Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:51 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Deadly Force/Against Who or What? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:30 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
More coffee. :)

Gray wolf, or canis lupus, is another name for timber wolf.
JonnyB wrote:
Hmmm....

Isn't "Gray Wolf" the proper name for the all-too-common coyote?

Or, do I need more coffee this morning?

jb

OK. I did that.

Perhaps I'm thinking of the "Brush Wolf"?

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

I was thinking about this the other day.

609.06 and 609.065 deal directly with "another person" so would they apply to "use of force" and "taking of life" of an animal/pet/property?

609.066 does not state "another person" but does say "purpose of causing <...> death or great bodily harm" which I think can be assumed to mean death/GBH of another person. Since pets are considered property, I would think that 609.066 does not apply to death/GBH of property.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:47 pm 

Mosin,

I would pick up a large can of pepper spray and the next time the dog ventured into my yard I would hose him good. This does two things. Dogs are, in many cases, smarter than people and he probably won't wander back. If he does and you pick up the can once or twice he will likely leave and then not return. The second benefit if you hose him good is the chuckle you will get later when the owner grabs the dog to see why it is whining and begins to follow suit.

Or if you want to be a "good neighbor" you can always wait till you see the owner of the dog out, call them over and tell them exactly what will happen the next time the dog comes in your yard. I found this to be a real deal breaker, especially when you end the conversation with " I have heard this stuff takes days to wear off".... If they get snotty then take a picture the next time the dog comes in your yard and call the cops. In your most skittish voice explain you are scared to death of this dog as it has bit one of the other neighbors in the face and it is in you back yard right now and you can't reach the neighbor and there are little kid out (I know there probably aren't but there are somewhere right?) Nothing wakes up a rude pet owner like a blue uniform at the door!

Just a couple of "non violent" suggestions to control unruly neighbors, I mean dogs!

DonT
PS. I have owned dogs all my life and as a responsible pet owner this kind of thing really ticks me off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:49 pm 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation

DonT wrote:
Mosin,

I would pick up a large can of pepper spray and the next time the dog ventured into my yard I would hose him good. This does two things. Dogs are, in many cases, smarter than people and he probably won't wander back. If he does and you pick up the can once or twice he will likely leave and then not return. The second benefit if you hose him good is the chuckle you will get later when the owner grabs the dog to see why it is whining and begins to follow suit.

Or if you want to be a "good neighbor" you can always wait till you see the owner of the dog out, call them over and tell them exactly what will happen the next time the dog comes in your yard. I found this to be a real deal breaker, especially when you end the conversation with " I have heard this stuff takes days to wear off".... If they get snotty then take a picture the next time the dog comes in your yard and call the cops. In your most skittish voice explain you are scared to death of this dog as it has bit one of the other neighbors in the face and it is in you back yard right now and you can't reach the neighbor and there are little kid out (I know there probably aren't but there are somewhere right?) Nothing wakes up a rude pet owner like a blue uniform at the door!

Just a couple of "non violent" suggestions to control unruly neighbors, I mean dogs!

DonT
PS. I have owned dogs all my life and as a responsible pet owner this kind of thing really ticks me off.

I was just thinking the other day that I need to stock up on non-lethal alternatives. We bought the kids some spray a year ago but I don't have any for myself.

These neighbors know their dogs get out and they don't seem to care one bit. I am going to spray these dogs when it happens again. Thanks for the idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:58 pm 

Mosin,

No problem. I use Xmas as an excuse to pick up pepper spray for stocking stuffers for my kids and their significant others. I also include those cheap toss away ponchos and space blanket. I attach a little note to the pepper spray telling them to toss the old one and replace it with the new one.

As for the dog, its too bad the dog has to take the blunt end of things since it is really the neighbor that needs a good dousing. Maybe when the time comes to douse the dog the neighbor will be downwind and you can get double the fun, by accident of course.

Take care..
DonT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:14 pm 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation

DonT wrote:
Mosin,

No problem. I use Xmas as an excuse to pick up pepper spray for stocking stuffers for my kids and their significant others. I also include those cheap toss away ponchos and space blanket. I attach a little note to the pepper spray telling them to toss the old one and replace it with the new one.

As for the dog, its too bad the dog has to take the blunt end of things since it is really the neighbor that needs a good dousing. Maybe when the time comes to douse the dog the neighbor will be downwind and you can get double the fun, by accident of course.

Take care..
DonT

Or maybe the neighbor will get upset, come onto my property, not comply with my demands to leave, and get sprayed himself. :)

It's not premeditated if you discuss it on an online forum under an alias, is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:31 pm 

Discuss What?????? :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.