Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:28 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Continuing Education 
 Post subject: Re: Continuing Education
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:54 pm 
The Man

BigBlue wrote:
joelr wrote:
I'll give a different answer: according to 624.7181, it's not legally possible for a permit holder to carry a long gun in public, and therefore it can't be a crime.

Huh?

Let's take a look at the law that forbids carrying a long gun in public:
Quote:

Subd. 2.Penalties. Whoever carries a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun on or about the person in a public place is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. A person under the age of 21 who carries a semiautomatic military-style assault weapon, as defined in section 624.712, subdivision 7, on or about the person in a public place is guilty of a felony.
Okay. Now let's look at the definition, in relevant part:

Quote:
For purposes of this section, the following terms have the meanings given them.... "Carry" does not include...(3) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun by a person who has a permit under section 624.714;
So, again: for purposes of the law that forbids carrying a long gun in public, when a person with a carry permit is toting one about, he or she cannot be said, in a legal sense, to "carry" it.

Pinky swear.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Your instructor was wrong. Who was he or she?

Here's the timeline:

The beginning of time - 1974: No restrictions on the carry of pistols
1974-2003: May-issue pistol carry permits
2003-present: Shall-issue carry permits

The beginning of time - 1993: No restrictions on long gun carry
1993-present: Long gun carry prohibited, unless you have a pistol carry permit*

-----------------
* Technically, Joel is right, as he explained above.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Long gun carry by a permit holder has to be the most confusing topic of the carry permit. Everyone has a different opinion on it.

My instructor says it's perfectly legal to carry any rifle openly as long as you have a carry permit. Not advised, but you can do it.

Others say no you can't carry

Others say you can.

Just pointing out it's a confusing topic

Last edited by JimC on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:28 pm 
The Man

Onesimus wrote:
The instructor said it was something thought to be unnecessary at the time the bill was passed, but after Katrina hit, it became something that had renewed importance. As he put it, if disaster strikes, people would have the right to patrol their neighborhoods to deter crime.
Andrew's right; your instructor is, I would hope, simply ill-informed. Who was he?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

JimC wrote:
Long gun carry by a permit holder has to be the most confusing topic of the carry permit. Everyone has a different opinion on it.

My instructor says it's perfectly legal to carry any rifle openly as long as you have a carry permit. Not advised, but you can do it.

Others say no you can't carry

Others say you can.

Just pointing out it's a confusing topic

I generally like to stay out of topics like this, but ....

It is not at all confusing. Perfectly legal to carry a loaded long gun in public. It is not ambiguous, ambivalent, confusing or unclear.

Wise? Different issue.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:22 pm 
The Man

Yup.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:45 am 

phorvick wrote:

It is not at all confusing. Perfectly legal to carry a loaded long gun in public. It is not ambiguous, ambivalent, confusing or unclear.

Wise? Different issue.

So my original answer was pretty much on the mark then.

BigBlue wrote:
I'm sure other folks with better knowledge can answer about long gun carry with your MN permit. I think the answer is "it is allowable", typically followed by "would you like to be the test case?".

BB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:11 am 
The Man

BigBlue wrote:
phorvick wrote:

Wise? Different issue.

So my original answer was pretty much on the mark then.

BigBlue wrote:
I'm sure other folks with better knowledge can answer about long gun carry with your MN permit. I think the answer is "it is allowable", typically followed by "would you like to be the test case?".

BB
Pretty much, sure. My one quibble -- and it's a serious one -- is that your answer was apparently (whether actually or not, I dunno) informed by the belief that the issue is what's "allowable," rather than by what's "not forbidden, and therefore up to you."

I can't see a good reason why somebody would choose to routinely carry, say, a 30-30 slung over his or her shoulder for personal safety, here and now. Yeah, it would be a better choice in a lot of self-defense situations (not all) than my preferred pocket snubby, but it would be deucedly inconvenient, and not just because it's easy to predict that there'd be a lot of badged folks who are ignorant of 624.7181, the law that says that when a permit holder is doing that, he's not "carrying" a long gun at all, legally speaking.

