Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:39 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Continuing Education 
 Post subject: Re: Continuing Education
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks for adding that.

jdege wrote:
You're missing one important factor:

Beginning-of-time-1985: Local communities can, and some did, impose their own restrictions and/or licensing systems on the carrying of handguns or long guns
1985-present: The state legislature preempts all local regulation concerning firearms with a few narrow exceptions.

There were restrictions on carrying handguns and long guns, in Minneapolis, St. Paul, and other cities, prior to 1974.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

I bet if you asked 10 different carry students, you'd get 14 different answers. Look at all the postings, Long guns & carry permit questions pop up all the time

phorvick wrote:
JimC wrote:
Long gun carry by a permit holder has to be the most confusing topic of the carry permit. Everyone has a different opinion on it.

My instructor says it's perfectly legal to carry any rifle openly as long as you have a carry permit. Not advised, but you can do it.

Others say no you can't carry

Others say you can.

Just pointing out it's a confusing topic

I generally like to stay out of topics like this, but ....

It is not at all confusing. Perfectly legal to carry a loaded long gun in public. It is not ambiguous, ambivalent, confusing or unclear.

Wise? Different issue.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:31 pm 
The Man

JimC wrote:
I bet if you asked 10 different carry students, you'd get 14 different answers. Look at all the postings, Long guns & carry permit questions pop up all the time
It does here, sure, but we're -- among other things -- hobbyists. J. Random Permitholder is vanishingly unlikely to spend any time at all discussing whether or not he can throw his deer rifle over his shoulder and carry it instead of or in addition to his handgun. We're not the sort of folks who are likely to do that, but we will tend to discuss it.

While 624.7181 is in the book, if the only thing an instructor were to skimp on in class would be that, I wouldn't be critical. It's just not -- here and now -- an important real-world issue for permit holders.

That said, I am very critical of folks who teach about it making up stuff about legal changes in the wake of Katrina. You've got to be pretty rusty to think that's a good idea.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:51 pm 

joelr wrote:
Pretty much, sure. My one quibble -- and it's a serious one -- is that your answer was apparently (whether actually or not, I dunno) informed by the belief that the issue is what's "allowable," rather than by what's "not forbidden, and therefore up to you."

Just to clarify then: My definition of 'allowable' == 'not illegal'. I'm not deep into the exact grammatical meaning or subliminal hidden political agenda (I'm neither an English teacher nor a lawyer) so I didn't say it that way. That's why I mentioned that others could explain further, which various of you have. And thanks for that.

BB

Last edited by BigBlue on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:03 pm 

joelr wrote:
That said, I am very critical of folks who teach about it making up stuff about legal changes in the wake of Katrina. You've got to be pretty rusty to think that's a good idea.

To be fair, he didn't say the change was in the wake of Katrina, but rather the understanding of why it would matter. Most people wouldn't normally care, but using Katrina as an example of why someone would want to carry a long gun made sense. He could have just as easily pointed to the riots after the Rodney King verdict came out (and being a former LA cop, it wouldn't have surprised me), or any other example of civil unrest.

On the other hand, the rules kind of go out the window in the midst of civil unrest, that's what civil unrest is.

BTW, nice little pun there :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:41 pm 
The Man

Onesimus wrote:
joelr wrote:

To be fair, he didn't say the change was in the wake of Katrina, but rather the understanding of why it would matter.
Okay, then he's just stupid, not lying about that stuff. In a situation where police are going door to door to snatch guns, citizens patrolling the streets with rifles isn't going to end well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:27 pm 

I agree.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.