Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:44 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Airport 
 Post subject: Airport
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

After being asked by a coworker and searching in all the wrong places I found the post on MSP airport carry.

http://www.packing.org/oldtalk/thread/?thread=41013

Quote:
Posted 2005-07-07 by ThatIsAFact
( Read 622 times with 10 comments , with 14 clickthroughs. )

Here is the link for MSP Airport Police

I had an experience recently, pertaining to the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, which illustrates why we must politely insist on being shown a concrete legal authority for things that we are told.
This occurred several weeks ago, which was several weeks after the Minnesota legislature re-enacted the Personal Protection Act.

I was planning to meet a loved one at the MSP airport. I called the number listed on the Airport Police website as the "On-Duty Sergent" (sic), 612-726-5107. I asked the man who answered if they had any policy regarding a permit holder carrying a concealed firearm in the areas of the airport OUTSIDE the security checkpoints. (I assumed that the man who answered was an Airport Police officer, which, as we will see, turned out to be a mistaken assumption.) "Don't do it!," he said, adding that one may not bring a firearm anywhere around the airport. I politely said that I did not see any such provision in the state law, and asked if he could point me to it. He said I would have to call the federal Transportation Security Administration for an explanation, and he gave me their toll-free number, 1-866-289-9673.

It took me awhile to get through to a live TSA staffer. After I explained the question, she suggested I call the local airport police. I said, "But they sent me to you!" After some minutes of waiting on hold while the TSA staffer consulted with other staffers, she said that as far as she could determine, "we have no rule against it," as long as the permit holder remains outside the security zone.

I called back the airport police "on-duty sergeant" number, and the same man answered. I explained that I had called the TSA as instructed, and had been informed their was no federal rule to bar a permit holder from carrying inside the airport. He replied emphatically that the airport could exclude firearms "just like a store can, or a church, for the safety of those who use the airport." I replied that the Minnesota law does allow private businesses to exclude firearms by posting their premises in a specified manner, and I asked if the airport was so posted. At this point, he abruptly said, "I am going to put you through to Sergeant So-and-So." Moments later I was patched through to a real police sergeant, who was driving around somewhere on the airport premises. I repeated the inquiry and told him what I had previously been told. The Real Sergeant (who gave me his name) was businesslike. He said that it was NOT illegal for a permit holder to carry concealed on the airport premises, but that "if we see the gun," the permit "and probably the gun" would be "checked." I understood this to mean that the carrier would be detained while the validity of the permit was checked and the serial number of the gun run through some database.

I complained about being given misinformation in the earlier conversations. He said that there has been some discussion of the concealed-carry issue on the airport board, but that no decision had been reached to post the airport (which I suspect would not be permitted under the state law, anyway).

I then called back the "on-duty sergeant" number and told the phone answerer that I wanted him to know that the Real Sergeant said there was no prohibition, "so next time somebody asks, you will know what the correct answer is." He interrupted, "I know, I was listening in on the conversation -- so now you have your answer." I said, "Yes, but what you told me earlier was wrong." He said, "I'm not going to argue with you, and now you have your answer." I said, "What you told me earlier, twice, you just made up, and that is not the job of a law-enforcement officer." He said, "I am not a law enforcement officer, and now you have your answer." I said, "Yes, but it should not have been so much work to get it."

In short, this guy just decided to tell a citizen what he thought the law OUGHT to be -- twice -- instead of what it really was. The poor fellow has a clerical job, but he apparently suffers from the grandoise delusion that he is a one-man state legislature.

I proceded to meet my party at the airport -- his exit gate happened to be right outside the Airport Police station, or one of them -- without incident. I would be interested to hear if anybody else has had good or bad experiences with this agency.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

The simple answer is this:

The airport cannot ban carry outside the secured area (past the scanners), and federal law does ban carry inside that area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Right after the law was first passed (2003), I called the airport and was informed that as long as a permit holder stayed outside the secured area, they could carry a handgun. I have done exactly that about a dozen times. I just go right in, wait just outside the security doors where exiting domestic passengers take the escalator down to the baggage check.

I have also done the same thing on several occasions outside the security doors where people coming in from international flights, enter the baggage area.

A least two times, I have gone up to the main Norwest Airline ticket counter, while carrying.

I have never been bothered obviously, because I carry concealed. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

Let's get a few guys and do some open carry there. I wonder if it would make the news, not because it's wrong but because I'll bet those airport guys are a tad high strung (and not without merit).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:21 pm 
Journeyman Member

mobocracy wrote:
Let's get a few guys and do some open carry there. I wonder if it would make the news, not because it's wrong but because I'll bet those airport guys are a tad high strung (and not without merit).

Just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:34 am 
Forum Moderator

APD wrote:
mobocracy wrote:

Just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should.

There was a poorly communicated but highly intended note of irony in my message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:48 pm 
Journeyman Member

Thanks for the clarification, Mobocracy. I was hoping that was the case. Can you just imagine the PR nightmare that would befall all of us if the media ever took off on such an event. I much prefer the maturity which has been demonstrated on this site so many times.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

APD wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, Mobocracy. I was hoping that was the case. Can you just imagine the PR nightmare that would befall all of us if the media ever took off on such an event. I much prefer the maturity which has been demonstrated on this site so many times.

It'd be a disaster. I'm guessing that even the general public who support MPPA in principal would just as soon that the TSA/Aiport Police give anyone with a gun at the airport a colonoscopy.

But I also think it's a kind of sad commentary on us as a public that we all tolerate what amounts to the suspension of the constitution at the airport without also acknowledging that it does almost nothing for our actual security. But I guess that's to be expected considering we pretty much tolerate its selective enforcement everywhere else.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.