Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Expired Permit 
 Post subject: Expired Permit
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

Is the penalty for carrying on an expired permit enough to prevent you from getting a permit?

Post subject: Re: Expired Permit
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:49 pm 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation

gunflint wrote:
Is the penalty for carrying on an expired permit enough to prevent you from getting a permit?

There doesn't seem to be any special circumstance for expired permit. So your expired permit is the same as never having one. However, I would say it wouldn't stop you from getting a permit. Unless they thought your were a danger to yourself due to carrying without a permit.

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/sta ... id=624.714

Quote:
Subd. 1a.Permit required; penalty.

A person, other than a peace officer, as defined in section 626.84, subdivision 1, who carries, holds, or possesses a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile, or boat, or on or about the person's clothes or the person, or otherwise in possession or control in a public place, as defined in section 624.7181, subdivision 1, paragraph (c), without first having obtained a permit to carry the pistol is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. A person who is convicted a second or subsequent time is guilty of a felony.

And a gross misdemeanor doesn't seem to fall under any of.

Quote:
Subd. 6.Granting and denial of permits.

(a) The sheriff must, within 30 days after the date of receipt of the application packet described in subdivision 3:

(1) issue the permit to carry;

(2) deny the application for a permit to carry solely on the grounds that the applicant failed to qualify under the criteria described in subdivision 2, paragraph (b); or

(3) deny the application on the grounds that there exists a substantial likelihood that the applicant is a danger to self or the public if authorized to carry a pistol under a permit.

or

Quote:
Subd. 2.Where application made; authority to issue permit; criteria; scope.

(a) Applications by Minnesota residents for permits to carry shall be made to the county sheriff where the applicant resides. Nonresidents, as defined in section 171.01, subdivision 42, may apply to any sheriff.

(b) Unless a sheriff denies a permit under the exception set forth in subdivision 6, paragraph (a), clause (3), a sheriff must issue a permit to an applicant if the person:

(1) has training in the safe use of a pistol;

(2) is at least 21 years old and a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States;

(3) completes an application for a permit;

(4) is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under the following sections:

(i) 518B.01, subdivision 14;

(ii) 609.224, subdivision 3;

(iii) 609.2242, subdivision 3;

(iv) 609.749, subdivision 8;

(v) 624.713;

(vi) 624.719;

(vii) 629.715, subdivision 2;

(viii) 629.72, subdivision 2; or

(ix) any federal law; and

(5) is not listed in the criminal gang investigative data system under section 299C.091.

But I could be wrong. I don't know of any case law in regards to this and I didn't see any denials in the <a href="http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/CJIS/Documents/CarryPermit/2008PTSReport.pdf">BCA report</a> stating that it's ever happened.

If it were me, I'd get the permit renewed first.

April 19, 1775 the strongest military in the world attacked farmers and townspeople formed as militia in Concord. One year, 3 months, and 25,000 american casualties later, we would begin forming a government based on limited powers and individual liberties.

It's your constitution. They died for it. Read it. Know it.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution ... rview.html

http://LibertyMinnesota.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

HUH??? :?:

gunflint wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:12 am 
Longtime Regular

I agree with Mosin.
Mosin wrote:
If it were me, I'd get the permit renewed first.

When I turned in my permit application, the female deputy I spoke with (Brown County/New Ulm), said that there was a guy that came in to renew his permit the day before, but since it had expired, he was required to attend the required class and submit a 'new permit' application.....along with paying the 'new' permit fee (instead of the renewal fee).

The deputy then asked me, "How full was the class when you took it?"

After telling her the class was full and that upcoming classes were 'full' into May (based on the website for that particular instructor), she told me that "it'd be a darn good idea to attend the required renewal class about 6 months before your permit expires."

I could only agree.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:13 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't think that you can re-up your permit 6 months ahead although I could be wrong. I thought you had to wait until 30 days prior to expiration. I just completed my renewal course and got my application for renewal in before my old one expired but as of today my old one is expired and my renewal is in the mail.

From what I understand from the above reply's. If I carry before my renewed permit arrives I could be charged with a gross misdemeanor but it wouldn't cause me to loose my permit or prevent me from getting another one in 5 years. (If EBO will continue to generously grant us peasants this privileged.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:34 am 
Journeyman Member

EBO??!? I've heard of P-BO, but not EBO.

Bersa Thunder 380
Beretta 92FS
Smith and Wesson M&P15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:59 am 
Longtime Regular

Rotary12 wrote:

Just another way to be derogatory.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:11 am 
Longtime Regular

Derogatory doesn't begin to describe that disdain I hold towards Emperor Barrack Obama.= EBO

And for the left leaning members of our community skin color has nothing to do with. Stealing prosperity and crushing liberty do. Now back to the topic at hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:05 am 
The Man

Site owner ruling: criticism, no matter how harsh, of elected officials, is presumed to be about their conduct in office, absent other evidence. Not a problem.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:39 am 
Wise Elder

gunflint wrote:
I don't think that you can re-up your permit 6 months ahead although I could be wrong. I thought you had to wait until 30 days prior to expiration.

You can TAKE take the renewal course up to 11 months and 30 days in advance. You can APPLY for a renewal permit (effective on the expiration date of the old one) up to 90 days in advance of expiration or 30 days after.

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:09 am 
1911 tainted

gunflint wrote:
I don't think that you can re-up your permit 6 months ahead although I could be wrong. I thought you had to wait until 30 days prior to expiration.

When you say re-up, I assume you mean apply for a renewal of your permit. You can apply for a renewal up to 90 prior to the expiration date on your permit. Minnesota law states that you have to have training within one year of you applying for your renewal, so six months before your permit expires you can get into a class for the renewal. I like to tell people that have a Minnesota carry permit that expire in July or August, or those that expire during the fall hunting season when time is at a premium, to get into a class in January or February. Unless you are a hard core ice fisherman, get into a class during the the colder months in Minnesota and then when you need to apply for your renewal that comes due during the nicer months in Minnesota, you are good to go. The bottom line, training for an initial application or a renewal of a Minnesota permit to carry, the proof of training must be from a state recognized organization and taken within one year of the application.

kimberman wrote:
You can TAKE take the renewal course up to 11 months and 30 days in advance. You can APPLY for a renewal permit (effective on the expiration date of the old one) up to 90 days in advance of expiration or 30 days after. :P

And yes, what he said. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:17 am 
1911 tainted

Dick Unger wrote:
Rotary12 wrote:

Just another way to be derogatory.....

Really?!?!? :?

PBO = President Barack Obama.
I think this is just fine, just as many referred to our last President at "GW". :? but nobody seemed to raise a stink about that.

Now there are those that have nothing else to do,,, oh well...........

Now that I am guilty of severe thread drift, I apologize and hope that I have answered gunflint's question on renewal.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.