Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:06 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 College Carry 
 Post subject: College Carry
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:48 pm 

Where can I find informaiton on carrying a pistol inside a MNSCU building?

I can't remember the place where I saw information on this before, but it was very vague anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Packing.org: A public post secondary institution ... may establish policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by its students while on the institution's property. ...

So it's legal to carry unless stated otherwise?

Post subject: Re: College Carry
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Glock 10mm wrote:
Where can I find informaiton on carrying a pistol inside a MNSCU building?

I can't remember the place where I saw information on this before, but it was very vague anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Packing.org: A public post secondary institution ... may establish policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by its students while on the institution's property. ...

So it's legal to carry unless stated otherwise?

As usual, it is wise to go to the source document -- the law.

Subd. 18. Employers; public colleges and universities. (a) An employer, whether public or private, may establish policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by its employees while acting in the course and scope of employment. Employment related civil sanctions may be invoked for a violation.

(b) A public postsecondary institution regulated under chapter 136F or 137 may establish policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by its students while on the institution's property. Academic sanctions may be invoked for a violation.

(c) Notwithstanding paragraphs (a) and (b), an employer or a postsecondary institution may not prohibit the lawful carry or possession of firearms in a parking facility or parking area.

So if you are a student, you could be disciplined or expelled for carry. If you are an employee, you could be disciplined or fired. If you are a visitor, they can't prohibit you from varrying or ask you to leave for that reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:39 pm 

MNSCU outlines their policy here:

Quote:
Subpart B. Students.

1. Prohibition. Students are prohibited from possessing or carrying a firearm while on System property, regardless of whether the student has a permit to carry a firearm, except as otherwise provided in this policy.
2. Licensed peace officers. This policy does not apply to students who are licensed peace officers under Minnesota Statutes section 626.84, subd.1(c) (see related documents below).

It is nice to see they specifically outline valid permit holder 'visitors' as an exception to their policy:

Quote:
Part 4. Exceptions.

Subpart A. Parking areas. This policy does not prohibit the lawful possession or carry of firearms in a parking area or parking facility.

Subpart B. Authorized uses. This policy does not prohibit:

3. Possession or carry of a pistol by a visitor who has a lawful permit to carry a pistol pursuant to Minnesota Statutes section 624.714, subd. 1a (see related documents below).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.