Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:52 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Assume the doctor will want you to take your shirt off! 
 Post subject: Assume the doctor will want you to take your shirt off!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Went to the doctor yesterday for a biopsy on my nose (so, I now have what looks like a .177 pellet wound right between the eyes, and look a little more like my avatar).

This was at a clinic which has the sign which BANS GUNS IN THESE PREMISES. I normally ignore these signs, as do all reasonable people. "Concealed is concealed", as they say. And I'm going to have my nose looked at, and I don't conceal a weapon up my nose. So no problem, right? Wrong.

Turns out, if there's suspicion of a skin cancer, then a thorough and diligent doctor, such as this one, will want to check out lymph nodes and such on other parts of your body. So he asked me to take off my shirts. "Shirts", plural, to make it clear he meant the T-shirt too. After a few seconds of somewhat anxious thought, I showed him my permit and said that, "I need to tell you, I'm in violation of the sign on the door." His reaction was not approving, but not freaking out either. He asked me if I was in law enforcement; I simply said, "No." I offered to go out to the car and disarm, but he didn't want to waste the time, and just said, "If you don't tell, I won't tell." And we moved on to business. When we were done, he did instruct me not to bring it when I come back, but in a pretty good-natured way.

So the moral is, remember that your body is a holistic integrated system, and not a collection of unrelated parts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sounds like one time when off-body carry can be useful. I'm not generally a fan of it either, but I've had to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:52 pm 

I went to the Dr. to have a strep throat test done and was carrying. Had the Glock 27 in the Smart Carry holster so figured no one would be the wiser and didn't think they needed to look at anything else other then my throat.

Turns out Dr. wanted to listen to the lungs and had me pull my shirts up. I know she saw the black strap to the holster but most likely had no idea what it was. It did make me think what I would say if she freaked out though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

About 6 months ago I have a 82yo doc in my class. During introductions he told me and the rest of the class he had carried a gun since he was 14 and thought maybe he should get a permit. As I looked around the class I saw some :shock: 's.

8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Last year at Southdale I had to buy some new clothes for work. I was carrying my M&P in a SGH Double Clip. My dress shirt was tucked in so it wasn't covering the holster, but my jacket was covering it. I figured I'd just buy twice the number of shirts and pants I needed and return the ones that didn't fit.

I get to Penny's and start looking at shirts and ties and such and an older fella comes over to help me out. EXCELLENT service...he knew his stuff and wanted to make sure I had everything fitting perfectly.

It can be a challenge to find shirts that fit well so the he wanted to measure me up. I had to take my jacket off so he could measure my sleeve length and of course he picked my strong side. He never even batted an eyelash. Same thing in the dressing room. he wanted me to come out so he could see how everything fit and I wasn't about to leave my gun in the dressing room so I came out OC each time. That was my first time OC and ended up finishing up my shopping at the mall OC and I only noticed one person that obviously noticed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:13 pm 

For a check up when I went in, I left the shoulder holster on, with mags and left the handgun in the car in the lock box.

When she saw that holster at first, whoo-wee, she was nervous.

No gun made her day.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:17 pm 

Been 'going steady' with the same dermatologist for the past dozen years. The big (and improperly posted) BANS GUNS sign is right on the front door.

I made it gin clear to the Doc that I'll peel for her except for the P12,,,and the BUG.

And if that wasn't acceptable, well, doctors are like buses; wait ten minutes and here comes another one.

We're still going steady. :wink:

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:19 pm 

Always slips the mind to take the Kel-Tec P3AT out of my pants pocket, though... 'cept for schools and government buildings and the like. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

G27 wrote:
I went to the Dr. to have a strep throat test done and was carrying. Had the Glock 27 in the Smart Carry holster so figured no one would be the wiser and didn't think they needed to look at anything else other then my throat.

Turns out Dr. wanted to listen to the lungs and had me pull my shirts up. I know she saw the black strap to the holster but most likely had no idea what it was. It did make me think what I would say if she freaked out though.

She probably though 'thong'... :oops: or maybe garter belt...

:lol:

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:12 pm 

My Dr office is posted too. I don't carry in there since I usually don't want to be there and don't feel well. So I don't mind leaving the gun in the car.

Post subject: Men's Wearhouse
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:23 am 

I go to the Men's Wearhouse in Ridgedale. The store manager there, Brian, measured me for a suit, and even allowed a little more room for the IWB holster. They were cool with the whole thing. That's why I keep coming back.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.