Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:24 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Carry at the Capital 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

acemadison wrote:
ID BE INTERESTED IN FINDING OUT HOW LONG YOUR NAME REMAINS ON THE LIST AFTER NOTIFICATION

I was told, by a very professional State Police Lt. posted at the Capitol, that it remains there permanently.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:14 am 
Longtime Regular

Sietch wrote:
Today I got word that, they're sorry, but I'm required to send in photocopies of my DL and permit, and thanks for my cooperation.

I probably will do just that, and without much complaint. Still, I don't like having explained to me the notification requirements which, well, simply aren't.

I wouldn't do a damn thing. Can you tell me who the "word" came from? I see some fixing to do. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:34 am 
Longtime Regular

I first submitted my notice in December 2004, back when you got a return letter. I called up there today and I am still on the list.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Sietch wrote:
Today I got word that, they're sorry, but I'm required to send in photocopies of my DL and permit, and thanks for my cooperation.

I probably will do just that, and without much complaint. Still, I don't like having explained to me the notification requirements which, well, simply aren't.

I wouldn't do a damn thing. Can you tell me who the "word" came from? I see some fixing to do. :)

I'm with Andrew.

If you really feel like doing something call up their office and ask if you're on the list. If you aren't, request to be transferred to Captain Schrader and point out that you don't understand why they are asking you for the information? They can easily look up your DL or state id with your name and address alone. Same for the permit using the county and ref #. That would be way faster for everyone. Plus why would they trust applicant's copies of carry permits and DLs over their own DPS databases' information? It'd be interesting to hear her response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:18 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Sietch wrote:

It so happens that my e-mail was to sent to Mr. Campion, and CC'd to Mary Schrader. She responded and told me what I'd have to do. She was very nice about it. I still don't like jumping through hoops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:19 pm 

Who's got the number?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:26 pm 
The Man

Sietch wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
Sietch wrote:

It so happens that my e-mail was to sent to Mr. Campion, and CC'd to Mary Schrader. She responded and told me what I'd have to do. She was very nice about it. I still don't like jumping through hoops.
I like Captain Mary. She's a good, service-oriented cop, but she doesn't set the rules that folks above her in the TO&E do.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Carry at the Capitol
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:50 pm 

chunkstyle wrote:
acemadison wrote:
ID BE INTERESTED IN FINDING OUT HOW LONG YOUR NAME REMAINS ON THE LIST AFTER NOTIFICATION

I was told, by a very professional State Police Lt. posted at the Capitol, that it remains there permanently.

I was curious about this as well. My old permit expired in November 2008. I was a couple of weeks tardy in renewing. Today (6/2009) I E-mailed the Lt. (is she really a Capt.?) and was advised that I would have to jump through all the hoops again.

I know they got the notification letter for my old permit because I sent it certified mail and I got the green card back. So either my name was removed from the infamous "list" when my permit expired in 11/2008 or I never was on the "list" which is somewhat disconcerting.

Tomorrow I am sending them the necessary paperwork via certified mail. I guess it might be prudent to follow up with the Lt. to ensure I'm on the list. I do not choose to be a test case. Might be nice if the state would send a notification of some type.

Post subject: Re: Carry at the Capitol
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Steve wrote:
I know they got the notification letter for my old permit because I sent it certified mail and I got the green card back. So either my name was removed from the infamous "list" when my permit expired in 11/2008 or I never was on the "list" which is somewhat disconcerting.

It might be disconcerting, but their list is not your problem. You notified them, and you have proof of that.

Quote:
Tomorrow I am sending them the necessary paperwork via certified mail.

The "necessary paperwork" need be nothing more than a letter that identifies you, your permit, and indicates your intention to carry at the capitol.

Quote:
I guess it might be prudent to follow up with the Lt. to ensure I'm on the list. I do not choose to be a test case.

If it makes you feel better, sure, but you could also just carry the proof of delivery with a copy of the letter.

Quote:
Might be nice if the state would send a notification of some type.
They used to, but, you know, tight budgets, and instructors that hand ot blank notification letters. :D

Maybe the DPS should ask the lege to save them the paperwork and just remove the notification requirement.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.