Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Fun with open carry 
 Post subject: Re: Fun with open carry
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:12 pm 

froyums isnt really in zumbrota. its just a zumbrota address, i have no idea why because they are closer to wanamingo.

the shop is run out of a pole shed on their farm. eric and lorraine froyum are the owners. as for shooting facilities he doesnt really have a fancy gun range. he has a spot out back set up with a big wooden spool for a target/backstop for rifle shooting. usually if he has a used handgun that you want to try out you just go outside somewhere and set up a cardboard box and shoot in a safe direction. thats right if he has a used gun he will let you shoot it. he always gives a fair deal on trade ins to. he will get the value books out right in front of you and show you what they say to. he deals with used and new reloading supplies also.

eric and lorraine are really nice people. be warned thow if you go out there it is highly likely to spend a couple hours just bullshittin.

id get to know eric a little bit first before you go there to shoot. hes usually around the shop after 5 pm on weekdays and usually there all on the weekends. i always call first to make sure their around thow. the place can be kinda hard to find. if you would like some directions i can post them to.

also i think im gonna have to just force myself to get out and let people in the area see me with my gun on. i think your right about most of the people in the area and their gun related experiences. if they see them out there more they might want to carry one to. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:13 am 

Quote:
Yes you are legal to do so, but it continues to amaze me why permit holders continue to force this issue and rub the sheeples nose in it

I agree that legally, walmart employee can walk up to anyone doing anything and say 'sir, I am asking you to leave' and you must leave or face at the minimum trespass violations and possibly disturbing the peace. Legally carrying a firearm and refusing to leave opens up other possible charges.

However, I object to the idea of having to keep your rights in check for fear of offending 'sheeple'

Let's apply that concept to other fields.

Do you believe that an inter-racial couple should refrain from holding hands in public, and if a walmart clerk sees them doing so and asks them to stop because it may disturb some walmart customers, that the couple should stop?

Do you believe that a catholic person wearing a crucifix in public should hide it under their shirt, and if a walmart clerk sees them wearing it and asks them to hide it because it may disturb some atheist/jewish/muslim/protestant walmart customers, that the catholic should stop? (same thing with head-scarf, skull cap, or other obvious mark of religion)

Now, it is true that religion and a few other classifications of discrimination are explicitly prohibited for businesses, but a smart manager is going to simply ask them to leave without explaining why, hence covering his behind. (he could concoct some story about a customer noting that the other customer smelled really bad, and that he himself didn't smell anything, but as he doesn't have that great of a nose, he just relied on the other customer's word)

What about wearing a political button? That isn't covered. Do you believe people should always refrain from wearing political buttons on their personal time to not risk 'disturbing' sheeple?

What about a normal diet person walking about eating a slim-jim, and an employee comes up and claims the activity is offending a Vegan?

Note: All these actions are assumed to be taken by people on thier own personal time. Obiously, a company has every right to demand an employee take every step to not inadvetantly offend a customer...but one customer offending another?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Go, akodo, go!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:58 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Go, akodo, go!

Agreed.

You have a right to be safe in your person and property.

You do NOT have a right to be unoffended.

If you are offended easily, please, stay at home. Most stores will deliver these days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:53 am 

1. Happy weekend!

2. Corporations do not have civil rights. People have civil rights.

3. If I object to biracial relationships - say I see a Minnesota woman holding hands with an Iowa guy - (ewwww . . . . ) - it's not my business to comment or complain because, other than merely existing in a relationship I wouldn't choose for myself, they're posing no threat, they're not interfering with me - it's my problem, not theirs. But, if a person has an intense fear of guns - an ignorant fear, to be sure, but a real fear, because, after all, a gun can kill you while the guy from Iowa just bugs you some - their reason for objecting to you packing next to them and their kids and grandma is a more reasonable fear. I think we do better spreading good information to counter the bad information that most non-gunners pick up from NPR, the Strib, and the entire education system (guns kill, there's no use for that gun except to kill someone for bothering you or because you feel like it) than by sticking with "I can, so I'm gonna!"

4. Wal-Marts - EP in particular - actively recruit employees from the immigrant communities. EP has a high proportion of Somolian workers. Many have not been here all that long. They've come here directly from the granddaddy of all open carry areas, where it's highly likely they've each witnessed, close hand, the very messy death of someone they knew and maybe loved as a result of large-caliber bullets blasting through. I've gotten to know quite a few of them, and the stories of life at home are just horrific. They came here, to an unfamiliar, sometimes hostile foreign country where we talk funny and insult their gawd and prophet - in short, not a place they would have chosen at all had their home not disintegrated into a 24/7 Doom episode.

(And now, my point): Guns scare the everloving crap out of many of them, to the point of falling to the ground weeping hysterically if they see the pistol on your belt. Over-reaction? Maybe not, if you watched grandma get exploded by the fifty on the back of the drunk guys' jeep.

So, context counts. The EP guy who very nicely spoke to you knows his employees. By being with you for as long as he knew you were there, he probably kept some people calm who otherwise would have been . . . not calm.

Yeah, you can open-carry in the EP Wal-Mart - you have that right. And, yeah, I can tell my neighbor she looks kinda fat in bikinis. I have that right. But I don't tell her that. You can be a jerk and still stay well within the boundaries of our guaranteed rights. While we might see such actions as a defense of a hard-won right, I'll guarantee that everyone else in the world who's not carrying will only see the "jerk" part.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:58 am 

Dang. As I re-read that, I see I need to add this:

When I typed "you can be a jerk . . .", I was NOT saying or implying that I thought you had acted like a jerk. It was the "royal" you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:41 am 
Longtime Regular

I've OC'ed at EP Walmart numerous times, and have never seen so much as a raised eyebrow from anyone who works there, Somali or not.

