Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 92KQRS- Tom Barnard carry discussion 
 Post subject: 92KQRS- Tom Barnard carry discussion
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:05 am 

This morning (Mon Aug 15) the "KQ Morning Show" was having a discussion about some of the events of the weekend. The story of the 62 year old woman that was robbed in Mpls of $50 and a bottle of Pepsi, then run over (and killed) by the perps was discussed.

Concealed carry came up, and there were several callers on the issue. One guy was in Wisconsin and he said something to the fact that "You Minnesotans are lucky to have a carry law, now get out there and get the permit". The more surprising one was a woman who called in and had just got her permit. She was very sensible and said all the right things. The main point she made is just because you carry a gun doesn't make you special, you still have a duty to retreat. Much of the public still has a perception that a carry permit holder is going to be some type of vigilante, overall the "talk" was a positive for all us permit holders!

Also something I didn't know - Tom Barnard is obviously a permit holder, he said himself he carries 2 weapons on him at all time. Sounds like a carry advocate to me!!

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:20 am 
I've been listening to the morning show for a long time. Tom used to say that he wouldn't carry a firearm because he would just shoot anyone that annoyed him. Then a couple years ago I noticed his tune started to change. I pick up on queues when people talk about guns in general and I'm pretty sure that Tom has had his CCW for about 3 years.

I'm also pretty confident that his primary carry piece is a Glock 22.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:23 am 
And, as a resident of Dayton myself, I know that Tom bought the police department an "M16".

(I'm assuming that it was a reporter error, and that it's actually an AR-15. I can't imagine what Dayton police would need a full auto firearm for).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:29 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Anonymous wrote:
(I'm assuming that it was a reporter error, and that it's actually an AR-15. I can't imagine what Dayton police would need a full auto firearm for).

Police can still get full autos. So if he just donated the money for a AR-15, then they could have gotten a full auto one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:38 am 
I know they *can* get full auto as police, but what the heck do they need it for? It costs alot more. They can probably get 5 nice AR15s for the price of one full auto M16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:01 am 
Quote: "I know they *can* get full auto as police, but what the heck do they need it for? It costs alot more. They can probably get 5 nice AR15s for the price of one full auto M16."

Untrue. The Willmar PD has full-auto M-16s in some of the squad cars. I have a friend on the force who showed it to me a couple years ago. No, he didn't remove it from the stowage lock.

Anyway, he stated that the full-auto version was $20 more than a standard AR-15. You're thinking in terms of you and me getting an M-16 vs. an AR. It would cost many thousands for the regular guy but governments are exempt from such technicalities.

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:49 am 
Forum Moderator

Anonymous wrote:
I know they *can* get full auto as police, but what the heck do they need it for? It costs alot more. They can probably get 5 nice AR15s for the price of one full auto M16.

I'm not an Armalite armorer, but I'd guess that the difference between a select-fire AR and a single-shot AR is the selector lever, a hole in the lower receiver for the selector lever and a different sear, which is probably negligible in parts count + cost. Perhaps an additional $1 in labor depending on the level of automation in receiver milling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:45 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm watching for them to post the audio for this morning at http://www.kqrs.com/streaming.asp -- I'd like to listen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

There it is:
http://rope.92kqrs.com/morningshowstream/ms815.asx

I'll edit this when I find the time stamp for the discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

The discussion starts 40 minutes into the show.

TB: Tom Barnard
TT: Terri Traen
M1, M2: Male voices

40:55

TB: (police found the car) ...adding that it had out-of state license plates.
TB: You can bet your bottom dollar that a welfare check was in the back seat, too.

M1: Over fifty bucks and a soda they'll kill somebody.

M2: Man, has it been an active summer in Minneapolis.

TB: And it's going to get worse, too.

TT: It's gonna get worse.

TB: It IS going to get worse because they don't do anything about it.

TT: You know what? I think this woman did the right thing.

TB: What's that?

TT: Going after these people. I think.. here's my question: If you had a Taser gun, right, and this guy did this to you, and you Tasered him, would you be in trouble, then, because I think you would be.

TB: Not if you were certified to carry the Taser. You have to go through training to use it.

TT: But if he stole your fifty bucks and your Pepsi, and you Tasered him, would he be able to file suit against the gas station, or you...

TB: I don't think so.

M1: I've never used a taser. Is it be a good idea to use one at a gas pump?

TB: That might not be a good plan...

TT: I'll bet she would have been in trouble.

TB: I don't see why. He's committed a crime.

TT: Because it's just ass-backwards.

M1: Well, Tom, you've read stories about people who are arrested because they've gone after someone in their own home, they've sued `em. They can sue for anything.

TB: Well, you can, you're absolutely right, you can sue for anything, whether there's merit or not, you can go ahead and file a lawsuit all you want.

TT: If you shoot somebody, and it's in the back, and they're in your house, leaving, you can be in trouble.

TB: I don't know if I buy that.

TT: I'm almost positive.

