Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:17 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Had an encounter with the Sheeple today. 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:09 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Warranted? Really?

Like I said, you aren't wrong, just 'sharp'. Like his comments towards coworkers or whomever, you are doing the same to him. You are essentially pushing Rodentman away from this forum/carrying/firearms. Who knows how he's going to react to sharp comments here. Sure that's his problem. But, he could be thinking the same about the people he made his comments to.

Andrew, I see you as an activist. Activists tend to be showy(lack of better word). That excitement doesn't translate the same in text. Especially with the use of the word "asshole". Because I see you as the Activist, I can see the message behind the words, without seeing the sharp tone. Others will not.

Scenario:
If a waitress screws up an order, you could yell at her. You're not wrong. But, then you are the asshole. You open carry. You'd be a unruly customer with a gun. Now you deal with the cops. Wouldn't it be better to use a polite tone?

We (the forum, the community) really need to be more inviting to outsiders and newbies. That starts with the tone. The anti's and the brainwashed-by-anti's will be immediately turned off by the tone. It doesn't matter if what was said was warranted, if the tone turns people off.

Last edited by Pakrat on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:11 am 
Forum Moderator

Pakrat wrote:
Warranted? Really?

Like I said, you aren't wrong, just 'sharp'. Just as you criticized Rodentman for his comments towards whomever, you are doing the same to him. You are essentially pushing Rodentman away from this forum/carrying/firearms. Who knows how he's going to react to sharp comments here. Sure that's his problem. But, he could be thinking the same about the people he made his comments to.

Andrew, I see you as an activist. Activists tend to be showy(lack of better word). That excitement doesn't translate the same in text. Especially with the use of the word "asshole". Because I see you as the Activist, I can see the message behind the words, without seeing the sharp tone. Others will not.

Scenario:
If a waitress screws up an order, you could yell at her. You're not wrong. But, then you are the asshole. You open carry. You'd be a unruly customer with a gun. Now you deal with the cops. Wouldn't it be better to use a polite tone?

We (the forum, the community) really need to be more inviting to outsiders and newbies. That starts with the tone. The anti's and the brainwashed-by-anti's will be immediately turned off by the tone. It doesn't matter if what was said was warranted, if the tone turns people off.

+1

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:11 am 

I will give this one more try because I really would like to stay with the forum because of its local focus and subject matter.

I admit I was wrong in the careless handling of the pistol at the gun shop. But the man's reaction, which you did not see, was over the top and mean spirited and that's what I objected to. Again I admit the error, after discussing it with an NRA instructor who is on the east coast, a friend of mine for 40 years, and not part of this or any other forum, who has clarified the muzzle sweep concern.

I do not wish to discuss handguns or make recommendations to co-workers especially if they are anti carry. That is my right and I fail to see how that sends a message that all permit holders are "assholes." My employer runs a tight ship and I probably shouldn't be discussing firearms here in any capacity.....

I find much of the invective leveled at me is unnecessarily harsh. And not "civil."

The message I read is that I am NOT wanted here. It's pretty obvious. That's what I meant by the "swine song" attempt at humor.

Can we put this behind us and move along? Can we call off the dogs now, so to speak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Thanks for taking the time to double check your reactions. That's a healthy thing to do, especially when called on them.

I think a lot of the issue was in presentation. We all know that body language and inflection doesn't translate well to the web but when a majority of the responders read your post the same way ..... perhaps there was some shading there.

Overall, it came across a superior, condescending, and "that showed him" which is not the same as your reasoned after the fact explanation.

To some that reads as trying to explain yourself out of the corner you painted yourself into.

Stick around, contribute, learn, we can always use reasoned voices.

Paul

Last edited by plblark on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:37 am 
The Man

Historically, R, the best way to continue a thread has been shown to be to tell people to stop posting in it.

Really.

You're welcome to participate here, or not; your call. But if you keep posting on this thread, it's vanishingly unlikely that that'll shut it down.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.