Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:17 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Open Carry in Wisc 
 Post subject: Open Carry in Wisc
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:56 pm 
Journeyman Member

Anyone know what happens if one carries open around St. Croix Falls, Wisc?
I go to Walmat and Menards there and hate having to disarm every time we cross into Wis.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Legal sheet http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf

Recent article http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=9&SubSectionID=9&ArticleID=8970

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
"They shortly discovered Brad had no criminal record and was lawfully openly carrying on his own property, but instead of releasing him and returning his weapon, they tried to figure out how to arrest him.

Wow. Painfully familiar. The "we don't enforce the law, we ARE the law" attitude. And people wonder why I don't trust (most) cops. This is why I keep a good lawyer on my cell phones speed dial.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Binky .357 wrote:
This is why I keep a good lawyer on my cell phones speed dial.

`Cause a gun-confiscating cop surely won't take your cel phone. ;)

Carry the card, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:01 pm 

I hear ya, as I too have the same issues, living only 15 minutes away from St. Croix Falls. Do you disarm when you get there, or decide to just leave the gun at home? Niether option is any fun, but I would rather not leave my gun in the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:06 pm 

GABCO I see you are from Lindstrom too.

Post subject: Open-carry in Wisc re:Brad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:54 am 
Journeyman Member

I only pick battles when I have a stratagy to win and I don't at this time.
I understand that the NRA will not help Brad - please correct me if I'm wrong. He can use all the help he can get. I can't imagine how violated he must feel as he was on his own property.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Indeed, Wisconsin remains one of only two states in the nation not to allow some form of concealed carry, and one of the most-repeated arguments used by concealed-carry opponents is that it is not necessary because citizens can openly carry their guns.

Then attorney general Jim Doyle used that precise argument before the state Supreme Court in Wisconsin v Hamdan, in which the state carved out a concealed weapon exemption for small business owners.

As governor, Doyle reportedly reiterated his belief at a Lake Delton press conference, in which The Wisconsin Dells Events quoted him as saying, "If you want to carry a gun in Wisconsin, wear it on your hip."

And in a follow-up piece found at http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=9&SubSectionID=9&ArticleID=8985 we find out:

Quote:
As conflicts over of the open carry of firearms mushroom in the state, Wisconsin attorney general J.B. Van Hollen is declining to issue a legal opinion about whether the practice is legal.

In a Nov. 6, 2008, letter to then state Rep. Terry Musser (R-Black River Falls), deputy attorney general Raymond Taffora acknowledged a number of requests for just such an opinion, as well as a growing number of arrests for carrying firearms in plain view, mostly on the charge of disorderly conduct.

On behalf of an unnamed constituent, Musser had specifically asked for an opinion about the open carrying of firearms for personal defense, but Taffora told him there were prudent legal reasons for the attorney general not to get involved.

I wonder if a desire to be Governor some day is one of those "prudent legal reasons for the attorney general not to get involved"?

Quote:
First, he noted, state statutes provide that the attorney general can only provide formal opinions to the governor, the Legislature, state officers and agencies, corporation counsels, and district attorneys. The attorney general cannot issue formal opinions to cities, towns, villages or other municipal attorneys or private citizens.

Hmmm, okay so provide a formal opinion to the district attorneys that since

Quote:
the Wisconsin Supreme Court has determined that an otherwise reasonable exercise of police power cannot be invoked in a way that 'destroys,' 'frustrates,' or 'nullifies' the constitutional right to bear arms

open carry is perfectly lawful and <I>a civil right</i> and any LEOs or departments who act in such a way "that 'destroys,' 'frustrates,' or 'nullifies'" that right are to be brought up on charges for civil rights violations.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.