Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:06 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Darrell Mulroy, RIP 
 Post subject: Darrell Mulroy, RIP
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:31 pm 
The Man

Well, since somebody brought up Darrell, might as well talk about him. Dean Speir, a rather famous and awfully sharp gunwriter eulogized him here, and you'll find my short remembrance on the same website.

I took training, repeatedly, from Darrell, over several years -- the first time at the recommendation of Chuck Donaldson, the MPD cop who issued me my first carry permit. I liked the guy, and more importantly, I liked that he kept looking at the received knowledge/belief/superstition in the gun community in terms of facts. "You want to talk about 'muscle memory?'" he'd ask. "Great. Show me the medical literature that says that there's such a thing. The Strasbourg Goat Tests? Where's the evidence that they every took place? Gimme."

He was like that.

You'll find much of his writing on his own website at http://www.plusp.com/classroom. Given some of the discussion here, of late, I'd suggest that you start reading with http://www.plusp.com/classroom/lesson25.php .

Hell of a nice guy, with one strange sense of humor, and a lot to say. I'd recommend reading his essays, and deciding -- and researching -- for yourself if what he says makes sense.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Thanks...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:11 pm 

Thanks for that, I was beginning to feel a bit stupid.

I tend to agree with the position given in lesson 25. I've been robbed before, and I was in a blind panic when it happened. My reaction would not be to calmly assume a perfect stance and commence shooting. It would be to grab the gun and...well...to be perfectly honest, aim like I was pointing my finger at him. That's how I try and practice. I think one of these days I'm going to have to find a way to have a friend disrupt my concentration via sound (and do so in a safe manner) when I'm shooting to see what my reactions would really be like in a life or death situation.

Bartleby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:14 am 

Hmmm. My interactions with Darrell were limited to his basic two-day carry class in late 1999. I didn't ever do any others because, well, he wasn't my taste in instructors. He struck me as overly dogmatic on questions for which there isn't really one right or best answer. And it seemed that the more well-known self-defense writers whom he disliked or with whom he disagreed, he couldn't say one nice thing about--as if he enjoyed slamming everything about them, as if it were all or nothing; writers were either self-serving pretenders who should be disregarded and spat on, or all-knowing heros who could say and do no wrong.

But the thing that bothered me most was his insistence on point shooting (though, if I'm recalling correctly, he wanted it called something else). Assuming that my chest level is roughly at the chest level of the perp, hold the gun out at chest level and fire, and you'll hit the chest of the perp. My most vivid memory of that whole discussion was when he said that this would work out to 50 yards. That was the moment that I rolled my eyes and he lost me forever. In my view, a person who can insist on the truth of such a palpably absurd proposition can't be trusted to be a good judge as to whether *any* idea is sound or not. Reasonable minds can disagree on whether one should try and/or train oneself to use sights at, say, 7 yards or less. But go out the range sometime and try hitting an IPSC target at 50 yards by "feel" alone, and let me know how it works out for you.

I have no knowledge of Darrell's qualities as a person/father/husband/neighbor/etc. I have no reason to doubt the many who quite uniformly report him to be a fine man in all such aspects. But as an instructor in firearms, as I say, he just wasn't a good fit for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

rwoolley wrote:
But the thing that bothered me most was his insistence on point shooting (though, if I'm recalling correctly, he wanted it called something else). Assuming that my chest level is roughly at the chest level of the perp, hold the gun out at chest level and fire, and you'll hit the chest of the perp. My most vivid memory of that whole discussion was when he said that this would work out to 50 yards. That was the moment that I rolled my eyes and he lost me forever. In my view, a person who can insist on the truth of such a palpably absurd proposition can't be trusted to be a good judge as to whether *any* idea is sound or not. Reasonable minds can disagree on whether one should try and/or train oneself to use sights at, say, 7 yards or less. But go out the range sometime and try hitting an IPSC target at 50 yards by "feel" alone, and let me know how it works out for you.

I think it'd be really informative to literally "hit the broad side of a barn" -- cover the side of an old barn or other large structure with paper, stand back 25/50 yards and see just exactly where those shots that miss a Trasnstar II are going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:41 am 
See there are others that were not impressed with DM, and his teachings!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:29 pm 
Journeyman Member

I was fortunate to take one of Darrell Mulroy's last carry classes a couple of months before he passed away. To me, his straightforward, challenging and opinionated teaching style was quite refreshing. He was very much an icon to the local armed self-defense community.