But there's no law forbidding somebody from putting on a clown suit and flippers, and flopping over to Town Hall to sing, "Three Sails in the Sunset," either, and that's "allowable," too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:10 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Here's the timeline:

-----------------

I'm confused, because my instructor said it was legal, then you said Joel was right and Joel pretty much said the same thing.
joelr wrote:
Onesimus wrote:
The instructor said it was something thought to be unnecessary at the time the bill was passed, but after Katrina hit, it became something that had renewed importance. As he put it, if disaster strikes, people would have the right to patrol their neighborhoods to deter crime.
Andrew's right; your instructor is, I would hope, simply ill-informed. Who was he?

I should have said "people with carry permits would have the right..."

I took the course from Rusty Ramirez, who teaches at the Rogers Cabella's.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:23 am 
The Man

Onesimus wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

Here's the timeline:

-----------------

I'm confused, because my instructor said it was legal, then you said Joel was right and Joel pretty much said the same thing.
joelr wrote:
Onesimus wrote:

I should have said "people with carry permits would have the right..."

I took the course from Rusty Ramirez, who teaches at the Rogers Cabella's.
Ah. That explains it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:05 am 
Longtime Regular

Onesimus wrote:
The instructor said it was something thought to be unnecessary at the time the bill was passed, but after Katrina hit, it became something that had renewed importance.

Ah. This sentence is the confusing one. What is "it" and who thought it unimportant?

Long gun carry has never been prohibited to pistol carry permit holders, ever. Katrina had no effect on this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:12 am 
The Man

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Onesimus wrote:
The instructor said it was something thought to be unnecessary at the time the bill was passed, but after Katrina hit, it became something that had renewed importance.

Ah. This sentence is the confusing one. What is "it" and who thought it unimportant?

Long gun carry has never been prohibited to pistol carry permit holders, ever. Katrina had no effect on this.
Doesn't much matter. The Katrina Change story is just Rusty blowing smoke. I don't know whether he made it up, or heard it somewhere, and it really doesn't matter which.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:32 am 
Longtime Regular

I teach it pretty much from the time line Andrew mentioned.
The difference between carry vs transport, what constitutes legal transport, what is a motor vehicle.
Not prohibited / legal.That which is not prohibited is allowed and this is SPECIFICALLY not prohibited in the sense that they spell out what is prohibited and then specifically say this isn't it.That's about the point where people chuckle at the it's not carry if you have a carry permit bit. Apparently the long gun just levitates.
Then we talk about legal vs wise and the attention it could draw.

Phorvick wrote:
Perfectly legal to carry a loaded long gun in public. It is not ambiguous, ambivalent, confusing or unclear.
Wise? Different issue.

I'd say Katrina gave this relevance and a point of reference, not renewed importance. WHY would you ever want to carry a long gun? It's not a perfect example because we've seen how the NOPD and other agencies responded. I point out that there are stories of neighbors banding together and truly patrolling their neighborhoods during the absence of any social order. I use it as a small example of the limits we THINK are placed on law enforcement / the government / ourselves / our fellow man vs what may happen in times of stress. Then we talk about the Officers that stood on the elderly lady's back and took her revolver "for her safety" :-(

It's a bit of how did we get here, a bit of how does this work, a cautionary word on transport, and an opportunity to discuss paying attention to civil liberties and inalienable rights. Education as activism and teaching with analogies. Helping the student tie an occasionally misunderstood (by the general public and some students) issue to real world events.

Last edited by plblark on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:42 am 
The Man

That's fine. Long gun carry is one of those very, very minor issues that can be used to spotlight far more important ones.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:03 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Here's the timeline:

You're missing one important factor:

Beginning-of-time-1985: Local communities can, and some did, impose their own restrictions and/or licensing systems on the carrying of handguns or long guns
1985-present: The state legislature preempts all local regulation concerning firearms with a few narrow exceptions.

There were restrictions on carrying handguns and long guns, in Minneapolis, St. Paul, and other cities, prior to 1974.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.