M2: Especially if it's your wife.

TB: Yeah, then you got problems. Then you got problems, no question.

TT: You don't want to do that.

TB: I don't think if a stranger comes into your house and you shoot `em, that you can get in trouble. I don't care where you shoot `em. They're in your house. They're threatening your safety. I dunno. I'd have to see. Like I said, you can sue anybody, I suppose, but I don't know how you get in trouble for that. This is a situation, where, um, where we're rasing generation after generation of people that think there are no consequences for... they KNOW there are no consequences, they don't THINK there are no consequences for any of their actions, and they'll do whatever they want to.

TT: And then the comment that was made in the paper about, it's about poverty, or whatever?

TB: Ron Edwards.

TT: How old was this woman?

TB: 62.

TT: She worked. She had a job.

TB: Uh-humm. Are you saying that people who attacked here didn't have a job?

TT: Well, if they need the fifty bucks... (laugh)

TB: Come on, maybe it wasn't payday yet! ... The whole thing makes you want to vomit. Because it... I'm so tired of the lame-ass liberal excuses about, "ooh, this happened because of this..." It's happening because you're a scumbag, that's why it's happening. `Cause you're scum.

M1: You know how you can stop it?

TB: Hmmm?

M1: (unintelligible: "ama-frickin'-abi"? "Hammur-frickin'-abi"?)

TT: Yeah?

TB: Yeah, that's true.

M1: Eye for an eye. That's what they gotta get back to. They should, we gotta have a death penalty. For, when you kill somebody, you should be facing, you know, a death penalty.

TT: All the people in that car should get the death penalty, that drove off.

TB: You know it's interesting, also, over the weekend, it might have been Friday....There's always a discussion, "Ooooh, there's a RACE problem, oooh, it's all about skin color, you don't like me because of my skin color." No! We don't like you `cause you're so gaddamn liberal! THAT'S why we don't like you. You see the listing? The top ten most liberal cities in America? The ones with the largest minority populations.

M1: Really?

TB: It's not your skin color, it's your politics that are a pain in the ass. You knw, it's all about communism and handouts and no consequences for anything. It's not your skin color, it's your politics.

TT: The handouts are not workin', and did you see on the front page of the Star Tribune today? Minneapolis school meals? Free breakfast for all students! Why?

TB: Come on!

TT: Why?!

TB: Hey, it's breakfast, lunch, let's give `em dinner too.

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Analysis: Don't count on morning drive talk radio for legal advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:05 pm 

Given the number of people Tom Bernard offends and the number of threats he more than likely receives, carrying a concealed weapon is probably a good idea.

I recall when they moved to their new broadcast facilities they made a big deal out of the bullet proof glass that was used. Could have just been hype though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Fubar wrote:
Given the number of people Tom Bernard offends and the number of threats he more than likely receives, carrying a concealed weapon is probably a good idea.

I recall when they moved to their new broadcast facilities they made a big deal out of the bullet proof glass that was used. Could have just been hype though.

I remember him doing the show live in front of Coffman Union in the fall of 85 with nothing more than one of those church basement tables and his Zubaz (yes, those things) between him and his public.

Personally I think he's something of an asshat, but that's more about packaging than content per se. Reading his transcript, I don't find much that I'd disagree with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:21 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Quote: "I know they *can* get full auto as police, but what the heck do they need it for? It costs alot more. They can probably get 5 nice AR15s for the price of one full auto M16."

Untrue. The Willmar PD has full-auto M-16s in some of the squad cars. I have a friend on the force who showed it to me a couple years ago. No, he didn't remove it from the stowage lock.

Anyway, he stated that the full-auto version was $20 more than a standard AR-15. You're thinking in terms of you and me getting an M-16 vs. an AR. It would cost many thousands for the regular guy but governments are exempt from such technicalities.

Jon

Wright County received a number of M16's from the government, some type of post 9/11 grant. They left some full auto, coverted the rest to semi.

Check out the Maple Grove or Plymouth PD squads, H&K MP5's for everyone. Me, I'm glad to see them fully armed and I hope they get lots of ammo and time to practice. As with alll guns, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Ask the LAPD about their North Hollywood adventures that left them running into gunshops for weapons.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:30 pm 
The Man

IDPA Shooter wrote:
Check out the Maple Grove or Plymouth PD squads, H&K MP5's for everyone. Me, I'm glad to see them fully armed and I hope they get lots of ammo and time to practice. As with alll guns, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Ask the LAPD about their North Hollywood adventures that left them running into gunshops for weapons.

Sure. But coming up to speed with a fullauto weapon takes a lot more time and practice than doing the same for a rifle. If it were up to me, the default things for the cops to fall back on, to be kept in the squad, would be a shotgun (which is common), and a 30-30 (which is only done out in the sticks, and then only rarely). Let those who want to carry fullauto ones actually spend time practicing, and demonstrate proficiency far more than the quarterly (at best) not terribly demanding proficiency shoot.

But that's just my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.