Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Carry at the Capital 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

FWIW, I just submitted my capitol carry notification 8 days ago using the template provided by kimberman here. I intentionally chose this format as it only included my name, address, phone, county, and reference number...no other identifying info, no photo copy of my DL (or even my DL #), no DOB, no copy of my carry permit.

Today, I called capitol police to confirm that I was on the list. I was not. But they transferred me over to Captain Schrader. She said she had just gotten the paper work for me (like she was literally looking at the letter in front of her) and that I'd be on the list.

Not 15 minutes later, she called me back and asked for confirmation that I did have a DL under the name I provided. She said, "normally, we ask for the driver's license to be supplied." I just said, "yes, and the name and address on it matches what I provided with the letter." Well, I've got a single letter initial for a first name and go by my middle name. She apparently did a quick query for my DL from the info I provided and didn't find it at first because she used my middle name as the first. But she then thanked me for the clarification on the name and the call was over. There was no attitude; it was all business.

So apparently, while they may still ask for the DL and other information, they will "accept" the notification without the supplemental info as they should. Had they asked for it, I would have protested but still provided it if not doing so would have been a deal-breaker in their mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:43 pm 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation

ree wrote:
FWIW, I just submitted my capitol carry notification 8 days ago using the template provided by kimberman here. I intentionally chose this format as it only included my name, address, phone, county, and reference number...no other identifying info, no photo copy of my DL (or even my DL #), no DOB, no copy of my carry permit.

Today, I called capitol police to confirm that I was on the list. I was not. But they transferred me over to Captain Schrader. She said she had just gotten the paper work for me (like she was literally looking at the letter in front of her) and that I'd be on the list.

Not 15 minutes later, she called me back and asked for confirmation that I did have a DL under the name I provided. She said, "normally, we ask for the driver's license to be supplied." I just said, "yes, and the name and address on it matches what I provided with the letter." Well, I've got a single letter initial for a first name and go by my middle name. She apparently did a quick query for my DL from the info I provided and didn't find it at first because she used my middle name as the first. But she then thanked me for the clarification on the name and the call was over. There was no attitude; it was all business.

So apparently, while they may still ask for the DL and other information, they will "accept" the notification without the supplemental info as they should. Had they asked for it, I would have protested but still provided it if not doing so would have been a deal-breaker in their mind.

Did you send certified mail or email?

I sent both, neither with DL and was on the list within a week. I only submitted name, permit ref#, and expiration.

Not sure which method got me on the list though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

USPS. I was testing only whether they'd insist on copies of DL and other documents that should be unnecessary. Sending a redundant email could only have added work for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

What number do you call to verify your name is on the list?? Just Dept of Public Safety or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:20 pm 
The Man

kecker wrote:
What number do you call to verify your name is on the list?? Just Dept of Public Safety or what?
Call the Capitol; ask for Executive Protection.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

kecker wrote:

Sgt Michael Parker
Capitol Complex Security Supervisor
Rm B5, State Capitol
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-296-0398
Mike.Parker@state.mn.us

Send Sgt Parker an email.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

I had notified capitol security several years ago and wondered if I was still on the list. I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:29 pm 

Is the notification a onetime deal or do you have to do this for every event/visit you plan to the Capitol grounds/buildings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Inebrius wrote:
Is the notification a onetime deal or do you have to do this for every event/visit you plan to the Capitol grounds/buildings?

It's a one time deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:28 pm 
1911 tainted

But I would check to make sure that your name is on the list. I know of one case that a name was on the list and a few years later it was not. :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:48 pm 

I e-mailed my notification for the current permit's season last week, basically the template posted by Kimberman in another thread. I included my permit ref. #, as well as my DL # just for good measure.

Today I got word that, they're sorry, but I'm required to send in photocopies of my DL and permit, and thanks for my cooperation.

I probably will do just that, and without much complaint. Still, I don't like having explained to me the notification requirements which, well, simply aren't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:22 pm 
Trolling Doofus

ID BE INTERESTED IN FINDING OUT HOW LONG YOUR NAME REMAINS ON THE LIST AFTER NOTIFICATION

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

acemadison wrote:
ID BE INTERESTED IN FINDING OUT HOW LONG YOUR NAME REMAINS ON THE LIST AFTER NOTIFICATION

Pssst, your caps lock is on.

Doesn't really matter. You've fulfilled your legal requirement, their internal record keeping procedures are not your problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:29 pm 
The Man

acemadison wrote:
Welcome aboard, sure, but please remember that the CapsLock key is a condiment, not a protein.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:56 pm 
The Man

Sietch wrote:
I e-mailed my notification for the current permit's season last week, basically the template posted by Kimberman in another thread. I included my permit ref. #, as well as my DL # just for good measure.

Today I got word that, they're sorry, but I'm required to send in photocopies of my DL and permit, and thanks for my cooperation.

I probably will do just that, and without much complaint. Still, I don't like having explained to me the notification requirements which, well, simply aren't.
Me, neither.

I'm no lawyer, and I know that issues aren't notice and notification have some funny, technical issues, but I don't read anything in the statute about the form of notification, or any requirement to submit additional data. I did it the first time, 'way back when, because I had good legal advice -- not that it was necessary, but that this was a good way to do it -- but I don't think it's okay if even the most service-oriented departments (and the Exec Protection folks at the Capital rank up there, IMHO) require as much as a comma beyond what the laws says that they can.

Remind me, sometime, to tell you about the response I got, back when such notifications were so rare that the Capitol cops working there hadn't ever seen one before. It's a fun one, and it reflects well on the folks there, but it's more of an over-a-beer thing than an Intertubes thing.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.