Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:15 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Self-Defense Options 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:31 pm 
On permanent time out

123abc wrote:
EZDYNAMICS wrote:
Your best bet I would say, since thugs who rob always come in sets of 2 or more because there nothing without there buddies, but bear spray will do the trick, although its bigger to carry, second best option is fox pepper spray, a taser or baton are for close cobat.

Combine that bear spray and a bounty hunter badge and you are set.

lol funny but Id carry a gun since im old enough and bear spray is no joke that stuff will put a 700lb grizzly running

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:38 am 
Longtime Regular

EZDYNAMICS, you expect professionalism from police in a state that won't allow people to get police jobs with twice the required education if it came from an accredited school outside MN, but only demands junior college of the cops it hires that were educated in MN?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:02 am 

This is my new carry knife I picked up recently, its a Cold Steel Ti-Lite with the zytel sides(not the titanium one).

midwayusa.com has them, I got mine off of ebay for a few bucks cheaper, mainly because midway was back ordered.

It has a 4" blade exactly(I measured 4.025").

The thumb stud is pretty useless unless, the lockup of the blade when its closed is so solid I need to push on the tangs or whatever you call them. It can be opened really fast that way.

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:21 am 
Longtime Regular

JFettig, I've been carrying that same Cold Steel knife for a couple of years since they first came out. I bought mine pretty cheap at a gun show in AZ. That serrated part of the tang that sticks out is meant to be swiped on your pants as you draw the knife. If you do it fast enough it opens like a switchbalde. It was a pretty neat idea and why I bought the knife in the first place after the seller demonstrated how it worked.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:56 pm 

Ramoel wrote:
JFettig, I've been carrying that same Cold Steel knife for a couple of years since they first came out. I bought mine pretty cheap at a gun show in AZ. That serrated part of the tang that sticks out is meant to be swiped on your pants as you draw the knife. If you do it fast enough it opens like a switchbalde. It was a pretty neat idea and why I bought the knife in the first place after the seller demonstrated how it worked.

Wow! I didn't know that. I tried it out and now I like it even more. The only problem is that I carry it in my left pocket and I'm right handed.
it takes more of a flick to get to open after its semi-opened to keep it out front of me. I guess I'll practice a little.

Thanks,
Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:15 pm 

Macx wrote:
EZDYNAMICS, you expect professionalism from police in a state that won't allow people to get police jobs with twice the required education if it came from an accredited school outside MN, but only demands junior college of the cops it hires that were educated in MN?

Couldn't get hired or just bitter in general? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:06 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

123abc wrote:
EZDYNAMICS wrote:
Your best bet I would say, since thugs who rob always come in sets of 2 or more because there nothing without there buddies, but bear spray will do the trick, although its bigger to carry, second best option is fox pepper spray, a taser or baton are for close cobat.

OUCH - spoken like a true smartass -- I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

EZDYNAMICS wrote:
bear spray is no joke that stuff will put a 700lb grizzly running

I had a bit of a run-in with bear spray. I was testing mine before I took it into its third season. Sprayed it at a bucket and let the bucket sit for 15 minutes. In a moment of semi-youthful idiotic curiosity, I picked up the bucket and gave it a sniff. That wasn't too smart. As if my nose and throat didn't feel bad enough, I had to wipe away the tears and snot ropes. (Attractive sounding, huh?) Picking up the bucket had placed pepper spray on my hands, and I just wiped the spray into my eyes and onto my face. That didn't feel so wonderful either. My brother thought it was hilarious, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:31 pm 
1911 tainted

AGoodDay wrote:
Picking up the bucket had placed pepper spray on my hands, and I just wiped the spray into my eyes and onto my face. That didn't feel so wonderful either. My brother thought it was hilarious, though.

Ya, I can understand that, as long as it wasn't me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

AGoodDay wrote:
EZDYNAMICS wrote:
bear spray is no joke that stuff will put a 700lb grizzly running

I had a bit of a run-in with bear spray. I was testing mine before I took it into its third season. Sprayed it at a bucket and let the bucket sit for 15 minutes. In a moment of semi-youthful idiotic curiosity, I picked up the bucket and gave it a sniff. That wasn't too smart. As if my nose and throat didn't feel bad enough, I had to wipe away the tears and snot ropes. (Attractive sounding, huh?) Picking up the bucket had placed pepper spray on my hands, and I just wiped the spray into my eyes and onto my face. That didn't feel so wonderful either. My brother thought it was hilarious, though.

BET YOU'LL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
AGoodDay wrote:
Picking up the bucket had placed pepper spray on my hands, and I just wiped the spray into my eyes and onto my face. That didn't feel so wonderful either. My brother thought it was hilarious, though.

Ya, I can understand that, as long as it wasn't me.

Shoot, I was laughing at my own stupidity once I realized how stupid I had to look. No point in pissing and moaning about it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:29 am 
Longtime Regular

123abc wrote:
EZDYNAMICS wrote:

Resptech mah authoratah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

123abc, MN state law. Your state will not hire persons for Law Enforcement jobs, who have not had 2 years of college from a MN school, regardless of how accredited and generally more respected a given school out of state is . .. even if the possible job canidate has X2 the education . .. it is called POST certification here, basically a scam to benefit MN colleges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:59 am 
Longtime Regular

Macx wrote:
123abc, MN state law. Your state will not hire persons for Law Enforcement jobs, who have not had 2 years of college from a MN school, regardless of how accredited and generally more respected a given school out of state is . .. even if the possible job canidate has X2 the education . .. it is called POST certification here, basically a scam to benefit MN colleges.

I'm not sure...
Quote:
626.8515 CERTAIN BACCALAUREATE DEGREE HOLDERS ELIGIBLE TO TAKE LICENSING EXAMINATION.
A person with a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university who has successfully completed a board-certified practical skills oriented basic training course is eligible to take the peace officer licensing examination.

http://ros.leg.mn/bin/getpub.php?pubtyp ... t.626.8515

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:13 am 
Longtime Regular

The problem is, those "certain degree holders" have to have taken a P.O.S.T. board-certified practical skills oriented basic training course, which is accessable through duplicating nearly 2 years of undergrad in an MN school.

The core of the problem is that P.O.S.T certification is designed to favor MN graduates and the law is written in a way that gives MN colleges the authority to detirmine who gets a pass and who has to retake classes at an MN school.

It is okay, I found a job here that is fun, rewarding, and started out paying better than most cop jobs. During that first three months I was here looking for a job, it was really offensive to be told that my 4 year degree wasn't enough but a two year from an MN school would be dandy. I was more bitter about having a whole carreer path shut to me in this state, just because of legislation to favor MN schools. I haven't really been bitter since I landed the perfect (for me) job.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.