Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Yesterday was interesting......OC around New Ulm & Mankato 
 Post subject: Yesterday was interesting......OC around New Ulm & Mankato
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

I meant to post this last night, but it got late too quickly and 4 am comes too damned early for this old fart. :roll:

The daughter and I dropped my car off at the shop for repairs (service writer noticed my 1911A1, but said nothing), and she asked me if I'd run her up to Wal*Mart (in NU), so she could get a prescription filled (she followed me to the shop in my pickup).

Since it was warm out, I OC'd (too warm to wear a CG).

I needed some oil, so I walked in the store with her. She went to the pharmacy and I headed back to the automotive section.

One of the auto shop employees saw my 1911A1 and asked what I was carrying and we talked for a few minutes until he got paged and had to go.

On my way to the checkout, some guy with 2 young boys suddenly asks me, "Hey, how do you like that Serpa holster?" :shock: We talked for a few minutes and he mentioned that he had just bought a Serpa for off duty carry, but had left it at home because he wasn't familiar with it. Turns out, he works for the Border Patrol up in the Baudette/International Falls area and was down here on vacation. He also mentioned that the BP is getting new holsters next year (can't remember what make/model). As we were going our separate ways, he says, "It's good to see someone carrying. I just wish more people would." 8)

Ran several other errands in New Ulm and Mankato and had no negative comments or reactions from others, until I got gas on my way outta Mankato. I stopped at the LQM (Hwy 60/169), to put $20 in the tank. As I was paying for my gas, the older woman behind the counter says, "Are you licensed to carry that?"

"Yes Ma'am, I am."

She says, "Well, I don't like guns" (but yet she works at a gas station in kind of a shitty part of town??? :? ). :roll:

Once my errands were done, I stopped by the Cashwise liquor store in NU for a bottle of my favorite libation. I heard the 4 girls behind the counter start talking as I walked by, but since one of them had just walked in, I figured that they were just greeting each other at a shift change or something. As I turned around to head for the counter with my bottle, one of them says, "Oh, he carries that all the time", and I notice one of the gals is looking kinda flushed. The girl that blushed has rang up my purchases before, so she's familiar with me, says, "You carry that all the time?" I said, "Yes Ma'am. Sometimes it's hidden, sometimes not and you've rang me up when I've carried both ways".

She's like, :shock: "No way!"

Me, "Yep, but one thing to remember, good guys carry their firearms in a holster, bad guys don't." :wink:

She replied, "Good point!" :lol:

All-in-all, it was a good day and had some good conversations with others about carrying, holsters and such. 8)

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject: Re: Yesterday was interesting......OC around New Ulm & Mankato
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

But... but... but... open carry will just scare people, and then they'll take away our right to open carry, so we shouldn't open carry, or else we won't be able to open carry! :roll:

Sounds like you had a good day of providing gentle education. Good for you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pretty much sums up a non-eventful day of OCing. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

I rarely open carry just because I hate talking to strangers when I'm out and about. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:34 pm 

macphisto wrote:
I rarely open carry just because I hate talking to strangers when I'm out and about. :wink:

+1 I agree 99.9% of the time I just want to be on my way without any chitchat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:42 am 
Longtime Regular

Looks like you had a couple good teaching moments that you handled well so good job. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:48 am 
The Man

macphisto wrote:

I do, sometimes -- like to talk to strangers, that is. But I figure that the Hawaiian shirts are enough conversation starters. My older daughter disagrees, and really hated the time that the jaw-droppingly gorgeous twenty-something black woman came up and started petting the shirt when we were shopping at Target. I will confess that I didn't mind that, well, at all. I'm actually kind of fond of jaw-droppingly gorgeous young women, all in all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:22 am 

Great. Now I've got to go out and expand my collection of Hawaiian shirts. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:06 am 

Great story about a wonderfully uneventful day OC'ing. I wish these stories were a daily happening.

Note to self: Buy Hawaiian shirt

Joel, any particular color that causes this interesting 'effect' to happen?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:47 am 

340PD wrote:
Joel, any particular color that causes this interesting 'effect' to happen?

Loud.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:51 am 
The Man

Not really. It was the same shirt I was wearing at the MGSF hearing the other day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:17 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm glad that went well. Encouraging story.
As for LQM, I believe they have been robbed several times over the years. You'd think that they would welcome a permit holder. Some of those older ladies who work there are just naturally crabby though. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

You're missing a great opportunity to help the cause, then.

realtor_packing_heat wrote:
macphisto wrote:

+1 I agree 99.9% of the time I just want to be on my way without any chitchat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

At least you didn't let her pet your gun.

joelr wrote:
macphisto wrote:

I do, sometimes -- like to talk to strangers, that is. But I figure that the Hawaiian shirts are enough conversation starters. My older daughter disagrees, and really hated the time that the jaw-droppingly gorgeous twenty-something black woman came up and started petting the shirt when we were shopping at Target. I will confess that I didn't mind that, well, at all. I'm actually kind of fond of jaw-droppingly gorgeous young women, all in all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:54 pm 

JimC wrote:
At least you didn't let her pet your gun.

Or your daughter.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.