Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:20 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Dulth - Hillside Area Continues Downward Slide 
 Post subject: Dulth - Hillside Area Continues Downward Slide
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:35 am 
Longtime Regular

A few years ago I was surprised to read stories of how violent gang members leave LA and Chicago to "hide out" in Duluth, and often choose to stay in order to start their own chapter of whatever gang they are in. I've seen plenty of it first hand two years ago when I was at St. Marys (4th and 4th) for a week and a half, including a fight in the ER by someone apparently high on meth.

"Urban gentlemen" have turned Duluth into another Minneapolis; a thing the Mayor of Duluth embraces with pride.

Anyway ... here's the latest on Duluth:

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... id/122652/

Quote:

Violent robberies put Duluth cab drivers on alert

Two drivers from the same company were assaulted and robbed this week, and cab company owners say they'll start taking a cautious approach with fares in certain neighborhoods.

By: Steve Kuchera and Mark Stodghill, Duluth News Tribune

The owner of a Duluth cab company said Thursday he’s told his drivers to be “really picky” about picking up late-night customers after two of his employees reported being beaten and robbed this week in similar incidents.

People in the cab business say such robberies in Duluth are rare, but this week’s crimes are a cause for concern.

“I’ve been here six years and [my cabs] have been robbed five times, and two of them happened in the last three days,” said Custom Cab owner Dan O’Hearon, who operates six cabs. “We’re turning into a little Chicago, and the crime wave seems to be getting just as bad.”

The most-recent robbery happened shortly before

3 a.m. Thursday.

Al Bifulk, 29, of Duluth, was the second of two Custom Cab drivers robbed and assaulted by three males in Duluth’s East Hillside this week. The first was robbed and assaulted early Monday.

“They got beat up pretty bad,” O’Hearon said.

Bifulk said he picked up a male fare in the 300 block of East Fifth Street and drove him to the 1200 block of East Fourth, where two other males were waiting. Bifulk said the male in the cab then struck him in the forehead. The two other males pulled him from the cab, continued the assault and robbed him.

Bifulk said this was his first robbery in 4½ months driving a cab. He said he wasn’t allowed to say how much money was stolen from him but called it “a very good amount of money.’’

He said he never saw a gun, but he was stunned when hit in the forehead with what he believes was a gun.

“It hurts, because we drive these people around and keep them safe,’’ Bifulk said. “I don’t know if it’s personal or what.’’ He said most of his customers in the early-morning hours are intoxicated bar patrons.

He has a 6-day-old son and said he planned to return to work Thursday night. “I’m not letting these people scare me away,’’ he said. “Like I told police, they messed up when they let me live. If police don’t do something, I will, plain and simple. If they don’t want to bring city justice into it, we’ll bring street justice into it.

“This has been an awesome job. This is not going to stop me from doing my job.’’

CAB DRIVERS ON ALERT

The robberies have other cab owners concerned.

“Crime is pretty rare in the taxi business in the Twin Ports,” said Linda Cadotte, owner of Courtesy Cab Inc., which operates five cabs. “Two attacks in one week is pretty disturbing. I certainly hope the police can catch the perpetrators.”

Custom Cab driver Anthony Baumgartner, 28, said he thought he might die early Monday as three gunmen beat and robbed him.

“I thought as soon as I gave them the money, I was done,” he said.

Baumgartner said he was robbed about 1 a.m. Monday when he was dispatched to Eighth Avenue East and Sixth Street. When he arrived, a man got into the cab’s passenger seat, yanked the keys from the cab’s ignition, pulled out an automatic pistol and began hitting Baumgartner.

“I’m like: ‘Man if you want my money, Man, just ask me, I’ll give it to you,’ ” Baumgartner said. “As soon as I said that I picked up my mic and said ‘Al, get the police up here, I’m being robbed.’ ”

The gunman ripped out the microphone. Two accomplices appeared, opening the cab’s driver’s side door.

“The next thing I know, I’ve got a shotgun and revolver pointed at my head from my driver’s side door,” Baumgartner said.

Baumgartner stalled for time as the three demanded money and the first gunman continued to hit him with the pistol.

“I already told him you can have the money,” Baumgartner told the robber with the shotgun. “All you have to do is ask. But he’s hitting me. Tell him to stop hitting me.”

[EDIT (lance22): I thought if you "give them what they want" they won't hurt you?]

When the robber holding the shotgun lowered the weapon, Baumgartner said, he quickly reached into his pocket and gave the robbers his money. After they left, Baumgartner looked at himself in the rearview mirror.

“I was bleeding and I didn’t know what kind of damage they did, and I didn’t know if I was going to pass out,” he said. He drove himself to St. Mary’s Medical Center.

