Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:43 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Had an encounter with the Sheeple today. 
 Post subject: Had an encounter with the Sheeple today.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:06 pm 

Today I was standing in line waiting for the cash register. There were about ten people in front of me when I got there and I was waiting for about fifteen minutes. I'm staying situationally aware so I couldn't help but listen in on the two women standing in line directly behind me. Their conversation was regarding carrying guns and how the sign stops anybody from carrying a gun in the store. They had basically concluded anybody who wanted to carry a gun in public was nuts and you shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun out in public at all.

I was tempted to turn around and tell the two ladies that not only do I have a permit to carry a pistol, I'm carrying one right now. Moreover, just because they choose not to excercise all of their civil rights cause they think it's "nutty", doesn't mean they aren't safer because a portion of the population out there chooses to excercise theirs.

The main reason I chose to bite my tongue was because I was waiting in line at a US Post Office, ironically so I could ship out some gun parts I had sold online. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:20 am 

I was under the impression that USPS was off limits legally or a test case waiting to happen.

(My fogginess makes me think I should sit in on another class or re-read the book)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:27 am 

You are correct about the test case, but he did have legal business for being at the post office. My instructor said be discrete unless you have some extra money lying around to be that test case. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:34 am 

You're wearing Asbestos underwear right?

I occasionally carry in the PO but that's just "passive aggressive"
and lazy. Unless you're willing to be the test case in which case it's "righteous" but edgy.

After 5 years of carrying a pistol I have to consider the others in the civilian firearms community...I don't want to make other permit holders look bad through assinine behavior on my part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:32 am 
Longtime Regular

12smile wrote:
After 5 years of carrying a pistol I have to consider the others in the civilian firearms community...I don't want to make other permit holders look bad through assinine behavior on my part.

That is exactly why people with permits are smarter than the rest of the public. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:55 am 
Longtime Regular

"The main reason I chose to bite my tongue was because I am smart" would be a viable line for you. Thanks for the restraint. People as dumb as the sheeple you describe can't be persuaded by a casual conversation or even logic. They need to be mugged or raped or have that happen to someone they know, so that they will "get it" . . . that the fundamental right to self defense IS important and not exercising it is nutty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:43 am 

One guy at work just got married and they are now having a baby. He asked my advice for a home defense weapon. The discussion turned to permits and he said he was opposed to CC. Said it would turn the world into "the Old West" with shootouts over every dispute.

I told him that I wouldn't discuss firearms with him; he could seek his advice elsewhere and now I limit conversing with him to solely business related matters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Oh, goody. You turned a chance to change minds into cementing an "all gun carriers are assholes" belief.

You must be very proud -- you sure showed him!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:51 am 
Forum Moderator

You may be missing a chance to get him better informed, the facts are on our side.

You might ask him "where is this wild west of which you speak?"! We've had carry for six years now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:55 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm one of the Gun guys at work. People know I'm interested. People know I either have some experience and thought on the matter or can point them to sources.

I've had several carry permit discussions, even ones mirroring RodentMan's ... I chose to be glad they're thinking self defense and home defense, take the opportunity to give them good advice and good sources and hope I can get them hooked on shooting or self defense and eventually expand their comfort zone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

You could of asked him to explain why the past 5 years hasn't seen the reurn of the old west. Point it out
I'd still talk to him, just take it easy and work on him slowly.

Rodentman wrote:
One guy at work just got married and they are now having a baby. He asked my advice for a home defense weapon. The discussion turned to permits and he said he was opposed to CC. Said it would turn the world into "the Old West" with shootouts over every dispute.

I told him that I wouldn't discuss firearms with him; he could seek his advice elsewhere and now I limit conversing with him to solely business related matters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:48 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Oh, goody. You turned a chance to change minds into cementing an "all gun carriers are assholes" belief.

Yeah, well, considering that you don't know these people, or me for that matter, I find your comment a bit sharp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Nah, it's pretty clear what happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:07 pm 

Rodentman wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

Yeah, well, considering that you don't know these people, or me for that matter, I find your comment a bit sharp.

Get used to it, R-man. That's the way it goes around here at times. Accept it and hang around, or move on 'cause you don't like it.

Reluctantly, I made my choice.... hence my post.

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:04 am 

I don't understand the nastiness and invective, frankly, especially among a local MN group which I thought would be more cohesive and understanding.

Clearly I was wrong.

Seems that the rigtht to carry has cultivated a culture an "attitude." I see it here and on other gun forums as well.

Too bad the clique doesn't allow for personalities and views that deviate from your narrow scope.

I turned away from the bozos at work because we have a lot of work to do, I need to work with these people, and in the "emploer parking lot" thread advice was given to stifle the gun carry talk in the workplace.

Good luck to you all.

Close my account.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.