Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 defensive handgun use in St Paul today 
 Post subject: defensive handgun use in St Paul today
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:05 am 

Heard on KSTP am 1500 at 7:00 am this morning (8/11) about three perps who lured a guy, Salim, to an apartment to rob him. In the ensuing scuffle, Salim pulled a gun and shot one of the perps. Police arrested the other two perps on murder charges and released Salim, which I'll assume is a clear indication of a permit. Haven't seen it yet in the print media.

Glad to see this kind of reporting!

Post subject: Here's the related article:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:21 am 

(WCCO) St. Paul A 26-year-old man was shot and killed while attempting to rob another man Tuesday night, St. Paul police said.

Police believe Travis S. Guise and a 21-year-old male accomplice attempted to rob a 27-year-old man at gunpoint in the 1500 block of Magnolia Avenue East in St. Paul around 10 p.m.

Guise and the older man struggled over the gun and it went off, wounding Guise, police said.

The older man took the gun and held Guise's accomplice at gunpoint until police arrived, investigators said.

Police said Guise was taken to Regions Hospital, where he later died of a single gunshot wound.

Guise's accomplice was arrested and booked.

Police said a 21-year-old woman was also arrested and booked in connection with the incident. They believe she arranged for the older man to be at the site where Guise and his accomplice attempted to rob him.

The older man was arrested and released following questioning, police said.

The medical examiner will perform an autopsy to determine the manner and cause of Guise's death.

Police said the case will be presented to the Ramsey County Attorney's Office on Thursday.

(© MMV, CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:36 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

OMG- The WCCO article is written in the prospective of the criminal? Using the criminal's name and NOT the name of the person defending himself? WTF?

I am new to using the term Liberal, but this sounds like a liberal media TACTIC.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:44 am 
Forum Moderator

This, if the paper is correct, was not a defensive gun use by a permit holder; it was an ironic shooting where the would be robber was shot with his own gun in an ensuing struggle.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:00 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Suppose I could of read the WCCO article a little closer... oops.

Still interesting that they used the robber's name and not the "older man"'s.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:59 am 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
Still interesting that they used the robber's name and not the "older man"'s.

He was arrested and released. The usual media policy (and it's a pretty good one) is to not name suspects before they are charged. You'll note that the 21-year-old alleged accomplice was also not named.

They named the dead guy `cause, well, he's dead, and won't be charged with anything.

- Matt (the journalism school graduate)

Post subject: St. Paul Shooting
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:46 pm 
Delicate Flower

Read the article and believe I also caught a little on the TV. Pretty much as is recounted above, but I also believe the woman was the "new girlfriend" of the man who was the intended victim.

I am sure there is more to the story than what has been reported. I hate to make disparaging remarks about "my side of town" (the address is about 3 miles from me) but this area is not what you would call the "pride" of St. Paul. There are housing projects and some fairly transient type apartments in the 2 block area.

Based on my experience on the east side of St. Paul for the last 30 yrs I would say that there could be anything from prostitution, drugs,
"gang-banging" etc. to the very simple robbery attempt that was reported. I lean towards something in-between. I wouldn't recommend using this as an example for anything other than "an incident we will never know all the facts about"

Incidentally, this wonderful area is located a stones throw away... straight out the back door of the new BCA building.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: St Paul Shooting
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:01 pm 
Delicate Flower

Just an added note.....Same area that was cordoned off less than a year ago in an attempt to capture the individual who shot and wounded a Ramsey County Deputy. (Deputy fine....suspect captured)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.