Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:01 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ramsey county courthouse carry 
 Post subject: Ramsey county courthouse carry
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:00 am 
Journeyman Member

I need to head down to the Ramsey County Courthouse today to contest a parking ticket, two actually. Now from everything I remember, carry in the courthouse buildings is perfectly legal. However, haven't some judges declared them "gun free zones." Does this just apply to the court rooms themselves? I'm not worried about a noncompliant sign, just the straight legal issue.

Who would of thought you need a parking permit to park in front of your own house? :bang:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:24 am 
Wise Elder

Based on my visit last year, in Ramsey County, the judges have declared the entire courthouse a "gun free courtroom." BUT, the security guards are very nice about it. They provide a lock box for you to place your holstered gun in while you are in the courthouse. Just tell them you need to secure your firearm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:27 am 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:
Based on my visit last year, in Ramsey County, the judges have declared the entire courthouse a "gun free courtroom." BUT, the security guards are very nice about it. They provide a lock box for you to place your holstered gun in while you are in the courthouse. Just tell them you need to secure your firearm.

That's pretty cool of them. It's a much better option than leaving it in the car.

Post subject: Re: Ramsey county courthouse carry
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:40 am 
Longtime Regular

teamgreen02 wrote:
Now from everything I remember, carry in the courthouse buildings is perfectly legal.

IF there isn't a court order to the contrary ,
AND IF you have notified the county sheriff of your intent to carry,*
THEN it is legal to carry.

Ramsey has that court order. :(

* See MN Stat 609.66

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:56 am 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:

Or, if you want to be a little pissy, tell them you need to secure your fire<I>arms</I>, then pull a half-dozen out of concealment. That's what I plan on doing next time I have business there.

Of course, I may not be the best example to follow . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

bkrafft wrote:
tell them you need to secure your fire<I>arms</I>, then pull a half-dozen out of concealment.

Camera crew in tow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:09 pm 

bkrafft wrote:
tell them you need to secure your fire<I>arms</I>, then pull a half-dozen out of concealment.

and a BIG HONKIN one out of "not concealment"!
:lol:

gun control means hitting where you aim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
bkrafft wrote:

Camera crew in tow?

Perhaps better would be a couple of folks who 'just happen' to stop by with <a href=http://www.scdlink.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=1385&category=18 target=new>discrete video recorders</a> in hand . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:27 pm 
Journeyman Member

Just got back. I wasn't hassled at all. I parked across the street from the hotel next door, at a meter. There were a few people in line when I got there. I put everything besides my gun in the tote and then told the guy I had a firearm to secure. He looked at my permit and DL. I took off the gun/holster and put it in the lock box. I came back about 15 minutes later and got my gun back. The only questions I was asked is what I carried, not that it matter, they were just curious.

The only problem I had was it took forever for the guy to get the lock box open and closed. The lock didn't want to cooperate. They said they've only used it a handful of times. They'll be using it again when I go back next week. :bang:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:29 pm 

Glad everthing went well when you secured except for the lock. Bring some WD-40 next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:21 am 
Journeyman Member

pezhead wrote:
Glad everthing went well when you secured except for the lock. Bring some WD-40 next time.

WD-40 will stick up a lock over time, use powdered graphite instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:22 am 
Longtime Regular

Congrats on the firearm results. Seems reasonable.

Any luck on the parking tickets? In our last house, one of our cars continually got tickets from Metro Transit for some reason, not that a bus ever drove by, but whatever. I can understand how you may have issue with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:51 pm 
Journeyman Member

I went back down there today. I was heading to campus afterwords, so I wasn't carrying. I did beep going through the metal detector. He wanded my RIGHT pocket (which pocket matters later), didn't deep. Then wanded my LEFT pocket, beeped. Forgot my cell phone in the LEFT pocket. Took that out and he wanded my LEFT pocket again, good to go.

While waiting to appeal my ticket I went to put something in my RIGHT pocket. I noticed I had my pocket knife clipped to the little pocket on the RIGHT side. On days when I can't carry, I make sure I have at least a pocket knife on me. I think it is a 3 inch blade. I always attach it to the little pocket on the RIGHT so I have fast access if I need it. I'm not sure what they would have done had they found that when I walked through.

I got my tickets thrown out, and I got the hell out of there!

Oh, and they made me fill out this survey stating what race I was. I thought that stuff was purely optional? They gave me the survey and asked for it back before I left, so I didn't have much of an option. Only I Ramsey County I guess.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:03 pm 
Gun-Toting Liberal

I was unaware there was anything but the human race. I leave the ethnicity boxes blank as a general rule.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

I usually check Native American as I was born in this country.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.