Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:39 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Self-Defense Options 
 Post subject: Self-Defense Options
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:52 pm 
Journeyman Member

Hi everybody. I'll be moving to Minneapolis next fall--will be a freshman living in the dorms at the U of M. The neighborhood around the downtown campus seems pretty rough.

I'm only 18, so carrying a gun is out of the question. Does anyone know U of M's firearm policy off-hand?

What options do I have for self-defense? Self-defense spray? Knives? Expandable baton?

By the way, I'm a white male, 6'2", 170 lbs.

I realize this subforum is for carrying firearms, but it seemed to be the most appropriate location for this thread.

I think I'm going to miss pro-gun, open-carry, Arizona. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

You can open carry in Mn. When you can get a permit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:06 pm 
Journeyman Member

Oh yes, you're right, I forgot that MN is an open carry state.

But in Arizona you can open carry if you're 18 and without a permit (you shouldn't need a permit to defend yourself).

The problem is I can't buy a handgun from an FFL and I can't buy ammo for it.

I'm not sure why politicians think that the word "people" in "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" means people over 21.

Go Ron Paul, go!!! :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Self-Defense Options
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:56 pm 

Andrewsky wrote:
The neighborhood around the downtown campus seems pretty rough.

It's not. Don't worry yourself too much. Make good choices, apply common sense, stay somewhat sober, if not sober--avoid bodies of water, give a hoot-don't pollute, only you can prevent forest fires. Definitely will want to check the U policies on what you can and can't have in your dorm before you make weapon choices.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

123abc wrote:
Andrewsky wrote:
The neighborhood around the downtown campus seems pretty rough.

It's not. Don't worry yourself too much.

123abc is very wrong. On- and near-campus assaults have been skyrocketing. Do a search on this forum for some examples.

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... php?t=2889
http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... php?t=2908

The "U" bans its students, staff and faculty from having firearms on campus. They do allow pepper spray.

Here's their official policy:
http://www1.umn.edu/regents/policies/ad ... eapons.pdf

This is the legal definition of "dangerous weapons" that are banned by the Regent's policy:
http://ros.leg.mn/bin/getpub.php?type=s ... 06#stat..6

MN Stat. 609.02 wrote:
Subd. 6. Dangerous weapon. "Dangerous weapon" means any firearm, whether loaded or
unloaded, or any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death or great bodily
harm, any combustible or flammable liquid or other device or instrumentality that, in the manner
it is used or intended to be used, is calculated or likely to produce death or great bodily harm,
or any fire that is used to produce death or great bodily harm.
As used in this subdivision, "flammable liquid" means any liquid having a flash point below
100 degrees Fahrenheit and having a vapor pressure not exceeding 40 pounds per square inch
(absolute) at 100 degrees Fahrenheit but does not include intoxicating liquor as defined in section
340A.101. As used in this subdivision, "combustible liquid" is a liquid having a flash point at
or above 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:30 pm 
Journeyman Member

Thanks Rothman. So what are the most lethal things I can carry?

It seems the University policy isn't very specific on weapons--like how long of a knife I can have.

What is state and local law like in regards to weapons?

I'd love to carry an expandable baton (although I have no training).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Minneapolis has ordinances limiting blade length. The "U" says that "any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death or great bodily harm" is verboten, so that would mean, technically, no fighting knives.

I lived in the dorms at the U for three years. I learned that there's a wide chasm between breaking a rule and getting caught. On the other hand, getting kicked out of college on a weapons beef is pretty serious.

My recommendation: Don't stay in the dorms too long. They are drunken, expensive, oppressive environments with expensive, fat-laden food. An apartments, with roommates, can offer more space, more freedom and more flexibility in what legal items you wish to possess.

While you are in the dorms, well, get a good lockbox or document safe. Don't trust your roommate or your R.A.-with-the-master-key to keep out of your stuff.

