Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:03 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 URGENT, urgent -- CCW vote on Monday in Senate 
 Post subject: Re: URGENT, urgent -- CCW vote on Monday in Senate
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:40 pm 
Journeyman Member

bensdad wrote:
I keep saying this is the last time I'll jump in on the topic (this bill). Eventually I'll mean it. Passage of this bill will be followed by "noise" in the news about how some states have little or no training needed for a permit. This will be followed by clamouring for some "common sense" structure to the permitting process (to make things safer and consistent).

I'll meet you all back here in 5 years, when the permit to carry is issued federally. It will involve fingerprinting, a class with a standardized curriculum and course of fire, reference letters, significantly larger fee, no 30-day requirement (they'll issue your permit when they damn well please), open-carry will be banned outright, you'll only be able to carry the gun(s) listed on your permit, no church carry, no carry near booze, etc., etc., etc. This will also involve a massive new branch of the BATFE.

God, I hope I'm wrong. I've been called a nervous-pervous before. Then again, I've been right before (twice).

Simply put, this is the Fed. telling the states what they can/can't do. Color it however you like. Put a dress on it. It's still a pig. Anyone play chess? Recognize the gambit?

I partially agree with you here, but I don't think there's anything we can do about it.

The right to bear arms pre-dates the Constitution- it is a inherent, God-given right that cannot be taken away by the government, be it in a federal or state form.

If we leave CCW and the like up entirely to the states, it means that people in states such as IL, WI, NJ, etc will have their inherient rights stripped away just because of where they live. Since this is an infringement on a person's rights, the states cannot be allowed to regulate CCW issues. Therefore, it must fall under federal guidelines in some fashion. Free speech or religious issues are not handled by the state for the same reason. If the Constitution is supposed to protect our 2A rights, wouldn't allowing the states to decide the issue be in conflict with the Constitution?

When the 2A gets incorporated and falls under federal protection, there will end up being a minimum standard of gun freedoms. The more oppressive states will make their laws as strict as possible, whereas the more free states will open things up or keep the laws as they are. Can states be penalized for offering more freedom than what falls under federal protection? I don't think so.

Let's say that hypothetically CCW is ruled not to be protected by the 2A, but handgun bans must fall. That means that IL, NJ, etc will have to allow handguns but will deny CCW, whereas the rest of the country will keep their existing CCW rules.

And as an aside, thank you for your compliments. Frankly, given the responses I've gotten on what I wrote earlier on other gun boards, I was expecting to be rebuked for what I wrote. I guess I should have given you guys more credit as you definitely don't fit that mold.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:49 pm 

bensdad wrote:
I believe that by supporting this, we shoot ourselves in the foot (figuratively). Hey, stick this thread in your memory bank. Point it out in 5 years and say, "Look what an idiot Bensdad was! He thought the sky was falling!" I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. If, on the other hand, I'm right...

I'm right. This is a Trojan horse. Supporting it is foolishness. Moths to the flame.

I do agree with you on some level. I think it could move it into a federally issued license, which can be nothing but bad. I never said anything about my position on it..

I'm just bringing up other examples that could be used to say "we don't need to federalize it.. we survive with these other licenses that are different.." if someone does say "we need federal standards"

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:52 pm 

singhcr wrote:
If we leave CCW and the like up entirely to the states, it means that people in states such as IL, WI, NJ, etc will have their inherient rights stripped away just because of where they live. Since this is an infringement on a person's rights, the states cannot be allowed to regulate CCW issues. Therefore, it must fall under federal guidelines in some fashion. Free speech or religious issues are not handled by the state for the same reason. If the Constitution is supposed to protect our 2A rights, wouldn't allowing the states to decide the issue be in conflict with the Constitution?

but with the way the bill is worded, it would still leave it up to the states.. if they don't issue CCW permits, an out of state one wouldn't be valid..
Quote:
Let's say that hypothetically CCW is ruled not to be protected by the 2A, but handgun bans must fall. That means that IL, NJ, etc will have to allow handguns but will deny CCW, whereas the rest of the country will keep their existing CCW rules.

I think quite afew states would be pressured by the sky is falling groups to remove their existing CCW rules if a ruling like that was ever made on the 2A.. "You can repeal this and not worry about the pesky NRA suing you for infringing on a 2A guaranteed right."

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Here's what the gun-grabbers lose:
1) People with permits will be able to travel (carefully, being subject to the rules of each individual state) with their guns.

Here's what the gun-grabbers gain:
1) Ill. will NEVER pass shall-issue once this is signed (Maybe they never would have. We can argue that later).
2) Cal. will NEVER pass shall-issue (same as above)
3) Wis. and NJ will NEVER have ANY issue (shall or may).
4) The gun permit crowd immediately loses support from anyone in any of the aforementioned states with a resentment.
5) The grabbers now have a ready-made plausible excuse to feed the sheep about how important a nationalized PTC process is.
6) Grow BATFE, grow gov., regulate guns (WHEN not IF) they scoop up the permit process.

They did a nice job of divide and conquer with the police nation-wide carry thing. We lost a big chunk of support for our cause there. This one peels away more support. This bill leaves intact any states right to NOT issue permits. All it does is tell states with permits to accept permits from other states. They'll call this a big gesture of how "not anti-gun" they are. This reminds me of Native Americans trading land for trinkets. So many smart people within the carry community don't even realize what they're giving away with this "great bill that lets us carry in other states".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:43 am 

According to the Senate.gov website, it is still in committee, and they are meeting on Thursday.

