Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:56 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Drinking while carrying 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am 
Journeyman Member

I think you guys are talking past each other. My take on this is there are people in this world to whom drinking is very important. I know it’s not a matter of luck entirely whether you’re like that or not. However, unless you are one of the others, i.e. you plan to enjoy the one you have in your hand BUT in your heart of hearts you don’t give a damn if there’ll ever be another, then Andrew just gave you the rules. And you’ll be needing a designated gunbearer.

Regards, Porkie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:47 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
JimC wrote:
LEAVE IT AT HOME TO BEGIN WITH!!!!!!

If you're going to drink, Lock the gun up!!!!! Stay away from guns & booze!!!

Your life & others depend on it.
That's not a horribly wrong thing to do, but . . .

I'm going out to dinner with my wife, say, at a nice restaurant in downtown Minneapolis. I'm planning on having a glass of wine with dinner -- been known to do that. The notion that I'm doing something more risky by carrying my gun with me than I am by leaving it at home is not exactly obvious to me. It's clearly not unlawful in MN -- I'm not going to be anywhere near .04.

If it's so obviously such a bad idea, could you, like, fill in the dots and explain why?

Dear Joel,
You just don't understand. What you are advocating is personal responsibility. That is old fashion and outdated. You need to get with the times. There are folks that simply cannot stop at a glass of wine, therefore for the protection of us all we should have a law prohibiting any consumption of alcohol while carrying. We need a law that will not permit folks with guns any where near a place that serves alcohol. We should just make a law that says if you have a carry permit you must not ever drink alcohol at all whether carrying or not. Alcohol has caused so many problems in our society that these law would go along way to making us all better. We tried banning alcohol, but that did not work so.... Lets just restrict activitys that you can do while drinking that poison. Freedom is an old fashion concept the must be done away with if we are all to stay safe. Do it for the children. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:58 am 

jaysong wrote:
joelr wrote:
JimC wrote:
LEAVE IT AT HOME TO BEGIN WITH!!!!!!

If you're going to drink, Lock the gun up!!!!! Stay away from guns & booze!!!

Your life & others depend on it.
That's not a horribly wrong thing to do, but . . .

I'm going out to dinner with my wife, say, at a nice restaurant in downtown Minneapolis. I'm planning on having a glass of wine with dinner -- been known to do that. The notion that I'm doing something more risky by carrying my gun with me than I am by leaving it at home is not exactly obvious to me. It's clearly not unlawful in MN -- I'm not going to be anywhere near .04.

If it's so obviously such a bad idea, could you, like, fill in the dots and explain why?

Dear Joel,
You just don't understand. What you are advocating is personal responsibility. That is old fashion and outdated. You need to get with the times. There are folks that simply cannot stop at a glass of wine, therefore for the protection of us all we should have a law prohibiting any consumption of alcohol while carrying. We need a law that will not permit folks with guns any where near a place that serves alcohol. We should just make a law that says if you have a carry permit you must not ever drink alcohol at all whether carrying or not. Alcohol has caused so many problems in our society that these law would go along way to making us all better. We tried banning alcohol, but that did not work so.... Lets just restrict activitys that you can do while drinking that poison. Freedom is an old fashion concept the must be done away with if we are all to stay safe. Do it for the children. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

I agree.
I am one of the fortunate people that CAN say no to a second drink.
However, If a law was brought forward prohibiting ANY consumption of alcohol ( while carrying ) I would be ok with that and not have any!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:03 am 
Longtime Regular

Macx wrote:
... figure out ahead of time how much you can safely have based on the pretty standard...

I need to gain some more weight so I can drink more.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:05 am 
Longtime Regular

mnmike59,
I am not in favor of that at all. The tone of my telling Joel he does not get it, and the wink at the end were intended to be sarcasm. I am not in favor of any laws. Sorry if that was not clear to you as you do not know me and I understand how you could read it that I am serious. Sorry for that. :oops: I could not disagree with you more, but you are entitled to you opinion. As wrong as I think may be. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:05 am 
Longtime Regular

A couple things That I think need clarification.

mitchx3 wrote:
I would suggest leaving it in the holster when putting in the trunk, more so if this is after the couple drinks. Clearing a weapon after drinking seems like a worse idea than carrying it if you weigh the physical dangers against the legal dangers.

DO NOT DO THIS! I understand the reasoning but if you have a loaded gun anywhere in the vehicle, it's still considered carrying. If you're anywhere near .04 you fall under the transport provisions which means a) UNLOADED and b) either completely closed in a container or in the trunk.

mnmike59 wrote:
If a law was brought forward prohibiting ANY consumption of alcohol ( while carrying ) I would be ok with that and not have any!

