Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:25 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Shooting in Minneapolis - Cooperated Still Shot 
 Post subject: Shooting in Minneapolis - Cooperated Still Shot
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Story as reported in WCCO:

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_078110804.html

Leaving restuarant with child, approached by perp who demands purse. Woman cooperates, handing over purse. Perp shoots her son after the purse is recieved.

Well, thank you Sarah Brady for teaching people to cooperate with violent felons, because, after all, it's only common sense that a violent, socio-pathic criminal can be trusted to not hurt you if you cooperate. But then again, I've never understood why the cities with the highest crime rates are given "A" ratings by the Brady Campaign.

Well, the perp lines up his gun on your kid or my kid, I don't need Micheal Moore or Jane Fonda or Rosie O'Donnel to tell me that my kid's life isn't worth saving, so [deleted] them. :evil:

Post subject: Re: Shooting in Minneapolis - Cooperated Still Shot
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

lance22 wrote:

Well, thank you Sarah Brady for teaching people to cooperate with violent felons, because, after all, it's only common sense that a violent, socio-pathic criminal can be trusted to not hurt you if you cooperate. But then again, I've never understood why the cities with the highest crime rates are given "A" ratings by the Brady Campaign.

:

Because to the Brady Bunch and their ilk it is not about crime control, it is about people control. Any tool that could be used to support the notion of self reliance is an evil tool. Particularly if said tool is a gun.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks, lance22. :!:

I just made a copy of that story and e-mailed it to my friends who know (and are not concerned) that I carry.

Maybe they will start thinking about themselves. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:26 pm 

My deepest sympathy for the family. Of course, it was the gun's fault, right Sarah?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

The Bradys love unarmed victims and so do criminals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

The "child" was 25. That notwithstanding, this is exactly why I'm trying to get a functional patrol started here in Uptown. This was on my street, just 3 blocks from my house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:21 pm 
on probation

Lets put together a shopping march in uptown and open carry and walk around uptown for a few hrs. On 3-23rd Thursday at 6:15 PM. We can do a press release. Lets try to get 50 people together on this. The police can't help the shoppers. Lets surport the shops in uptown that day. More info call me 612-827-3832

Last edited by lastgunshop on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:27 pm 
on probation

Please note this is a shopping march NOT a Patrol

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:40 pm 

I'm in. I may have to bring my puppy, an 11-month-old Rottweiler. He'll have been cooped up in his kennel all day and I don't want to make him spend the entire night in his crate too. He's a good dog and he likes to shop.

Bristol’s Bastards: In Iraq with the 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry of Minnesota’s National Guard: Bravo Company of Minnesota’s National Guard fought alongside the Marine Corp in Al Anbar province through the deadliest period of Operation Iraqi Freedom, kicking down doors, dodging IEDs, battling insurgents, and trying to help one another survive in the deadliest place on earth. Available in bookstores everywhere. For autographed copies, visit bristolsbastards.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:46 pm 
on probation

Lets show the shops in uptown that we will support them by buying from their shops. Lets meet at the shop here, this week to plan out what we should do and how. Or meet here on that day about 45 mins before we go out. Lets do this right.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:19 am 
Longtime Regular

From the Star Tribune:

Quote:
Man shot during Uptown robbery in critical condition

A 25-year-old man is in critical condition after he was shot during a robbery Saturday in Minneapolis' Uptown area.

Police said the man, whose identity was not released, and his mother, sister and a friend were walking to their car *when two men approached them about 9:55 p.m. in the 3100 block of Girard Avenue S.** in the Carag neighborhood. The group had just come from a restaurant at Lake Street and Hennepin Avenue.

Police said the suspects demanded the mother's purse. She obliged and there was no struggle or resistance***, but one suspect then shot the man, police said.

Inspector Kris Arneson, who oversees the Fifth Precinct where the shooting occurred, said the suspects fled on foot and may have then gotten into a white car. No detailed descriptions of the suspects or car were available.

Police don't know if the robbery is linked to others.

