Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:19 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Open Carry and the Little "CCW Badge" 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:04 am 
The Man

MostlyHarmless wrote:
Rotary12 wrote:
Is there anything scariesr than an IT nerd packin'? :lol:

How about a balding man with a pony tail, bifocals, a coffee cup that says 0xdecafbad on it, and a laptop bag with a ballistic shield and integral holster? Just speculating. I myself have sufficient social skills that no one would believe I write device drivers for fun.
Well, who wouldn't? (Except for those l0sers, like me, who don't have the skilz, that is.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:13 am 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
Rotary12 wrote:
Is there anything scariesr than an IT nerd packin'? :lol:

How about a balding man with a pony tail, bifocals, a coffee cup that says 0xdecafbad on it, and a laptop bag with a ballistic shield and integral holster? Just speculating. I myself have sufficient social skills that no one would believe I write device drivers for fun.

Yeah, but in the end all of you hardware types have other disturbing little quirks. :lol:

Reminds me of my college days in the CS lab, where the hardware guys would just pace back and forth muttering in assembly...

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:07 am 

I know, I'm a bit late to the party, but I thought I would drop my two cents in.

Having traveled around the world and having visited some pretty "interesting" lands, I would have to say, riding a bike alone in a bad neighborhood with a badge is a bad idea. Even if you were a cop. From my experiences and speaking with other and reading news articles; in certain areas and within certain groups, cops have a bounty on them. Also, say wouldbe thug sees your gun and badge and thinks, "hey, here I can get a cop and his gun"...now what? Or say he sees your gun from a ways back and decides to just shoot you with his gun as you ride back and now had another gun and bragging rights to his hoodlum friends.

The point is, there is nothing you can do to PREVENT a crime. You can MINIMIZE it, but you can't PREVENT it. If a criminal has intentions on committing a crime, probably you aren't going to prevent that crime. We don't leave our doors open at night with a sign flashing saying "I'm in bed sleeping, help yourself!" Just like I wouldn't ride alone on a secluded bike path in a risky neighborhood. Best bet, find a friend to go with. Even better, find a new route where the danger is less.

The comment about, "I will not give up my amenities" I find kind of funny. We, as permit holders, are taught to be RELUCTANT PARTICIPANTS and yet we are going to go into the mouth of the beast. Doesn't sound very reluctant to me. We cross the street to avoid risk, but yet we will ride a bike into the most notorious parks in the metro?

By the way, I do not mean to disrespect anyone here. Just my $0.02.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:55 am 

Understood. But, I believe it comes back to, as citizens we should have to be afraid of our own communities. While I agree, riding a bike or walking in a known bad area is not a good idea, where does it end?

I live in Hopkins and have for many years. In the last four to five years there are now certain areas of the city where I consider them to be a bad area, this wasn't the case before. Some brazen enough to walk into a local business and walk out with over 6,000 dollars in Rolex watches. Caught on tape, walked, not ran. They didn't care. And, never caught, to my knowledge. Also, there was a smash and grab, talk about stupid criminals.... stole a truck, backed it through store window to steal a $150.00 laptop - that's it. There was a $2000 LCD TV right next to it. One of the fools left behind his cell phone, called it and the police caught him when he came to pick it up or they tracked it, whatever. Geez. Combine stupidity and crime and well... ain't good.

The hoodlums and criminals move around, especially when they are all thrown in section eight housing off Blake Road. You always see them lurking around and police presence heavy. It's like having a slice of Northeast right here in the suburbs. And, while you're in the area, stop by the Food Mart next to the Arby's for a pipe and bong. Apparently, since there's a demand, they stock them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:04 am 
Longtime Regular

Timothy Nelson wrote:
The hoodlums and criminals move around, especially when they are all thrown in section eight housing off Blake Road.

