Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 My friend was brutally beaten on campus recently. 
 Post subject: Re: My friend was brutally beaten on campus recently.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:31 am 
Longtime Regular

How long till we see this, again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulator_movement

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:43 pm 

Unfortunatly the bad guys are the "victim" when something happens to them.
I hope your friend heals up fast.
I'm almost to the point where I don't like to out anymore than I have too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:52 pm 

Dick Unger wrote:
IT'S NOT 'blaming the victim" to tell somebody they may meet trouble in a bad neighborhood. It's common sense to avoid trouble. It's also common sense to carry protection. You do both. It's too bad I can't walk everwhere safely, it's too bad we even need protection.

But the world is still dangerous, and a lot more dangerous if ou don't use common sense.

And nobody should have to appologize for advising someone to use common sense. Especially someone with relevant experience.

In my humble opinion:

Like Andrew said, This wasn't a bad part of town. While I do agree that discretion on your whereabouts would be prudent (or would fall under common sense), especially when in a high violent-crime neighborhood (where gangs and drug dealing is ever prevalent), I personally don't believe that a young man is taking a very high risk walking near thiscollege campus after dark (especially when he's sober, and the area is bustling during the nights). There is always some increased risk for being the victim of a crime by walking alone at night, but I don't believe that in this situation there was any reasonable suspicion to expect a violent, non-provoked assault to occur, or that this was in any way a high-risk situation. (Now, the risk goes up if one is drunk or female.)

It's one thing to use common sense, but you can't live your life in constant fear, and assuming that one was going to "meet trouble" in this situation seems unlikely, and against the grain of the generally accepted and socially defined "common sense" you will find within those that live in areas like that around the U campus.

**My quotes were to emphasize the terminology, not as a sarcastic slight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:34 pm 

I agree. Attacks in supposedly good parts of town are becoming more frequent. About 4 years ago I was walking my dog in S.e. Mpls; (Longfellow neighborhood) when I was approched by a young man with a open box cutter in his right hand. I don't think he saw my dog until he was right up to us. My dog "Boss" is a 120 lb. lab and rotweiller mix. The man saw me take the dog off the leash and took off running. I don't like to think of what might have happened if wasn't for the presence of the dog. Boss has gone on to puppy heaven. For now I have replaced him with a XD .45.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:52 pm 

mitchx3 wrote:
Thankfully I live on the opposite side of campus (94/Erie) though this sounds like a mobile mob so maybe it doesn't matter. For practical safe travel in this area I'm a big fan of the blacked out fast bike. Turn off the lights, ride fast and in whatever part of the street is most convenient and only stop if you feel like it. A properly set up bike is silent, I can approach people from behind and they jump only when I'm 2 feet past them...

Blacked out bike...Do your ninja bike riding abilities also prevent cars from plastering you in "invisible mode"? Have you had a pedestrian elbow you in the face yet when you startle them?

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:21 pm 

Savagesweat wrote:
Yeah, I agree. However, the poor guy is afraid that somehow the school is going to stab him in the back for making a scene. I share his distrust of the school, but I do know that with such a large student body, it's hard to persecute an individual undergraduate.....

Let me get this strait, your friend has his jaw and molar broken in an assault and can't even file a report? Did he even bother to call 911 after the incident? If he can't even take these most rudimentary steps what possible benefit do you think could come from posting his story here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgnmXBIJquc

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:36 am 

gyrfalcon wrote:
Savagesweat wrote:
Yeah, I agree. However, the poor guy is afraid that somehow the school is going to stab him in the back for making a scene. I share his distrust of the school, but I do know that with such a large student body, it's hard to persecute an individual undergraduate.....

Let me get this strait, your friend has his jaw and molar broken in an assault and can't even file a report? Did he even bother to call 911 after the incident? If he can't even take these most rudimentary steps what possible benefit do you think could come from posting his story here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgnmXBIJquc

I am having trouble making sense of your question. He did call 911. He did talk to the cops immediately following the assault. The cop told him not to file a report. He was beat up physically and emotionally. In this state, he made the mistake of trusting the officer's advice. I hope you're not demeaning the actions he took.

