Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:40 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Giving my son a handgun 
 Post subject: Giving my son a handgun
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:40 pm 

First post here. I tried doing a search but did not come up with much.

I'm fairly certain this is just fine, but I'd like to make sure. My son will be turning 19 next month and I'd like to give him a handgun that he's grown up shooting. I know the age to purchase from a FFL is 21, but can he legally possess the handgun being over 18? Not CCW of course, but transport legally from home to range, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:28 pm 
Journeyman Member

he could carry on a north dakota non resident permit at 18. and as far as i know there is no legality against as long as his record supports him having a handgun(i.e. no criminal record or mental health issues)

people that are more knowledgeable please correct if i am wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

MN
Quote:
624.713 CERTAIN PERSONS NOT TO POSSESS FIREARMS.
Subdivision 1. Ineligible persons. The following persons shall not be entitled to possess a
pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon or, except for clause (a), any other firearm:
(a) a person under the age of 18 years except that a person under 18 may carry or possess
a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon (i) in the actual presence or under the
direct supervision of the person's parent or guardian, (ii) for the purpose of military drill under
the auspices of a legally recognized military organization and under competent supervision,
(iii) for the purpose of instruction, competition, or target practice on a firing range approved
by the chief of police or county sheriff in whose jurisdiction the range is located and under
direct supervision; or (iv) if the person has successfully completed a course designed to teach
marksmanship and safety with a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon and
approved by the commissioner of natural resources;
https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin ... um=624.713

IANAL, but this is the statute that came to mind. Feel free to click the link and read through the whole, but it looks like 18 is the limit for posession . . . 21 to buy and carry of course.

Again, IANAL. Also, this one of a couple statutes I am most well read in, and there may be some other statute with some clause I am less familiar with, so don't take my answer as the final word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:52 pm 

I really appreciate the help guys.

TLRSKUNK wrote:
he could carry on a north dakota non resident permit at 18. and as far as i know there is no legality against as long as his record supports him having a handgun(i.e. no criminal record or mental health issues)

people that are more knowledgeable please correct if i am wrong.

Could you give me some more information on the non resident permit? I'd like my son to be able to carry but with his age he can't get a MN permit of course, and I didn't know of any reciprocity there?

edit: And I checked this site here http://www.ag.nd.gov/bci/CW/reciprocity.htm and it shows no reciprocity with minnesota?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:53 pm 
Journeyman Member

check with Gary Shade at firearmsandliberty.com he explains on his website and i believe his daughter (<21) carries on a north dakota permit. don't quote me exclusively but thats the best i can remeber.

edit: found a carry map and he could carry in ND on their non-res but not in MN i stand corrected.

Last edited by TLRSKUNK on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:05 pm 

TLRSKUNK wrote:
check with Gary Shade at firearmsandliberty.com he explains on his website and i believe his daughter (<21) carries on a north dakota permit. don't quote me exclusively but thats the best i can remeber.

edit: found a carry map and he could carry in ND on their non-res but not in MN i stand corrected.

Got my son and I's hopes up. Oh well, thanks for the info anyway :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

An 18-year-old in Minnesota...

CAN LEGALLY:
* Own a gun
* Purchase a non "assault" long gun from an FFL or a private party
* Purchase a handgun from a private party
* Do all these things:
(a) <...> keep or carry about the person's place of business, dwelling house, premises or on
land possessed by the person a pistol;
(b) <...> carry a pistol from a place of purchase to the person's dwelling house or place of
business, or from the person's dwelling house or place of business to or from a place where
repairing is done, to have the pistol repaired;
(c) <...> carry a pistol between the person's dwelling house and place of business;
(d) <...> carry a pistol in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this state for the purpose of
hunting or of target shooting in a safe area; or
(e) <...> transport a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile or boat if the pistol is unloaded,
contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, or securely tied package.

CANNOT LEGALLY:
* Be granted a Minnesota carry permit
* Purchase a firearm from an FFL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

It looks like it has been answered, but no MN person under 21 can legally carry in Minnesota under any State weapons permit. It is true that an 18 year old can get a ND non-resident permit...but...so what? It does diddly squat in Minnesota.

Having said that, many of my former high school students that now attend college/schools in ND as 18-29-20 yr. olds do have a ND permit and are legal....in ND.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:13 pm 
On time out

Andrew Rothman wrote:
(b) <...> carry a pistol from a place of purchase to the person's dwelling house or place of
business, or from the person's dwelling house or place of business to or from a place where
(c) <...> carry a pistol between the person's dwelling house and place of business;

About "b" and "c". Can the pistol be loaded during the course of either b or c for a non-permit holder?

Tia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dear Tia,

Indeed, there is nothing prohibiting that.

Magnum Mikie wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

About "b" and "c". Can the pistol be loaded during the course of either b or c for a non-permit holder?

Tia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:13 am 
Longtime Regular

The home -> business case has a couple caveats:
1) Fixed location: Cannot be a courier or cab driver. The business must have a fixed address.
2) Reasonable proximity: No cross country drive from home to business (obvious but there's case law on the books)
3) Direct: Don't stop at the bar. (Again, Case law)

It's legal but fairly specific. It's also a situation that's going to get technical to explain to a police officer on the side of the road at 2 am.

Another route would be unloaded in a gun rug, gun rug completely zipped and under front seat. Mag in pocket or in gun rug with gun but NOT in the magwell... Without a permit, that's the closest you can legally come to carry. It follows the transport laws in MN but leaves the gun in a position you could get to it if you had the time.

I could wish Shade had not mentioned the <21 carry only because that could be confused. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, when in ND, do as the NDians do but not in MN.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.