Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Change of Address 
 Post subject: Change of Address
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:54 pm 

I am moving in July. I read somewhere on this board that when you move you must notify the sheriff of your new address. The post said it is not required that you get a new carry permit card, but it is probably a good idea so you don't run into a LEO that is not 100% up to speed on the law.

When I read the letter that I received from the Hennepin county sheriff with my card, it says I must get a new card.

Here is the part I don't like. It says: "Return your current permit, the application and fee and a new card and a receipt for your payment will be mailed to you." I am a little nervous about going who knows how long without a permit card.

Has anyone been through this? Any idea how long it will take to return the new card?

Post subject: Re: Change of Address
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's just officious officiousness. Ignore the part about sending them your permit card. Send them a photocopy of your old one if you like, but don't send them your card. If they give you a hassle, check back here and someone will tell you how to proceed.

Ultimately, even if you did send them your card, you could still legally carry. Your permit is an intangible. The card is just evidence of your permit. Although, if questioned on it and you did not have your card, you would be subject to more officiousness and possibly handcuffs, a disarming, and some involuntary detention until Officer Friendly is able to verify your permit status.

See this thread if you want more discussion on the issue.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.