Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Can't carry at a library?? 
 Post subject: Can't carry at a library??
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:08 am 
According to this guy, you cannon carry at a county library. I never heard that one.
"It is illegal to take gun into a Dakota County library, but it is legal to take a gun into Apple Valley's teen center, aquatic center, senior center, community center and youth athletic complexes."

http://www.startribune.com/stories/332/5549296.html

Post subject: wrong, wrong, wrong
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:09 am 
Activist Extraordinaire

The only library that I know of that you can't carry in is the Galaxie Avenue one in Apple Valley, because it's part of the courthouse complex, but if you notify the sheriff you're ok. I carry openly in the Wescott library in Eagan all the time, no problems.

Doug

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: wrong, wrong, wrong
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:19 am 
reaver3 wrote:
The only library that I know of that you can't carry in is the Galaxie Avenue one in Apple Valley, because it's part of the courthouse complex, but if you notify the sheriff you're ok. I carry openly in the Wescott library in Eagan all the time, no problems.

Doug
That must be the one he's taking about since he's from Apple Valley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:53 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Doesn't the weapons prohibition only apply to the court rooms and secure (prisoner type) areas? Or does it depend on the Judge's order?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:01 am 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
Doesn't the weapons prohibition only apply to the court rooms and secure (prisoner type) areas? Or does it depend on the Judge's order?

It depends on the Judge's order. Some judges have interpreted their ability to regulate their "courtrooms" pretty broadly, but to whom would one appeal? Their brother and sister judges? :roll:

Post subject: What I saw in Hastings last week...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:59 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

was that Judge Spicer, who seems to be the high muckety muck in these matters, has issued an order banning carry "in the courtrooms and Adjacent corridors" (paraphrasing) in all of the courthouses in the 1st Judicial District, whatever that is (seems to include Dakota County). These notices are posted outside each courtroom door, not the front entrance, so I take that to mean that if you give proper notice to the Dakota County Sheriff, you may carry in the courthouse, just not in the actual courtroom or the hall adjacent to it. At least in Hastings and I think Apple Valley, the courtrooms are down the hall and away from the other part, so you could go in and get a deed or map or something and not go near the courtrooms. I am not a lawyer, so don't take this as gospel. What I'm willing to risk may not be what you're willing to risk. I am giving notice to the sheriff this week because I have some work to do in the law library in Hastings coming up, and it will be an interesting test since they were installing metal detectors last week, and they should be up the next time I go. Sheriff Gudmundson did not give me any trouble when I notified him about the Apple Valley complex, so he seems to be following the law.

Again, this is only my take, your mileage may vary.

Doug
[/b]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:09 pm 

I'm glad he wrote that. I've always had a hard time figuring out where people on the city and county level stand on things as I don't have time to mow my lawn enough much less spend time at city council meetings. Now I know where this guy stands so I can vote against him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:45 pm 

The wording in the original article makes it sound like it is illegal to carry in ANY Dakota County Library. That isn't true... correct?

In Hennepin county some libraries aren't posted at all, while others (Edina comes to mind) have ambiguous signs that say "Hennepin County bans dangerous weapons on these premises", making it sound like they are trying to ban guns. I don't think they have the authority to do that, I think this is a lame attempt on their part to skirt the law. Of course since they don't define what a dangerous weapon is then I'm left to define it myself. Since my J-frame is for self defense then it isn't dangerous :wink:

It does annoy me that by declaring themselves a victim disarmament zone they are making me less safe. I'd like to challenge this brainless sign, but don't know how to go about it without outing myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:24 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

bab wrote:
"Hennepin County bans dangerous weapons on these premises"

My theory (off topic?) is that some places have purposely posted incorrect signage to give the appearance that they don't want guns. Or they know they cannot ban them so they just post a random sign.

Suspicious that a government entity doesn't know the correct verbage to use, and doesn't know/care they cannot ban guns.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.