Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:06 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 There are good Democrats on gun issues. Lori Swanson, say 
 Post subject: There are good Democrats on gun issues. Lori Swanson, say
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:43 pm 
The Man

One of the frustrations that a lot of us have -- and by "us" I don't mean just radical moderates like me, but folks all across the political spectra -- is that most of the heavy lifting on our issues is too often done only by Republicans. If you look at who the major movers and shakers in the lege behind carry reform, for example, it's pretty much solely Republicans -- Lynda Boudreau and Pat Pariseau at the very top, as well as Larry Howes, Steve Smith, Marty Seifert, and Tom Emmer on the next rung, with folks like Tony Cornish usually in there pitching, as well.

But self-defense issues -- what we usually call by the shorthand of "gun rights" -- aren't just for Republicans. We wouldn't have had the carry reform law pass, either time, without the votes and support of Democrats, and pro-self-defense DFLers need to be encouraged to continue; those on the fence need to be encouraged to get off the fence and on the side of, well, Truth, Justice, and the American Way [ed. strong language to follow. But you knew that].

That said, when you get outside of the legislature, elected officials of statewide prominence on our issues from the DFL are almost impossible to find. Which makes it all the more important that, when we do have one, we support her -- and not just because she's been great on our issues, and deserves our support, but because it's important that other DFLers know that if and when they step forward and do the right thing, that will be noticed.

Yeah, I said "she." During my quarter century or so in Minnesota, there's been only one statewide DFL officeholder I can think of who has been great on our issues -- not just talking the talk -- and she's our Attorney General, Lori Swanson.

Which is why I'm going to be contributing to her campaign, and thanking her for her consistent good work on our issues -- which goes back at least to her time as the Solicitor General, when she worked hard -- although not successfully, alas -- to support the original MCPPA during the appeal. And, yeah, that counts; we can't ask our supporters to win every time, but we can ask that they go in, swinging, all the time, and let the other side know that they've been in a fight.

I'm going to let her know that her work is appreciated, and that -- speaking for myself as both a GOCRA supporter, which I am, and as the owner of twincitiescarry.com -- I'm willing to put at least a little money where my mouth is.

If you want to do the same, you can send a check -- no cash, please! -- to:

Lori Swanson for Attorney General
P. O. Box 65490
St. Paul, MN 55165

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: There are good Democrats on gun issues. Lori Swanson, say
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

How unfortunate that there is only one that has not only talked a good game, but followed through as well. What kind of a statement does that send? :bang: :bang:

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Moby Clarke wrote:
How unfortunate that there is only one that has not only talked a good game, but followed through as well. What kind of a statement does that send? :bang: :bang:

The statement that we better support her, or others won't follow in her footsteps.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Second amendment single issue voters represent at least a few percent of all voters. Probably at least 40% would probably vote Democrat except for this isssue. That's enough to tip many races.

Democrats would rule the world today if not for gun control. Gore would have been President instead of GW the past 8 years. We need to tell em that. The Republicans won't. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:59 pm 

while my natural reaction is to be suspicious of anything to do with the DFL I can't see any reason to vote against her and will support her especially if she has a primary opponent.
I think I'm having a collage flashback that was the last time I was willing to actively support a democrat for anything, but then again it was Dorgan and he was running against someone from Fargo and as far as the western 3/4 of the state is concerned that may as well be Minnesota.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

What is she running for? Gov?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:27 am 
The Man

JimC wrote:
What is she running for? Gov?
I'd like that, but, at least for now, she's a candidate for reelection as AG.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:27 am 
The Man

Dick Unger wrote:
Second amendment single issue voters represent at least a few percent of all voters. Probably at least 40% would probably vote Democrat except for this isssue. That's enough to tip many races.

Democrats would rule the world today if not for gun control. Gore would have been President instead of GW the past 8 years. We need to tell em that. The Republicans won't. :lol:

Nope; that's our job, not theirs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:30 pm 

I don't know much about her and wonder what she's done to protect 2a and self defense rights in MN but found this little blurb about her...

Quote:
On weekends, she enjoys shooting trap with her ’53 shotgun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pro 2A Democrats are essential, because that's the only way to get the whole Democratic party out of the gun control business. The Brady organization is a lot like ACCORN, it sponsers all manner of little orgainizations like Citizens for a Safer Minnesota. Every state will have something similar. The local people are virtually all grass roots Democrats, that's why the Democratic party endorses this crap.

Gun control brings in some money, but does not make sense, because it loses elections. But the party is run by the people, who don't want to offend any other Democrats, not by logic. It's like God invented the issue to prevent the Dems from winning it all.

If enough Democrats work the numbers, they'll likely tell Brady to get off their side. Except for loyal local Democrats who work for the Brady affiliates, most Democrats don't really care one way or the other about the issue. the ones that do support us.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.