Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Sheriffs and required documents 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:48 pm 
Journeyman Member

As to the asking to see the original certificate, I don't see how it would be of any help to see it. looking at my certificate I think anyone with a computer, a printer and a basic knowledge of the windows paint program could forge it if they had seen one for reference. The certificates (at least mine) is not anything that special and short of calling the instructor how would they know it was valid by me showing them the fake cert i made on my computer that I took a photocopy of?

For the record (for anyone who's keeping score) when I applied for my permit (Washington Co) I had the photocopy of the cert and my DL and I brought the original cert with because the instructor told us that they may ask to see it - he stressed DO NOT give it to them. when the clerk asked for my stuff I handed her the photocopies along with my completed application form and had the original in my hand she never even glanced at it and never asked to see my DL. She glanced through the application (presumably to make sure it was all filled out correctly) and said "OK that'll be $75" gave me a receipt and said you should have your permit in about 2 weeks. (it was in my mailbox exactly 14 days later)

As far as the caliber issue - I agree with phorvick. While I agree that .22 is not the best choice in a defensive caliber, there is the old 'any gun is better than no gun' and most people looking at the wrong end of a gun don't think "oh it's only got a little hole in the barrel - i can handle that" P.O. Akley once said (referring to the diminutive .25 ACP) "it's main claim
to fame is intimidation - because nobody wants to get shot, even if it's only a .25" So I don't think a person should be denied a permit because they want to carry a .22.
In a previous post (this thread has been split several times now) I said that language in 624.714 is so totally ambiguous and to what an "actual shooting qualification exercise" is that it could be anything from a single round fired at a target 2 feet away to a combat master's course at the Small Arms Academy. I understand how each instructor must decide what is appropriate in that regard.

Member-North American Hunting Club
Veteran - US Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

The Training Certificate is akin to a Diploma; one does not usually show the original. (You might want to frame it at your office.)

The way an educational achievement is normally "verified", is to contact the school or the training organization. What if a permit holder needed to send the original to several states or employers?

The Sheriff has 30 days to verify, that gives him time to check the BCA website for the name of the trainer, and make any contact necessary. They have to do a background check on the person anyway.

It's really unlikely that someone would forge something like this. But since seeing the original "seems right' to so many people, maybe the instructers could do more than one "original". No reason to have only one "original'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:58 pm 
The Man

Great idea. A (preposterously small) inconvenience for me that prevents some inconvenience for my students?

Done.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.