Quote:
OFFICIAL HEARING NOTICE / WITNESS LIST:

July 15, 2009

NOTICE OF RESCHEDULED SUBCOMMITTEE HEARING

The hearing before the Senate Committee on the Judiciary, Subcommittee on Crime and Drugs entitled "Examining S. 845, The 'Respecting States Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2009" previously scheduled for Tuesday, June 23, 2009 has been rescheduled for Thursday, July 23, 2009 at 2:30 p.m. in Room 226 of the Senate Dirksen Office Building.

Senate Judiciary Committee
Subcommittee on Crime and Drugs
View a webcast of this hearing
DATE: July 23, 2009
TIME: 02:30 PM
ROOM: Dirksen-226

You can listen online here.

MNbasecamp.com - Minnesota Outdoors Community

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:58 am 

Here are the Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Crime and Drugs Members

Sen. Richard Durbin [D-IL]
Sen. Lindsey Graham [R-SC]
Sen. Benjamin Cardin [D-MD]
Sen. Thomas Coburn [R-OK]
Sen. Russell Feingold [D-WI]
Sen. Dianne Feinstein [D-CA] (Author of the 1994 AWB)
Sen. Charles Grassley [R-IA]
Sen. Orrin Hatch [R-UT]
Sen. Edward Kaufman [D-DE]
Sen. Amy Klobuchar [D-MN]
Sen. Herbert Kohl [D-WI]
Sen. Charles Schumer [D-NY]
Sen. Jefferson Sessions [R-AL]
Sen. Arlen Specter [D-PA]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:16 am 

I wrote Senator Klobuchar this morning about this hearing.

Are there any others on the committee that are on the fence that we should be contacting? I figure Feinstein and Schumer are a loss.
b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:19 am 
Longtime Regular

bstrawse wrote:

Are there any others on the committee that are on the fence that we should be contacting? I figure Feinstein and Schumer are a loss.
b

Yeah, Russ Feingold. He's a bit all over the map on 2A, and didn't always make me happy, but has sided with the NRA more than once in recent years. Speaking from personal experience, he will listen to and consider a well put-together argument.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:22 am 

Iv'e been reviewing NRA grades, and legislative history, and here is what I came up with...

Please feel free to correct me.

On Board:
Sen. Lindsey Graham [R-SC]
Sen. Thomas Coburn [R-OK]
Sen. Charles Grassley [R-IA]
Sen. Orrin Hatch [R-UT]
Sen. Jefferson Sessions [R-AL]
Sen. Arlen Specter [D-PA]

Back and Forth:
Sen. Amy Klobuchar [D-MN]
Sen. Russell Feingold [D-WI]

No way:
Sen. Richard Durbin [D-IL]
Sen. Benjamin Cardin [D-MD]
Sen. Charles Schumer [D-NY]
Sen. Dianne Feinstein [D-CA]
Sen. Herbert Kohl [D-WI]

Unknown:
Sen. Edward Kaufman [D-DE]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:56 am 

mrokern wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

b

Yeah, Russ Feingold. He's a bit all over the map on 2A, and didn't always make me happy, but has sided with the NRA more than once in recent years. Speaking from personal experience, he will listen to and consider a well put-together argument.

-Mark

Thanks -- sent a note via his website and will call his office on my drive home this evening.

B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:33 pm 

bensdad wrote:
I keep saying this is the last time I'll jump in on the topic (this bill). Eventually I'll mean it. Passage of this bill will be followed by "noise" in the news about how some states have little or no training needed for a permit. This will be followed by clamouring for some "common sense" structure to the permitting process (to make things safer and consistent).

I'll meet you all back here in 5 years, when the permit to carry is issued federally. It will involve fingerprinting, a class with a standardized curriculum and course of fire, reference letters, significantly larger fee, no 30-day requirement (they'll issue your permit when they damn well please), open-carry will be banned outright, you'll only be able to carry the gun(s) listed on your permit, no church carry, no carry near booze, etc., etc., etc. This will also involve a massive new branch of the BATFE.

God, I hope I'm wrong. I've been called a nervous-pervous before. Then again, I've been right before (twice).

Simply put, this is the Fed. telling the states what they can/can't do. Color it however you like. Put a dress on it. It's still a pig. Anyone play chess? Recognize the gambit?

You forgot about the DNA sample. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

b

-Mark

Russ Feingold opposed the Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act allowing concealed carry by LEO's. I believe he argued it was a states' rights issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

singhcr wrote:
And as an aside, thank you for your compliments. Frankly, given the responses I've gotten on what I wrote earlier on other gun boards, I was expecting to be rebuked for what I wrote. I guess I should have given you guys more credit as you definitely don't fit that mold.

singhcr,
Both your posts, in my opinion, were coherent and well reasoned. My feelings almost to a T.
However, I also have bensdad sitting on one shoulder, whispering in my ear and I can't ignore him. Past experience has shown that there is a more than even chance that he is correct.

gaygoalie wrote:
I also know this probably made afew people jump back a bit, so I hope this doesn't get too uncivilized too quickly.

What consenting adults do in the privacy of their home/s should be no one else's business.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:
mrokern wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

b

-Mark

Russ Feingold opposed the Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act allowing concealed carry by LEO's. I believe he argued it was a states' rights issue.

Like I said, he's a weird one. Definite maverick. Not always going to turn out how we want, but at least he's not a party hack.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yawn.

It's a simple issue of full faith and credit. We don't have nationalized drivers' licenses, do we?
:roll:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.