Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 long gun carry? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:13 am 
Forum Moderator

Sometimes the worst person in a class is the classic know-it-all.

I have had people from my class call or e-mail me questions that not only were clearly discussed, but also in the written material. People have many different learning and knowledge retention styles. An instructor cannot hit a home run for all people. Just the way it is.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:29 am 
Longtime Regular

I should have asked: "What did your instructor say when you asked him/her about this?" That would bring out whether it was taught in class, whether it was a student retention or an instruction issue, etc...

You're right about retention of information. add in perception filtering and we have a recipe for misunderstandings. I had a student talking on the way back from range exercise about a situation a "friend" had been in and asking "what-if? What would?" type questions ... My response was: "How would YOU answer your questions?" Took him a bit by surprise but with prompting and the justified use of force, he took the situation apart himself and realized how badly his "friend" screwed up and the possible consequences ... But that was with prompting and I KNOW we JUST discussed a couple scenarios in class.. He just hadn't put it together in his head yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:35 am 

WOW, The reason this came up was I am helping with firearms safety class for kids and the DNR was there last night. And I asked him how the DNR in-forced long gun carry. :?

Last edited by fastrak on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:42 am 

I tought this forum was to share info not try to call people out and ridicule.
May I should have been more specific to start with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:47 am 

Sietch wrote:
Heh. I like your avatar.

Several hours with photoshop.
It,s my XD sub com 40 in the pic (unloaded of corse) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:55 am 
Longtime Regular

I apologize for coming on so strongly about the issue. I should have just answered your question (which I did) and left it at that. The Instructor question didn't add anything to it.

There is a fair bit of consternation in the instructor community (hell with me it's jealousy). It appears some people locally are drawing lots of students with classes that don't cost much. No problem there. I'm just jealous of their apparent ability to cut corners and minimize their actual instruction investment in the class. I'm also Jealous of the money they make and very concerned with them turning out LOTS of permit holders with LOTS of questions that REALLY should be handled in any good class.

A student or two with weird remembered info? that's bad but on the student. A pattern of students with gaping holes in their information ... that's a problem.

The other contentious issue is that the DNR intends to enforce this though it should be superseded by statute. And they're doing it in the name of stopping poaching and road hunting ... which smacks of presumed guilt to me. You know, EVERY guy with a carry permit (with the accompanying background check and training) and a loaded rifle MUST be poaching ...what happened to Probable Cause and Presumption of Innocence?

If you're hearing this for the first time from a DNR officer, that's a gap in your knowledge. But now it's fixed, and good for you for seeking out the answers on your own.

If you meant to ask: "This is what the DNR officer said, Here's what I thought it was, HOW can they get away with this and is it correct?" Then we're having a very different conversation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:02 am 
Longtime Regular

fastrak wrote:
I tought this forum was to share info not try to call people out and ridicule.
May I should have been more specific to start with.

I missed the ridicule. This is open discussion about a gray area of the law.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:05 am 
Longtime Regular

Madcap_Magician wrote:
I can't think of a time where you'd need a loaded long gun in your vehicle that you wouldn't be able to load a ready magazine or shells, but I admit I haven't been thinking about that possibility for very long.

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... mob#137338

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:24 pm 

princewally wrote:
Madcap_Magician wrote:
I can't think of a time where you'd need a loaded long gun in your vehicle that you wouldn't be able to load a ready magazine or shells, but I admit I haven't been thinking about that possibility for very long.

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... mob#137338

That was hilarious!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
The transport law specifically allows handguns. While your permit makes the carry of a longarm legal, the Transport statutes do not exempt longarms and thus they will be applied and enforced according to the DNR.

this wasn't covered in your carry class?

This was not covered in either my initial class or the renewal class. I do not view this as MPPA related. I view it as transportation of a firearm related. While the two may be related, they are not identical twins. Meaning, some instructors view the info important, while others don't. I am not a hunter, will never be a hunter and will never go hunting. Hence, transporting a long gun is not important to me, and maybe my instructor is the same. If he had covered it, I would have paid attention, but because he did not does not render his class any less acceptable.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.