I am a bit concerned that you ask what is "most lethal." The goal is to survive, not to kill, so the correct criterion is "most effective."

That said, I greatly enjoyes my time at the "U", except for all those pesky classes... :)

Andrewsky wrote:

It seems the University policy isn't very specific on weapons--like how long of a knife I can have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:58 pm 
Journeyman Member

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Minneapolis has ordinances limiting blade length. The "U" says that "any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death or great bodily harm" is verboten, so that would mean, technically, no fighting knives.

I lived in the dorms at the U for three years. I learned that there's a wide chasm between breaking a rule and getting caught. On the other hand, getting kicked out of college on a weapons beef is pretty serious.

My recommendation: Don't stay in the dorms too long. They are drunken, expensive, oppressive environments with expensive, fat-laden food. An apartments, with roommates, can offer more space, more freedom and more flexibility in what legal items you wish to possess.

While you are in the dorms, well, get a good lockbox or document safe. Don't trust your roommate or your R.A.-with-the-master-key to keep out of your stuff.

I am a bit concerned that you ask what is "most lethal." The goal is to survive, not to kill, so the correct criterion is "most effective."

That said, I greatly enjoyes my time at the "U", except for all those pesky classes... :)

Andrewsky wrote:

Well, effectiveness tends to go along with lethality, doesn't it?

So, is self-defense spray allowed at the U? What can I leave in my car that I could use off-campus?

Can you check weapons with U of M police?

[sarcasm]At least criminals will be deterred from bringing weapons to campus by U of M's fabulous no weapons policy.[/sarcasm]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:24 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
123abc is very wrong. On- and near-campus assaults have been skyrocketing. Do a search on this forum for some examples.

2006 Agg Assaults = 10
2005 Agg Assaults = 9

2006 Simple Assault = 44
2005 Simple Assault = 31

Skyrocketing? From what?

Robbery was down by the way (20 to 14). Homicide remains level (0).

You have to be fairly paranoid to call this a bad neighborhood. I suspect if you broke it down most of the assaults involve alcohol and college students. Am I using the wrong stats or do these numbers freak you out?

Okay, I admit I have not done extensive research on U crime. There certainly has not been a rash of random violence against students. Suggesting it is a bad area and dangerous is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Then again, some probably think Minnetonka is a rough neighborhood.

Being safe is always smart, being paranoid in this case is not neccesary.

"Most Lethal"? Disturbing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:37 pm 
Journeyman Member

123abc wrote:

I misspoke.

I just want to know what the most effective weapons I can legally carry are, being the careful individual I am.

If I wanted to kill somebody do you think I'd be asking you guys what I can carry?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:24 pm 

Andrewsky wrote:
123abc wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

I misspoke.

I just want to know what the most effective weapons I can legally carry are, being the careful individual I am.

If I wanted to kill somebody do you think I'd be asking you guys what I can carry?

Ok...ok...as long as you are mentally stable :) here is an answer to your original question....

Expandable batons are excellent weapons in certain situations but they require a fair amount of training to become competent. They also have a HUGE drawback....proximity! You should be making distance, not closing it. If your going to be close enough to your attacker to use a baton you better be good and even then it is still not a wise tactical choice. A baton is also heavy, often noisy, and viewed by many as an offensive weapon.

Pepper spray is actually a very good defensive weapon. Light, cheap, easy, and doesn't cause you too much grief to carry around. Get a police type stream model, not the Walgreens key chain model. The stream variety gives you more range, less blow back, and a more concentrated delivery. A small 1.5-2oz. short can is plenty for a one time encounter. Really ruins a persons day. Trust me, been juiced a few times now. The idea with this stuff is give them a good dose and run, the initial effect takes a few seconds to really grab a hold. Defense Technology makes a very reliable product. Buy an inert model that matches the real type you get. Spray the inert outside a few times to get an idea of range and the way it sprays. Foam=Bad, Fog=Bad, Stream=Good.

