Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post Office question. 
 Post subject: Post Office question.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:48 am 

The local Byerlys has a post office inside the grocery store section. As carrying is prohibited in US Government Post Offices, would it be legal to CCW while I'm grocery shopping in Byerlys? The employees working in the post office are Byerlys employees, so I wonder if it's really considered an official US Government Post Office.

Post subject: Re: Post Office question.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:50 am 
Longtime Regular

The stamp counter at Byerlys is not a "Post Office" so it is okay to carry in Byerlys.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:37 pm 
Poet Laureate

mnhogrider wrote:
As carrying is prohibited in US Government Post Offices,

Lies.
Unless you're a felon, of course, or you are about to become one by going in with the intent of shooting postal employees.

Part (D) of the Big Scary Unconstitutional Post Office Law from .fedgov means that it's legal for you to carry there too. So you can carry in the grocery store and the "mail" grocery store. And the post office.

YMMV, of course.
But that fact that you are carrying under the exception of "other lawful purposes", for personal protection, on a state granted permit, does not mean that the Constitution-Hating/Ignorant JBT's won't illegally kidnap you, and put you in a cell, for the crime of "following the law and acting like a free man". How dare you, after all! :roll:

With a good lawyer and half-decent jury you will win for sure.

I believe the question you intend to pose though, is would it be wise for you to carry your weapon while you shop, doing so in the manner with which a theif keeps his surprise advantage?

In that case, you are legally and practically ok hiding your gun as you go about your business, and just legally ok open carrying as you go about said business.

I can't think of a more perfect scenario to set case precedent for post office carry than a peaceable citizen being arrested whilst quietly hiding their gun in line to buy a book of stamps. I'll even donate to your JBT and Unscrupulous Prosecution defense fund.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have a PO Box downtown Minneapolis and I carry all the time when going to check the mail. Doesnt bother me a bit but you gotta do what you are comfortable with... I dont pay attention to the "WE BAN" signs either... so...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:35 pm 

Test cases are for people whose children are already independently wealthy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

Or those that dont care. :D
MostlyHarmless wrote:
Test cases are for people whose children are already independently wealthy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:05 pm 
The Man

In any case, whether or not one can carry in a Post Office, Byerly's stamp sales counter isn't one, and Post Office Cooties have a very small blast radius. (It's a question that used to come in class, every now and then, until I changed the presentation to emphasize that "that which is not prohibited is permitted.")

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:07 pm 
The Man

Carbide Insert wrote:
But that fact that you are carrying under the exception of "other lawful purposes", for personal protection, on a state granted permit, does not mean that the Constitution-Hating/Ignorant JBT's won't illegally kidnap you, and put you in a cell, for the crime of "following the law and acting like a free man". How dare you, after all! :roll:

Sing it, brother. You, in case I haven't mentioned it recently or often enough, rock.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:31 am 
Poet Laureate

:D

Well, thank you! That's nice to hear. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:21 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

mnhogrider wrote:
...so I wonder if it's really considered an official US Government Post Office.

Just wanted to point out that the government has very little to do with the post office.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usps

MODERATOR MESSAGE:
Don't change quotes!

- Andrew Rothman, Forum Moderator

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:38 am 

Pakrat wrote:
mnhogrider wrote:
...so I wonder if it's really considered an official US Government Post Office.

Just wanted to point out that the government has very little to do with the post office.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usps

"The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an independent agency of the United States government..."

Nope, no government here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:58 am 
Longtime Regular

I have the overwhelming impression that we, or should I say "some", are waltzing through a minefield. Knowing some fine folks first-hand that work in various post offices in the metro area, I suspect that things will go south rather quickly when one of those postal workers sees a weapon on someone and asks the question "Are you a Law Enforcement Officer?" with an ensuing reply in the negative. These are the same fine folks that refuse to accept a flat-rate Priority Mail envelope if the destination country is not written in on the line provided -- even if that county is the United States of America.

It is a royal PITA, but I lock mine up in the car each time I visit my local, or airport, post office.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:49 am 
Site Admin

That question is not one that you're required to answer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:30 pm 
Poet Laureate

SethB wrote:
That question is not one that you're required to answer.

Nor was it the subject of this thread. :wink:

Quote:
The local Byerlys has a post office... ...would it be legal to CCW while I'm grocery shopping in Byerlys?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:24 pm 

Wait...

I'm sorry. Maybe I still have a little alcohol running through my veins from July 4 or I don't understand the subtle jokes and sarcasm. 8)

Can we carry (concealed) into a real (with Eagle on front of building, American Flag waiving) US Post Office legally?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.