"The situation is grave," Arneson said of the man's condition, adding that it's unusual for robbery suspects to shoot their victims.

Robberies have increased 39 percent citywide in the first 2½ months of 2006 compared with the same time last year, according to statistics released last week. There were 100 robberies reported in the Fifth Precinct this year compared with 60 at this time last year, Arneson said. A robbery task force is investigating the crimes, and patrols have been stepped up, she said.

Safety tips from police include traveling in groups, parking in lighted areas, carrying a cell phone, avoiding intoxication and not fighting back.

Anyone with information about the robbery can call police at 612-692-TIPS.

Well, these folks traveled in groups*, parked in a well-lit area**, didn't fight back***, and got shot anyway. I'm sure that they're comforted by the fact that robberies in Uptown only result in victims getting shot about once or twice a year.

:roll:

How's this?

Safety tips from people with their eyes open include avoiding high-crime areas like Uptown, carrying a gun and fighting back as if their life depended on it -- because it may.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:32 am 

When someone comes running at you in a situation like that, at what point are you justified to draw and shoot? These people were clearly unstable, violent psychopaths presenting an immediate threat to the lives of the victims, but at what point was that made clear to the point of justifying the use of legal force?

I had a friend who was mugged near Snelling and Marshall a couple of years back and in that case the threat was made clear. The man shouted as he ran towards my friend, "Give me your money, nigger bitch. I have a gun." (For the record my friend is white and his assailant was black.) My friend is an anti-hippy-bliss-ninny, and he says he never felt as if his life was actually in danger. I would have reacted much differently, drawing and firing into the man's center of mass the moment he said, "Give me your money." My friend never saw a gun--the guy had his hand in his pocket--but the moment the man threatened my life and said he had a gun, I would have surmised that my life was in immediate danger and reacted accordingly.

But in this case the danger seems both less clearly verbalized and more immediate and life threatening. The advice of the experts on this list would be much appreciated for future reference.

Bristol’s Bastards: In Iraq with the 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry of Minnesota’s National Guard: Bravo Company of Minnesota’s National Guard fought alongside the Marine Corp in Al Anbar province through the deadliest period of Operation Iraqi Freedom, kicking down doors, dodging IEDs, battling insurgents, and trying to help one another survive in the deadliest place on earth. Available in bookstores everywhere. For autographed copies, visit bristolsbastards.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Here's the URL for that quote:

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/317316.html

Here's some more stories:

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article ... yid=121161

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S14943.html?cat=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:29 am 
Longtime Regular

In answer to Lobotomy Boy:

The perp doesn't know what pocket you keep your money in. When they make their demand, you are justified in saying "okay, okay, let me get that for you" while drawwing your weapon and then following the course of action the perp demands. If for example the guy stops moving toward you puts his hands up and and says, "whoa man, shit, I was just bull shitting, I don't mean for anybody to get hurt" then you might keep your gun on them while calling 911 on your cell phone . . . . or if they present a weapon, cap'em . . . . . or if they keep moving toward you, cap'em.

Every situation is different though & there will always be some contingency that you could have pursued rather than shooting. . . you could instead of drawing ask him about his feelings about his mother and then give him a peace and mutual love talk, make a donation to his cause, and show him the understanding that you know it isn't his fault, it is really GWB's and those darn record labels that won't give him a billion dollars for expressing himself in a microphone. But pusuing those actions may get you shot in the head.

As for me - if a threat verbalizes on approach, it is time to draw, if they continue to approach or act in a threatening manner, such as reaching in their pocket for a gun, knife, screwdriver, box cutter, etc. it is time to shoot. If they run away, cool. If they run toward, bang.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:56 am 
Forum Moderator

Where do we stand legally drawing and possibly shooting someone demanding our wallets? If they don't immediately present a weapon but have their hands in their pocket?

My guess is that theoretically at least, someone pulling a gun on me has me in fear for my life, and it's copacetic.

My fear is that our County Attorney would disagree and claim that I was using deadly force to protect property, and it's hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Stillwater I go, Mr. Gross' skills and my life savings notwithstanding.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.