And what does any of that have to do with posting the story here? For one thing, people need to hear about the crime in Minneapolis because the cops are suppressing this information, which worsens the problem. Further, the example is useful for others on this forum to consider when forming plans for how to react in similar situations.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:45 am 

Savagesweat wrote:
I am having trouble making sense of your question. He did call 911. He did talk to the cops immediately following the assault. The cop told him not to file a report. He was beat up physically and emotionally. In this state, he made the mistake of trusting the officer's advice. I hope you're not demeaning the actions he took.

And what does any of that have to do with posting the story here? For one thing, people need to hear about the crime in Minneapolis because the cops are suppressing this information, which worsens the problem. Further, the example is useful for others on this forum to consider when forming plans for how to react in similar situations.

When did he call 911? When he was on the street, or a day after he got home? He can still file a report of the assault with the police regardless... The police don't have to suppress information if you're not even going to make a point of reporting it.

I don't believe many of the folks in this forum need to form plans on how to react to a situation like this. As permit holders they generally try and stay aware of their surroundings and people in proximity to them. If they were violently assaulted without provocation they would use as much force as necessary to defend themselves. Your friend didn't have anything other than his hands to defend himself so it's basically a mute point to discuss in the context of carrying a firearm. The story is also being told from the third person and from the information you've gleaned, which tends to make details of the event less specific.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:48 am 

If he called 911 immediately following the event, what day/month did this happen on and who was the officer he spoke to?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:18 am 
Longtime Regular

gyrfalcon wrote:
it's basically a mute point to discuss

Ssshhh!

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:13 pm 

Same guys?
http://www.mndaily.com/2009/09/29/gophe ... town-brawl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

jdege wrote:
How long till we see this, again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulator_movement

What makes you think it isn't already happening?

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm 

mitchx3 wrote:

No, I think it was a different group. However, I did see these hoards of rowdy people described in the story running through Dinkytown. The police seemed pretty useless when they tried to disperse the crowds. People would leave for a few minutes and then return after the police were gone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:20 pm 

gyrfalcon wrote:
When did he call 911? When he was on the street, or a day after he got home? He can still file a report of the assault with the police regardless... The police don't have to suppress information if you're not even going to make a point of reporting it.

I don't believe many of the folks in this forum need to form plans on how to react to a situation like this. As permit holders they generally try and stay aware of their surroundings and people in proximity to them. If they were violently assaulted without provocation they would use as much force as necessary to defend themselves. Your friend didn't have anything other than his hands to defend himself so it's basically a mute point to discuss in the context of carrying a firearm. The story is also being told from the third person and from the information you've gleaned, which tends to make details of the event less specific.

With all due respect, you are wrong. The fact that you carry a gun makes no difference when it comes to the possibility of being assaulted, unless you open carry with a big old stainless steel piece that people will see easily. Are permit holders somehow immune to being attacked by groups of 20+ people in good lighting with multiple witnesses around? No, they are not. This IS a useful scenario to consider because it highlights the conditions in which people are being attacked as well as the type of attack that is occurring presently. Knowing about the attackers and the manner in which they assault people can alert individuals to the danger of certain situations that may not have seemed as dangerous at first glance. This goes for both permit carriers and non permit carriers.

My friend brought me to the exact spot where he was assaulted and he showed me how the entire event unfolded. The situation truly is disturbing because he was very aware of his surroundings, but he still became a victim. He saw the perps approaching him and tried to get out of the way, but just as he took his gaze off of some of them to check for others on a different side, the first guys struck. He was aware of his surroundings the entire time. Having a gun would not magically make these bad guys disappear or somehow give my friend the ability to dodge a blow that was impossible to predict (especially since the bad guys did not behave in a blatantly threatening manner initially). A gun in your pants does not change any of that.

Further, the story illustrates yet again that the police are worse than useless in these instances, which in turn demonstrates the practicality of carrying a defensive firearm.

A report was eventually filed despite the repeated efforts the police made to discourage this, both immediately following the crime and several days later.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am 
Longtime Regular

Looks like Dinkytown is getting to be a place to avoid: http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news ... pt_30_2009

Maybe your pal should talk to the reporter. Or, if he'd like, I could call up Leah Beno to discuss this with her and take her out for coffee or maybe lunch, and a play, or a concert and.... ahem. Back to work. Back to work....

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.