If a law was brought forward that because some people can not be trusted to control their behavior ALL of us need to be restrained and rendered less able to defend ourselves, I'd be VERY pissed!

If the law passed, I'd be able to follow it but it would still be WRONG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:07 am 
Longtime Regular

mnmike59 wrote:
However, If a law was brought forward prohibiting ANY consumption of alcohol ( while carrying ) I would be ok with that and not have any!

So your vote is to limit personal responsibility and liberty in favor of letting the government run your life? That's pleasant.

I'll be safer if you don't carry a gun at all because some other guy can't control his actions with his gun, so can we outlaw carry altogether?

Shoot, some other guy somewhere else hit a kid with a car. Can we yank your license and force you to walk, since it's for the children?

Dammit, I knew a guy once who beat his wife. It wasn't you, but we should amputate your hands anyway, just to remove the potential.

It's all for safety, right?

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:10 am 
Longtime Regular

mnmike59, I guess I may have unintentionally bated you into a shitstorm. Sorry brother. :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:54 am 
Longtime Regular

EastSideRich wrote:
Hypothetically, assume you are carrying and somehow you are force-fed three or four drinks by an assailant who then flees before you have a chance to shoot him. What do you do for the ride home?

Did you watch "North by Northwest" Saturday Night on PBS, too?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:01 am 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:
Macx wrote:
... figure out ahead of time how much you can safely have based on the pretty standard...

I need to gain some more weight so I can drink more.

Yeah, if you are a lightweight. This whole game is played on the field of BAC and that is in effect a ratio of alcohol to blood & bigger folk carry more. Tolerance doesn't mean a thing here, it is all about the ratio. One aspect on the other side to be aware of, is that fatter folks get rid of alcohol slowwer, so while they may be able to take in 2 drinks in the first hour . .. . one in the next hour might be the safer way to stay under .04. A tall slender 205 pounder like myself will evacuate alcohol faster than someone my weight a foot shorter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:34 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
A couple things That I think need clarification.

mitchx3 wrote:
I would suggest leaving it in the holster when putting in the trunk, more so if this is after the couple drinks. Clearing a weapon after drinking seems like a worse idea than carrying it if you weigh the physical dangers against the legal dangers.

DO NOT DO THIS! I understand the reasoning but if you have a loaded gun anywhere in the vehicle, it's still considered carrying. If you're anywhere near .04 you fall under the transport provisions which means a) UNLOADED and b) either completely closed in a container or in the trunk.

Yep. Whether you're going to clear the weapon or not, the time to put it into the trunk is BEFORE you start drinking, not after you come out of the bar, drunk.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:41 pm 
The Man

jdege wrote:
joelr wrote:

There are people for whom a plan to have only one drink is predestined to fail. If there's some question over your ability to stop at one, or of your ability to say "no thanks" when your friends starts pushing you to have a second, then you should plan your evening appropriately.

But if you are, like me, confident in your ability to stop at one, I don't see a problem.
Yup. I think that at least many (probably most) people are unable to stop at n drinks, as their judgment about how much to drink has been intoxicated away. I know from personal experience that, for me n > 1; never had a time when I had decided I was going to have exactly one drink when I had as many as two.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

I thought everyone came with a pop-up type gizmo that shows when you exceed the .04 limit. Unless you are “force-fed” which is extremely unlikely, decline the drinks. If you can’t decline alcohol laced drinks seek alcohol dependency treatment. You’ve got a problem and need to face it. If you think you are going to be drinking and because of your problem won’t be able to abstain, don’t bring a gun. This is pretty simple.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:12 pm 

jaysong wrote:
mnmike59, I guess I may have unintentionally bated you into a shitstorm. Sorry brother. :P

LMAO! No problem.

I really do not want any more laws thrown on us and would prefer much less government. I merely stated that IF there was a zero tolerance alcohol consumption I'd be ok with it because I personally don't need to drink.
DO I THINK WE SHOULD? HELL NO. I guess I didnt explain myself as usual!
I all too often say shit without rereading it and everyone jumps on my case.
SORRY. Oh well, I'm fairly new here so I'll take that as my welcome. :shock:

And I also believe we should legalize Drugs. Tax them and I believe we would have a nice decline in violent crime.
Treat the drug induced people like you would a drunk person.
Is a drunk running around on the road any more or less dangerous than a drugged out person? There out there right now. can you spot them?
Ok Flame away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

welcome. No better way than right into the frying pan I guess :-)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.