Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:42 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Bicycling carry? 
 Post subject: Bicycling carry?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:09 pm 
Journeyman Member

Does anybody have any suggestions for carrying while bicycling?

For short trips I can just carry in a pocket holster in my shorts and it works fine, but for long rides that's not very comfortable and I think it'll wear out the pocket prematurely.

I don't want to carry in my panniers because they're not quickly accessible. I figure if I have time to get off the bike and unzip the panniers, I probably have time to ride away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've seen skinny nylon cases that fit in the frame. Could you velcro a holster in there?

How do you dress when you bike?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:11 pm 
Journeyman Member

fanny pack, but wear it in front......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:12 pm 
Journeyman Member

Good idea on the frame thingie. Hadn't thought of that. Maybe I should take a look at one of those and see how convenient they would be.

How I dress depends on the weather. Usually just a t-shirt and bike shorts. More layers if it's cooler, but nothing with good pockets for carry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:14 pm 
Journeyman Member

I'll check into the fanny pack idea too and see if it's comfortable enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:53 am 

If you're riding any distance (over 10 miles), you have to wear padded lycra bicycle shorts and shirt or you'll have chafed thighs, pulverized gonads, and an aching ass. This clothing doesn't have pockets, except for in the back of the bicycle shirt, but this is stretchy material and won't support even the lightest pocket gun.

I always carry when I ride with a fanny pack. It's not the ideal method for carrying, but there isn't a really good option. I have thought about trying to rig up some sort of holster on the front straps of my Camelback, but this would chafe against my chest and be too uncomfortable.

Bristol’s Bastards: In Iraq with the 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry of Minnesota’s National Guard: Bravo Company of Minnesota’s National Guard fought alongside the Marine Corp in Al Anbar province through the deadliest period of Operation Iraqi Freedom, kicking down doors, dodging IEDs, battling insurgents, and trying to help one another survive in the deadliest place on earth. Available in bookstores everywhere. For autographed copies, visit bristolsbastards.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:28 am 
Longtime Regular

I use a fanny pack from time to time to carry with; it isn’t too bad. One suggestion is to avoid the fanny packs that are designed for carry, usually all leather; they just say “I’m Carrying”.

I use a Swiss Army fanny pack that I bought at REI; it has worked very well for years, although I haven’t used it on a bicycle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:28 pm 

I often ride 10 miles plus (hell I rode the MS150) and don't wear any special lycra bike clothing. Just a tshirt and a pair of shorts. I've thought about getting something that isn't cotton though, especially for that hot weather. Anyway, I've never had any problems with soreness or chafing (other than the butt was sore after 150 miles of the MS150).

Anyway, I usually wear a back pack when I'm biking, whether it be a camel back when on the mountain bike trails or my big backpack for when I go to work. I was thinking about sewing a pocket on the back of my backpack where I could stow a gun up against my back, but it would have to be moisture resistant because of sweat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:40 am 

Quote:
I often ride 10 miles plus (hell I rode the MS150) and don't wear any special lycra bike clothing.

Some people enjoy a good scrotal clamping, too, but that doesn't mean it's everyone's idea of fun.

Bristol’s Bastards: In Iraq with the 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry of Minnesota’s National Guard: Bravo Company of Minnesota’s National Guard fought alongside the Marine Corp in Al Anbar province through the deadliest period of Operation Iraqi Freedom, kicking down doors, dodging IEDs, battling insurgents, and trying to help one another survive in the deadliest place on earth. Available in bookstores everywhere. For autographed copies, visit bristolsbastards.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:08 am 

Lobotomy Boy wrote:
Quote:
I often ride 10 miles plus (hell I rode the MS150) and don't wear any special lycra bike clothing.

Some people enjoy a good scrotal clamping, too, but that doesn't mean it's everyone's idea of fun.

Some people are just looking for opportunities to look cute in brightly colored skin tight spandex while the rest of us just enjoy the bike ride.

Another thought though, if you get a cycling jersey (and you can get loose fitting ones that don't cling skin tight, unless you just have a need for that sort of thing) It will have pockets in the back. You might be able to rig something up with those pockets, maybe sew in some velcro on the inside to hold a holster in place or something like that. Might be worth investigating to see what you can do.

Especially with the hostility that there seems to be against bicyclists (no thanks to tom bernard on that one) I wouldn't consider it unwise to carry while riding. I know of a few people that have been run off the road and beaten by jerks that just hate bicyclists. I know of another guy who was grabbed by the passenger in a passing truck and the truck started accelarating to highway speeds and he couldn't get away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:59 am 

Quote:
Some people are just looking for opportunities to look cute in brightly colored skin tight spandex while the rest of us just enjoy the bike ride.

Some of us look cute no matter what we wear, so that's not an issue. I bought a bicycle this spring with a royalty check I got for a book I wrote a couple of years ago--found money I didn't expect--and one 20-mile ride around Elm Creek Park convinced me that riding with a loose t-shirt and no padded shorts was retarded. Since I've started wearing proper clothing I've done multiple 40-mile days in a row with no discomfort. I haven't done a 150-mile ride, nor would I without proper clothing, but then again I wouldn't have my nipples pierced, either, because that looks like it would hurt.

But some people like to be tough guys, pierce their privates, shoot shotguns and rifles without padded shooting jackets or vests, and ride bicycles without padded shorts. More power to you, but I still say it's retarded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:03 am 
Longtime Regular

Smiles, smiles, everyone!

Let's keep it friendly and respectful, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:07 am 

Lobotomy Boy wrote:
shoot shotguns and rifles without padded shooting jackets or vests, and ride bicycles without padded shorts. More power to you, but I still say it's retarded.

If you get a sore shoulder from shooting a rifle or shotgun then I say you should be working on your technique not compensating for your failures by buying gadgets. If you use good technique you can shoot all day and not be sore.

Same goes for riding a bike. Take your bike in and have it properly adjusted and get a quality seat, then you won't have to look like a lance armstrong wannabe :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:56 pm 
On time out

One thing i would like to clearly state, Please do not carry SOB style, (small of the back) when riding. one of the main arguements against carrying there is that if you get in a fight and fall on your back, the gun will cause a spinal injury. Now the chances of me getting in a fight a lot less than the chances of me falling while riding a bike and i would be falling from a greater elevation and at a higher speed. just something to consider. I usually carry in a shoulder holster a cheap knock off of a galco miami classic, instead of leather x straps on the back this one has nylon stretch material and i find that under a baggy "addidas" style tennis warm up or running jacket no one can make me but it is entirely comfortable unless it is above ninety degrees. I hesitate to afix the gun to the bike due to a numbe of bike jackings i have heard of around the lakes. A group of thugs sits beside the bike path waiting for a single rider and then just tackles him off the bike and the bike is pawned in hours. I know of two cannondales stolen this way this year. If you leavethe bike then you have left your gun if you stick it in a frame pack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:41 pm 

I think I would want the gun on my person, not attached to the bike as well. I just don't like the idea of being separated from it that easily.

SOB is a problem, if you attached to the back somehow (backpack, pocket in jersey, etc...) you should try to get it off the the side as much as possible. With a jersey that might be more difficult as it may move, positioning the gun in line with your spine as you fall.

It's not an easy situation.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.