Say what you will about Darrell's reliance on what we now call "point shooting", but it DOES WORK at relatively close ranges and it will save your life. He had us practicing it in near-black lighting conditions at the Burnsville Pistol Range and it was very impressive how easy it was to rapidly achieve multiple COM hits.

To this day I finish-up my target shooting practices with Darrell's point shooting drills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:35 pm 
Journeyman Member

rwoolley wrote:
Hmmm. My interactions with Darrell were limited to his basic two-day carry class in late 1999. I didn't ever do any others because, well, he wasn't my taste in instructors. He struck me as overly dogmatic on questions for which there isn't really one right or best answer. And it seemed that the more well-known self-defense writers whom he disliked or with whom he disagreed, he couldn't say one nice thing about--as if he enjoyed slamming everything about them, as if it were all or nothing; writers were either self-serving pretenders who should be disregarded and spat on, or all-knowing heros who could say and do no wrong.

I have no knowledge of Darrell's qualities as a person/father/husband/neighbor/etc. I have no reason to doubt the many who quite uniformly report him to be a fine man in all such aspects. But as an instructor in firearms, as I say, he just wasn't a good fit for me.
I went through 2 of his CC classes and I can't remember one time where he said point shooting was good out to 50 yards....we did all our shooting at combat range...7 yards.....most of LEO shootings occur at 3 yards or less anyway......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:12 pm 

I agree that it's useful for people to learn that at close ranges you can usually shoot approximately where you need to be without waiting for a sight picture. With my long-slide Glocks, at least, I can usually hit an IPSC target out to 15 yards with my eyes closed. (That is, I'm lined up in front of it, draw and fire blind.) Other guns don't feel as naturally pointing for me. It's also good to know that if you level the muzzle right out of leather, you can be roughly on target before you even bring the gun up.

But that's a lousy way to *plan* on having your lethal-force encounter. It's great to have it as a backup, in case there's no time to get the into a standard sighted stance, or to have the sense that you're on target before your visual cortex registers a sight picture, but I'm queasy about teaching people to rely on that.

As for 50 yards, maybe that day was the only day he said it. I've spurted out some stupid things, not realizing until later how stupid they were, or instantly regretting them but deciding they're not worth correcting because they were just throwaway comments. But I remember it plain as day, because of how his credibility dropped to zero in a split second. I was stunned by it.

That said, results speak for themselves. His style and teachings obviously gave considerable confidence to many, many students over the years, and his personality obviously won many friends and admirers. Perhaps I missed out on something great by deciding he wasn't a good fit for me, and by not spending time to get to know him personally. My intention isn't to run down his entire life or his life's work. It's just to say, it didn't work for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:06 am 
Journeyman Member

rwoolley wrote:
I agree that it's useful for people to learn that at close ranges you can usually shoot approximately where you need to be without waiting for a sight picture. <SNIP> It's great to have it as a backup, in case there's no time to get the into a standard sighted stance, or to have the sense that you're on target before your visual cortex registers a sight picture<SNIP>

Exactly. A nearly foolproof, automatic method to save your life when circumstances (darkness, surprise, the crippling effects of your own physiology) won't allow you to engage, with more refined target shooting practices, a determined assailant.

Darrell taught you well. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:32 am 
Journeyman Member

rwoolley wrote:
I agree that it's useful for people to learn that at close ranges you can usually shoot approximately where you need to be without waiting for a sight picture. With my long-slide Glocks, at least, I can usually hit an IPSC target out to 15 yards with my eyes closed. (That is, I'm lined up in front of it, draw and fire blind.) Other guns don't feel as naturally pointing for me. It's also good to know that if you level the muzzle right out of leather, you can be roughly on target before you even bring the gun up.

But that's a lousy way to *plan* on having your lethal-force encounter. It's great to have it as a backup, in case there's no time to get the into a standard sighted stance, or to have the sense that you're on target before your visual cortex registers a sight picture, but I'm queasy about teaching people to rely on that.