There's even a little prostitution ring run out of one of the little parks over there.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:09 am 

I saw a dirty ass syringe in the parking lot between the Arby's and Food Mart, with a pack of hoodlums sitting on those plastic milk crates. All I wanted was a 20 oz of Pepsi and got an adventure into the 'hood. Glad I had Mr. GLOCK & Mr. .380, to say the least.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:16 am 

A few weeks back right outside of the house, one of the neighbors had their SUV parked in front of their house. I noticed a pack of about 5 or 6 fine youths walking down the street (rather heard them from down the block) here's where it gets good. They get to the SUV and lurk and stand in front of it for I timed it, 26 minutes. Looking in it, hangin' around, yappin' their lingo... owner of the SUV peekin' out the window waiting for them to leave... They have come and they are here.

And, these neighbors say guns aren't needed in this nice 'ol suburb. Hope they don't start crackin' windows at 3AM, especially mine.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Fun criminal story:

Friend of mine did delivery of the local fishwrap in one of those marked, green step vans, middle of the night, in St. Louis Park. As he's driving down a residential street, some fine youths walk out into the street in front of him, to stop his vehicle. After some words are exchanged, to the effect of "don't be comin' round here les' you got yo posse!", he heard someone trying to get inside his vehicle through its back door. Having heard enough, he steps on his accelerator, forcing the youths in front of him to scamper for safety, as well as the one behind to dismount.

A few blocks later, as he was resuming his usual round, he encounters one of St. Louis Park's finest, and recounts his story. It so happened that it was during the middle-of-the-night shift change, and bar rush was over, so there were plenty of officers available. He allowed himself to be recruited into the police scheme, and was asked to drive to the point of the previous encounter, while the cops, with lights off, followed. (They pretty much emptied out the station house for this)

He stopped in the street, as he had earlier, turned on his dome light (a signal to the cops), and stood up in his vehicle. He was confronted by the same fine youth as before, "I thought I tol' you not to come back". He replied, "But this time, I brought my posse!". At that moment, the street was suddenly lit by about a dozen sets of blue and red lights, as cars converged from both ends of the block. The spokesman for the youths exhibited an expression described as "eyes like dinner plates", and with his cohorts retreated, first into the house they were using as a base, and then out its back door, badged public servants in pursuit.

My friend moved on to finish his work, but still chuckles about this, to this day.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Rand McNally wrote:
We, as permit holders, are taught to be RELUCTANT PARTICIPANTS and yet we are going to go into the mouth of the beast. Doesn't sound very reluctant to me. We cross the street to avoid risk, but yet we will ride a bike into the most notorious parks in the metro?

You may have misunderstood what you learned. The requirement of being a "reluctant participant" means that we can't be aggressors. It does not mean that we are obligated to avoid any sort of risk whatsoever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:18 pm 
1911 tainted

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Rand McNally wrote:
We, as permit holders, are taught to be RELUCTANT PARTICIPANTS and yet we are going to go into the mouth of the beast. Doesn't sound very reluctant to me. We cross the street to avoid risk, but yet we will ride a bike into the most notorious parks in the metro?

You may have misunderstood what you learned. The requirement of being a "reluctant participant" means that we can't be aggressors. It does not mean that we are obligated to avoid any sort of risk whatsoever.

You should be able carry on a normal life and not hide in your basement everyday. To carry on a normal life, if that means you want to go to a concert, a store that has a sale, or visit friends that may live in what is considered a bad part of town, you should be able to do so. I do not see doing these everyday things as being an aggressor in any way.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

See? We are in perfect agreement!
cobb wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
Rand McNally wrote:

You should be able carry on a normal life and not hide in your basement everyday. To carry on a normal life, if that means you want to go to a concert, a store that has a sale, or visit friends that may live in what is considered a bad part of town, you should be able to do so. I do not see doing these everyday things as being an aggressor in any way.

Post subject: Re: Why a Permit Badge may be useful
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:11 pm 

loan_god_1 wrote:
...explained that our sheriff had given me explicit permission to carry a firearm. I informed her that I was not breaking the law, and asked her if she had any questions for me.

This seems like a accurate and helpful way to describe the permission granted by the "highest authority in the land" -- or at least the county. I'm going to consider this for my repitoire for those rare times should someone become aware that I'm carrying...

I don't think it's overreaching...thoughts?

...DaddyBooks

Post subject: Re: CCW badge again
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:15 pm 

I think you are violating the " don't go anywhere with a gun that you wouldn't go without a gun " rule.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.