Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:06 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mariucci Arena, U of M? 
 Post subject: Mariucci Arena, U of M?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Anybody been recently who can give the scoop on their screening/security?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

went to a hockey game. student entrance they were patting down those in student attire or with student tickets. they didn't pat us down.

I think they're looking for booze or noise makers more than weapons, no matter what they say.

I went with ankle carry and transitioned to pocket in the restroom stall.
This is what made me consider smart carry or a good ankle holster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:20 pm 
On time out

posted at the other sight too.

They wand, and pat down student ticket holders.

Regular season ticket holders and single game sales do not get this.

They inspect all bags, carried items etc. THEY say there is a size limit, but they got hell for denying a young woman for an "oversized" bag who played it right, her father is a HUGE contributor and she just said "fine, I will lock it in the car and return" and she did. Next day, ticket takers get new instructions as per order of the president of the U regarding bag size and notification.

Apparently this only applies to students, who enter on a student ticket, and were informed prior to purchase that no bag larger than 8 1/2 x 11 will be allowed.

I have seen them inspect TIny little "evening bag" sized purses, yet guys where three layers of sweatshirts are waved thru. I carry owb under a hoodie, or shoulder under a leather jacket with no problems ever. I probably make all but one or two games a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:00 pm 

isn't that University property where it can't be posted??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:35 am 

My experience : February 2nd, 2008

UND Fighting Sioux vs. MN Gophers at Mariucci Arena.

Hadn't seen a UND hockey game in at least a decade, and as a die hard and life long UND fan I couldn't refuse when tickets were offered.

I considered posting a similar thread here pre-game, but realized I wanted to enjoy a cold beer (or two) before/during the game, as was the ritual of past memories. Needless to say the 642 stayed home.
Beer and hockey OK. Beer and gun...well you know.

Parking was easy and the walk, though dimly lit in places, was comfortable due to large groups. This was a rare occasion for me, as I have "carried" almost everyday for almost 5 years now.

I don't know what felt more awkward. That I wasn't carrying, or that I was sporting the UND green in "enemy territory" :lol:

I arrived at Mariucci and out of habit scaned the doors for "signage".

Not posted. Nothing. Cool.

20 feet in I handed my ticket to the "wand bearer". Wand was secure on his belt. Apparently it takes two hands to rip a ticket in half. :lol:

Had to scurry up the stairs to meet my counterpart. She waltzed right past without notice. We found our way to our seats and than I set off for some popcorn and couple of beers(as was the ritual of past memories).

Apparently alcohol is no longer served at college events and we settled for a couple of Cokes which was fine.

Nontheless, it was a great game. The fighting stayed on the ice where it belonged and the maroon and gold fans around me were very, very polite and accomodating.

Apparently overly roughing the visiting teams patrons is also not allowed anymore. Wow, have things changed!

:lol:

I probably didn't give you any answers, but I would visit Mariucci again with little worries if carrying "deep" and or "smart".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:48 am 
Longtime Regular

in the main door, to the right, look at the left side of the stairs. that's where I remember the correctly worded signage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

I went last night. It was posted. It didn't look like the ticket checkers were doing much checking of anything else.

I had a diversion going though...I took my father in-law, who because he's old and in poor health, rode in a wheelchair from the car to the seats. We took the elevator at the east end and they only checked the tickets. I happened to SmartCarry and transfer to pocket carry later. It was wholly unnecessary.

In my experience, unless you're talking about court rooms or the airport, if you're assisting a handicapped person you are never treated as a threat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:58 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
went to a hockey game. student entrance they were patting down those in student attire or with student tickets. they didn't pat us down.

I think they're looking for booze or noise makers more than weapons, no matter what they say.

I went with ankle carry and transitioned to pocket in the restroom stall.
This is what made me consider smart carry or a good ankle holster.

Soooo, live ammo=good, blanks=not so much?

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:52 pm 
On time out

They have really cut down on the importation of containerized alcohol, which is fine,

the kids are still smarter than the rules and close observation reveals many uses of Camelbak type containers. At least these do not get thrown on the ice, believe me a 3 liter margarita is MORE than enough to get you thru something like this.

The students who were sitting in front of us last night had a regular bar set up, one kid had that Capt morgan and the other had Beam. They would buy a coke, place the mouth piece of the camel bak into the open bottle and then lean back against the seat, which would squeeze the camelbak and squirt out the goods. When he kindly offered to "reinforce" my diet coke after being praised for his innovation, he was safe from my busting him.

I feel like the French officer in Casablanca after being informed of gambling in the club......"College kids drinking? ! ? I am SHOCKED, Shocked I say......"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:05 pm 

plblark wrote:
in the main door, to the right, look at the left side of the stairs. that's where I remember the correctly worded signage.

I just checked the actual entrance doors and didn't see any signage.
I guess I expected that would be the best place to post if they really wanted people to see it.

Honestly I didn't look very hard after that, with all the commotion and other distractions once inside I'm not so sure I would have noticed anyway.

Is it safe to say Mariucci isn't "clearly" posted then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

Anyone been there yet this season? It sounds like concealed works OK if you aren't a student.

I scored some tickets for Mankato Mavericks @ Gophers, on halloween night. It is going to be awesome.

(I am going as Herb Brooks. I am putting on a cheesy 80's suit and plan on doing the follwoing all night.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:42 pm 
On time out

same procedures as last year and none of the areas are examined after you enter the building. I HATE the net, though, so if you go, write a nasty letter about obstructed view with the sheeple net in place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
...write a nasty letter about obstructed view with the sheeple net in place.

Section 21, row 7. No net to worry about! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:11 pm 

They're also looking for Octopi...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.