Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 URGENT, urgent -- CCW vote on Monday in Senate 
 Post subject: Re: URGENT, urgent -- CCW vote on Monday in Senate
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:05 pm 

58 votes in favor is close? Give me a break. If Harry Reid even thought it would pass, he would have never let it get to a vote. I'm sure even Thune know exactly how many votes he would get.

Post subject: Re: URGENT, urgent -- CCW vote on Monday in Senate
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:49 am 

singhcr wrote:
This doesn't have anything to do with state's rights. States don't have the right to infringe your rights, and with the "full faith and credit" clause of the Constitution applied correctly, states will have to accept CCW permits and marriage permits. We would not be discussing state's rights if it came to regulation of speech, so why arms or sexual preferences?

These kinds of issues confuse me, because to support one and deny the other (regardless of which side you are on) seems a bit hypocritical in my opinion. In either case: people have a right to do as they wish, be it carrying a gun or marrying a person of the same sex. You don't have to like or support it, but the government doesn't have the right to say what you do with your life.

I'm not gay- I personally find the practice of homosexuality to be against God's design, but since this is a free society, I am not going to force my views on others through legislation. I could say the same thing about gay rights activists who support gun control. There are limits to this, of course, but as long as you aren't directly harming someone else, I say people should be able to do whatever they want. This is liberalism in its real sense, not the statist attitude that I've witnessed from people who cry foul when the liberties they support are being squashed, but will rally to squash someone else's freedom because they don't agree with it the next day.

I don't understand the equation of the fundamental right to protect one's self and property and same-sex marriage. I'm as libertarian as you can get on social views, but marriage is not a fundamental right. In fact, it's not a right at all. The freedom to love whoever you want is no one's business and is not an issue except in the militant, extreme right. However, the right to love someone and the privilege of marriage have absolutely nothing to do with each other in the rule of law.

I'm not trying to turn this into a same-sex marriage debate, but I don't see any correlation between 2A and marriage.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.