Taser? The civillian model X26. It is very expensive but with a little training is a heck of defensive weapon. Been zipped by these as well. They work. If attacked and the darts don't do the job you have a stun gun in hand as a last resort. Stay away from other so called "stun guns". The $15 pepper spray starts to sound like a really good option when you see the price tag doesn't it?

Be aware. Know where you are and where you are going. Carry a cell phone. Bring friends. Don't ever, ever, ever drive a car or ride in one--statistically they are VERY dangerous. If you must travel use a commercial jet, even for short trips to the store.

Really though, the campus is a pretty darn safe area considering how many people there are. There is a lot of activity and people around the common areas. The biggest risk of assault you face will involve other students, usually under the influence, not some gremlin lurking in a dark alley. If I wanted to mug someone to buy crack I sure wouldn't pick an 6'3" 18 year old. On the other hand another drunk 18 year old that thinks you disrespected him might have some hormone driven notion to prove his manhood (think simple assault stats).

Your biggest crime risk is going to be theft. Once you leave the dorms your biggest risk is your fire trap of a rental house burning down! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:33 pm 
Delicate Flower

I would not carry a baton unless you are up for the training to go with it. In inexperienced hands it's likely to be taken away from you and used against you. They can also end up being 'lethal force' if used incorrectly. Not good.

OC/CS of choice for me is Fox labs, as mentioned a 2 ouncer will be plenty, and the stream is by far the best.

Taser if you can afford it, but they really do need some training to use effectively.

All in all, OC/CS and some running shoes are the most cost effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:49 pm 
Journeyman Member

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yeah, I'm pretty mentally stable. I've never been in a fight or detained by the police.

That OC spray sounds pretty good, but what I'm really concerned about is the legality of carrying weapons in Minneapolis and at the U of M.

I do have a 21 inch ASP but the retaining clip is broken. I'll have to see if I can buy a new clip.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

123abc wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

2006 Agg Assaults = 10
2005 Agg Assaults = 9

2006 Simple Assault = 44
2005 Simple Assault = 31

Skyrocketing? From what?

Robbery was down by the way (20 to 14). Homicide remains level (0).

You have to be fairly paranoid to call this a bad neighborhood. I suspect if you broke it down most of the assaults involve alcohol and college students. Am I using the wrong stats or do these numbers freak you out?

Okay, I admit I have not done extensive research on U crime. There certainly has not been a rash of random violence against students. Suggesting it is a bad area and dangerous is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Then again, some probably think Minnetonka is a rough neighborhood.

Being safe is always smart, being paranoid in this case is not neccesary.

your stats are for REPORTED crimes and also do not cover the severity of aggravated and / or simple assaults. The problem is that the crimes may not have risen in number but they have dramatically increased in severity.

define near U ... most of the assaults and etc that were heard about were just off campus in ... surprise surprise, the places that students live and thus must travel to and from .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Your best weapon is your brain and being aware of your surroundings.

I have now been a student at the U for… well 8 years. The problem isn't really on campus crime. It is right across the street that it starts.

I now have two friends who were violently assaulted and robbed near the U. Another friend had a defensive gun use (never had to draw or even say anything, his jacket blew open at the right time). All of this happened in the last year.

Late at night used to be the worst time (no kidding right?), and being drunk greatly increased your chances of getting beat into a coma or found in the river. Seriously.

Recently there was a woman who was robbed midday on a Sunday.

Earlier this year (or was it last?) there was a group of disadvantaged urban young going around sticking a gun in peoples face and robbing them. This went on for 3-4 weeks. Minneapolis police then had a few additional people on campus (I don't know if you have seen how large the campuses are, but they are huge). Turns out that there was one officer who just happened to be very close to some people were being robbed by the thugs. Turns out that it was a BB gun that had its orange cap painted black.

Like I said your brain is your best weapon. Keep your eyes open and moving around. Then at least you have a shot at being in control of your situation.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.