Baumgartner said the first robber was about 5-foot-9 and 145 to 150 pounds; the second was 6-foot-1 to 6-foot-2 and 155 to 160 pounds; and the third 5-foot-8 or 5-foot-nine and 150 to 155 pounds. He said all three were black.

After the first robbery, O’Hearon told his dispatchers that the company would not pick up fares calling from numbers the company couldn’t call back or that weren’t answered upon callback. He’s become even more cautious after Thursday’s robbery.

“We’re going to be really, really picky about who we pick up,” he said. “We’re pretty much going to shut it down until this is taken care of. If we can’t verify who they are, we are not going to pick them up.”

O’Hearon said he plans to talk to Police Chief Gordon Ramsay about how the case has been handled. Baumgartner later spotted the three people who attacked him, but police released them after a couple of hours, O’Hearon said.

Officers did detain and identify three people after the first robbery, Duluth spokesman Brad Wick said. The three were released and the information passed on to the department’s Violent Crimes Unit, which is investigating both incidents.

“We are unsure at this time” if the two are related, Wick said.

3 on 1, the perps produced at least two firearms. Premeditated because there were two groups of assailants who brought the victim to pre-arranged location. The beating was gratuitous because the victim begged to simply give them the money, but they instead assaulted him for a few minutes and only afterwards took the money.

Interesting the way the story ends. The perps are spotted and questioned but no arrests made. From all appearances they got away with it and the police hope to catch them during their next assault.

Last edited by lance22 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:04 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
“I’m not letting these people scare me away,’’ he said. “Like I told police, they messed up when they let me live. If police don’t do something, I will, plain and simple. If they don’t want to bring city justice into it, we’ll bring street justice into it.

Not a good public comment IMO. I hope this comment does not come back to bite him. :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:45 am 

jaysong wrote:
Quote:
“I’m not letting these people scare me away,’’ he said. “Like I told police, they messed up when they let me live. If police don’t do something, I will, plain and simple. If they don’t want to bring city justice into it, we’ll bring street justice into it.

Not a good public comment IMO. I hope this comment does not come back to bite him. :(

I agree and I also wouldn't have made it known that I had a child. It serves no purpose and is information that could be used against him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:11 pm 

So he says the next criminal he meets should kill him and he openly admits he's willing to go vigilante.

Angering both the police and the criminals leaves one with no friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:33 pm 

Sometimes I'm glad I moved from Duluth...
sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:19 am 

This really bums me out. I love Duluth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:24 am 
Longtime Regular

I think that some sort of multi billion dollar light rail system from the twin cities to Duluth would help with this unfortunate problem of energetic youth looking for ways to constructively share in their community. I blame myself for these robberies as I haven't done enough to get to know my neighbors. I plan to reach out to those who are misunderstood. Just as soon as I get back from fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:01 am 

Ya know - we could spend a whole afternoon talking about what was once a great and booming city and is now turning into a semi-safe and quaint little tourist town. Unless you work at UMD, Scholastica, the paper mill or one of the hospitals there is really no job market up there anymore. Central High is going to close soon and don't get me started on the hill side - I graduated in 1989 and that was a nasty area then -the city council bankrupted itself over the whole retirement debacle and downtown is a near ghost town - so sad.

My parents live in the heights off of Central Entrance and Arlington - even that area is not the safe haven it used to be - - - and since I tend to be a supporter of the cops I will not go any further on the perceived ineffectiveness of the DPD. Drive up and down Central Entrance - Drive up and down Grand Avenue - Stop at Food n' Fuel - Repeat. Hell of a gig! (okay, I'll stop now)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:09 am 

What area are we talking about exactly? I'm not familiar enough with Duluth to know the neighborhood names.

Where is this area in relation to downtown and the convention center?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm apalled by some of the replies here. :lol:

I thought that by now we would have all subscribed to the theory that providing public assistance and public housing to bring in a few bad apples would sweeten up the entire barrel.

It appears that the long-held liberal beliefs in the politic Duluth have started to bear fruit.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:47 am 
Poet Laureate

Traveler wrote:
It appears that the long-held liberal beliefs in the politic Duluth have started to bear fruit.

For good or for ill, it's often a truism that people get the government they deserve. :|

I just hate it when I get stuck with the government other people deserve. :evil:

Post subject: Re: Dulth - Hillside Area Continues Downward Slide
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:07 pm 

I work in that ER (St. Mary's), I could go on forever about stuff that goes on here. most of it never makes the news.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:39 pm 

Dave Pendleton wrote:
What area are we talking about exactly? I'm not familiar enough with Duluth to know the neighborhood names.

Where is this area in relation to downtown and the convention center?

Pretty much directly up hill from downtown and the DECC.

I Lived half a block from Tarans market and VIP pizza by UMD (reference for locals) for 8 years. We could feel the crime moving East. That was one of the pushes to leave Duluth.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.