Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:48 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Long Gun Carry 
 Post subject: Long Gun Carry
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:08 pm 

Is it legal to carry a long gun without a permit to carry?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Long Gun Carry
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:18 pm 
Raving Moderate

Maybe. Depends on context. In general:

MN Revisor of Statutes wrote:
624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.

Subdivision 1.Definitions. For purposes of this section, the following terms have the meanings given them.
(a) "BB gun" means a device that fires or ejects a shot measuring .18 of an inch or less in diameter.

(b) "Carry" does not include:

(1) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun to, from, or at a place where firearms are repaired, bought, sold, traded, or displayed, or where hunting, target shooting, or other lawful activity involving firearms occurs, or at funerals, parades, or other lawful ceremonies;

(2) the carrying by a person of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun that is unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm, if the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and no portion of the firearm is exposed;

(3) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun by a person who has a permit under section 624.714;

(4) the carrying of an antique firearm as a curiosity or for its historical significance or value; or

(5) the transporting of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun in compliance with section 97B.045.

(c) "Public place" means property owned, leased, or controlled by a governmental unit and private property that is regularly and frequently open to or made available for use by the public in sufficient numbers to give clear notice of the property's current dedication to public use but does not include: a person's dwelling house or premises, the place of business owned or managed by the person, or land possessed by the person; a gun show, gun shop, or hunting or target shooting facility; or the woods, fields, or waters of this state where the person is present lawfully for the purpose of hunting or target shooting or other lawful activity involving firearms.

Subd. 2.Penalties. Whoever carries a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun on or about the person in a public place is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. A person under the age of 21 who carries a semiautomatic military-style assault weapon, as defined in section 624.712, subdivision 7, on or about the person in a public place is guilty of a felony.
Subd. 3.Exceptions. This section does not apply to officers, employees, or agents of law enforcement agencies or the armed forces of this state or the United States, or private detectives or protective agents, to the extent that these persons are authorized by law to carry firearms and are acting in the scope of their official duties.

So, while hunting or target shooting in a legal area- good to go. On private property not "regularly and frequently open to or made available for use by the public in sufficient numbers to give clear notice of the property's current dedication to public use"- good to go. In a public place, with a permit to carry- theoretically good to go, but not advisable for a plethora of reasons. In a public place, without a permit to carry- gross misdemeanor.

ETA: IANAL, YMMV, consult your own financial professional before making any decisions that may have tax implications, etc.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:24 pm 

why?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

CharlesKane wrote:
why?

ahhh … why "what"?

Could you flesh out a bit exactly what you are seeking? Are you challenging the Minnesota House? The Minnesota Senate? The governor who signed it into law?

If you are seeking the rationale for passing such a law you might have to take that up with the individual legislators.

If you are questioning why Jeremiah is making his own analysis of the law you will have to pose your question in such a way that it is directed solely to him.

Me? I'm going to pop some popcorn, take a chair, and see exactly where this is going.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

...and once you get in your vehicle, you're "transporting" a long gun. It'll need to be unloaded, and depending on where you are, cased as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:40 am 
Raving Moderate

Traveler wrote:
CharlesKane wrote:
why?

ahhh … why "what"?

I originally posted a simple "No"- I'm guessing the "why" is based on that. I came back 10 mins. or so later and added the citation and analysis.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:12 pm 

exactly :)

i asked the question because i didn't see where it talked about long guns. only pistols and on my permit it only says pistols but i am pretty sure with permit i can carry pistol and long, under the Minnesota personal protection act

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:32 pm 
Raving Moderate

While in theory it is permissible, from a statutory perspective, you're likely in for a very rough time* if you do, and may well cause that part of the law to change for the worse if it gets any significant media attention. Please consider this.

*A charge of "disorderly conduct" wouldn't be out of the question, for instance, along with confiscation of the weapon in question. You may beat the charge, if you can afford the attorney, but you're still out time, money, etc...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's in the statute that prohibits carrying firearms ns in a public place. The statute said if you have a pistol permit then you are NOT "carrying" for the purpose of that statute. So, there is no Minnesota law against having a long gun in a public place if you have a pistol permit. That which is not prohibited is "legal".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:15 pm 
Raving Moderate

Dick Unger wrote:
It's in the statute that prohibits carrying firearms ns in a public place. The statute said if you have a pistol permit then you are NOT "carrying" for the purpose of that statute. So, there is no Minnesota law against having a long gun in a public place if you have a pistol permit. That which is not prohibited is "legal".

Yup- That's 624.7181, the statute I quoted above. Unfortunately "legal" != "Won't be detained/cited/arrested by cops who either don't know the law or don't think it applies to them"; I've got (unfortunately) some experience with this. Just trying to keep him from a similar problem.
:)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

No reason to "carry" a long gun. The nail that sticks out gets hammered on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:
No reason to "carry" a long gun. The nail that sticks out gets hammered on.

Of course there may be a legit reason to carry a long gun. You may not think there is. I may not think there is but some might and Charles might just be that guy.

We know not the situation he has in mind, nor do we know if he is asking a hypothetical or not.

Your blanket statement is unwarrented.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:33 pm 

No I had no plans on doing it but I like to be informed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

Timing is everything.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:58 am 
Longtime Regular

A security guard or a bail agent would commonly have a long gun sometimes, and carrys under the same permit you have.

Open carry by a non-uniformed person will cause confusion sometimes....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.