A couple of folks (one of whom is Somalian) who work in the sporting goods section will actually talk guns with you.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:15 pm 

Just wanted to chime in here since this thread is taking on renewed life. Since I reported that open carry was OK at the Faribault Walmart, I have carried openly almost every time I have gone there. I even take the trouble to expose my concealed weapon at the end of a work day when it has been concealed all day. Why? Because:

1. I am proud to be a citizen free from a criminal record which allows me to exercise my right to bear arms- not concealed arms but any arms I am legally permitted to possess. I think it is patriotic to open carry. So call me crazy.

2. I want to be part of the solution- What is the problem? Ignorance. When I walk by someone, I will always initiate (or am receptive to) a smile, or a kind word when possible. People will usually notice this long before they notice my gun. If I have my back turned towards a person, they probably think I'm a LEO anyway. One would have to be very paranoid to be afraid of a gun on the hip of a person moving in the opposite direction. If people find me approachable, they will probably accept my armed presence as non-threatening.

I think there is a lot of second guessing going on by those who think that people are so full of fear. They may be full of questions, and doubt, but I think they deserve a little more credit than they are being given. As for the others, they'll come around.

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:27 pm 
Poet Laureate

Harland wrote:
Just wanted to chime in here since this thread is taking on renewed life. Since I reported that open carry was OK at the Faribault Walmart, I have carried openly almost every time I have gone there. I even take the trouble to expose my concealed weapon at the end of a work day when it has been concealed all day. Why? Because:

1. I am proud to be a citizen free from a criminal record which allows me to exercise my right to bear arms- not concealed arms but any arms I am legally permitted to possess. I think it is patriotic to open carry. So call me crazy.

2. I want to be part of the solution- What is the problem? Ignorance. When I walk by someone, I will always initiate (or am receptive to) a smile, or a kind word when possible. People will usually notice this long before they notice my gun. If I have my back turned towards a person, they probably think I'm a LEO anyway. One would have to be very paranoid to be afraid of a gun on the hip of a person moving in the opposite direction. If people find me approachable, they will probably accept my armed presence as non-threatening.

I think there is a lot of second guessing going on by those who think that people are so full of fear. They may be full of questions, and doubt, but I think they deserve a little more credit than they are being given. As for the others, they'll come around.

Yup to all of that. Especially this part: "I think it is patriotic to open carry."
I guess that makes you and I two crazy people in a state full of sane ones. Next thing you know we'll be running around in public yelling,
"NOODLES, NOODLES!!" :roll:

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:53 pm 

Carbide Insert wrote:
Yup to all of that. Especially this part: "I think it is patriotic to open carry."
I guess that makes you and I two crazy people in a state full of sane ones. Next thing you know we'll be running around in public yelling,

I haven't done it yet, but as a young soldier, I did (Cover your mind's eye), streak through an IHOP. :oops: Now the secret's out, and folks know how crazy I really am. :)

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:52 pm 

well crap i fell off the wagon lol i been carryin my fairly new micro eagle in my pocket for a few weeks now. mostly because im unemployed and i been doing a lot of work around home outside. i got tired of picking grass and crap out of my revolver after mowing the lawn or workin in the garden lol. now im gonna hafta make a run to walmart with my snubby on my hip lol. just the patriot in me i geuss.

as an aside from the walmart thing i had the girlfreind call up menards in dundas and ask what their policy was on the carrying of concealed weapons and they said they dont allow it. the store isnt posted. i had a good laugh thow thinkin about how many times ive been their with my snubby on my hip only covered by an unbuttoned long shirt. and going there the next day to lol.

even if they post a store the signs mean nothing to me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:28 am 
1911 tainted

jmw55018 wrote:
:roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:54 am 
The Man

Carbide Insert wrote:

You left out a "noodles."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:02 pm 

cobb wrote:
jmw55018 wrote:

you didnt like that statement cobb?

i honestly do not even look for the signs anymore. if they notice i have a gun they can ask me to leave. if not i will go about my business. i honestly do not have the time or the want to look around at every store entrance for a stupid sign. i would rather focus my attention on the wonderful individuals around me then some stupid sing mixed in with about 10 thousand advertisements. besides if i dont see the sign then i dont have to decide if i can spend my money in their store anymore.

to each their own but signs such as those only show me how ignorant people are, and how blind they are to what rights they need to protect.

no stupid sign is going to tell me i can or cant have the meens to defend myself and family.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:21 pm 
1911 tainted

jmw55018 wrote:
cobb wrote:
jmw55018 wrote:

you didnt like that statement cobb?

i honestly do not even look for the signs anymore. if they notice i have a gun they can ask me to leave. if not i will go about my business. i honestly do not have the time or the want to look around at every store entrance for a stupid sign. i would rather focus my attention on the wonderful individuals around me then some stupid sing mixed in with about 10 thousand advertisements. besides if i dont see the sign then i dont have to decide if i can spend my money in their store anymore.

to each their own but signs such as those only show me how ignorant people are, and how blind they are to what rights they need to protect.

no stupid sign is going to tell me i can or cant have the meens to defend myself and family.

No one is denigning you anything, you don't like their policy, take your business, money and personal safety requirements elsewhere.
I just try to treat others as I would like to be treated and that means respecting both their rights and wishes. If you do not feel that way, fine.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.