As for 50 yards, maybe that day was the only day he said it. I've spurted out some stupid things, not realizing until later how stupid they were, or instantly regretting them but deciding they're not worth correcting because they were just throwaway comments. But I remember it plain as day, because of how his credibility dropped to zero in a split second. I was stunned by it.

That said, results speak for themselves. His style and teachings obviously gave considerable confidence to many, many students over the years, and his personality obviously won many friends and admirers. Perhaps I missed out on something great by deciding he wasn't a good fit for me, and by not spending time to get to know him personally. My intention isn't to run down his entire life or his life's work. It's just to say, it didn't work for me.
How many shoot-outs have you been in lately that it didn't work for you???....I'm guessing that you are also a CC instructor by your post...most LEO's are taught using sights and their miss ratio is over 80%...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:29 am 
Longtime Regular

I am finding Mulroy's writing to be as dogmatic as the writing he disparages. For instance, he writes here:

Quote:
You won't remember a bunch of complex concepts. You will be filled with mind numbing terror. Crapola like "muscle memory reflex" are terms invented by gun writers trying to sound knowledgeable. It is not a scientific term or founded in science. It just "sounds good" as so many other things do.

But I found this:

Quote:
What is muscle memory and how does it work?

"Muscle memory" is the terminology used by muscle physiologists to describe the phenomenon of skeletal muscle activity that is learned and becomes essentially automatic with practice. For example, walking is automatic and takes no real cognitive effort for healthy adults but is initially learned and takes great concentration on the part of a toddler. With constant practice, the neural networks and motor neuron/muscle group pathways become fast and effortless, requiring no conscious thought to achieve the fluid sequence of motor activity that produces optimal walking behavior. Indeed, we rarely actually "think" about walking, and thinking about it might actually slow down walking or interrupt the coordination of the walking pattern. However, if an individual becomes ill and is bedridden for any length of time, walking must be relearned. This same phenomenon of learning and "memorizing" sequences of skeletal muscle activities or behaviors occurs for various tasks besides walking and is much of what athletes are doing when they are training for a particular sport.

The cellular mechanism responsible for this memory is not completely understood. Clearly, the biochemistry of synapses (chemical messages) between the motor nerves and muscle cells is up-regulated when used repeatedly. However, exactly how this occurs is under investigation. In addition, the synaptic transmission is just one component of a complex series of events involved in motor function.

(C. Subah Packer, Ph.D., associate professor, Department of Cellular and Integrative Physiology, Indiana University School of Medicine)

A similar explanation by another scientist is here:

Quote:
....There is no such thing as "muscle memory," because your muscles
are just composed of fibers that contract (get smaller) and relax. The
actual "memory functions" are in the brain.

The general coordination for muscles is in a very old part of our brain that
humans retained from our anmal ancestors, called the cerebellum. The cerebellum
in most lower animal species simply functions "automatically," through reflex
action.

Human beings have more precise ability to control our muscles, in a structure
in the higher brain, called the cerebrum, and the structure area is known as
the "motor cortex" area. There are specific areas in the motor cortex for the
various muscles that humans can voluntarily control, such as arms, hands,
fingers, legs, feet, toes, etc.

As you practice with your voluntary muscles, your motor cortex makes new nerve
connections for that area. The more you practice, the more nerve connections
there are. Basically, it is like having a "dirt road" that, with practice,
becomes a smoothly paved highway. Your brain learns that it will continue to
get stimulation to the same area, so the brain makes the connections easier for
the stimulation to be processed. That is why any voluntary motor movements are
difficult at first, and then become smoother, more precise, and easier to do,
after many repetitions.
(Paulette Caswell, Theoretical Synthesist, Neuroscience Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate)

This matches what we can intuit very well: you can practice something until it's "second nature."

When tying my shoes, I don't think, "The bunny goes twice around the tree and down the hole" -- my fingers just know what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:32 am 
Journeyman Member

Sure you can, but the adrenalin is not rushing through your body..most LEO's can't even tell you how many shots they shot, and most will tell you that you lose all your senses and develop tunnel vision...tying shoes and someone shooting at you is really different....now this is just what I have read about street shootings...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:51 am 
Journeyman Member

I have no doubt that "muscle-memory" exists and that humans can become very good at various physical activities with practice, but even the scientists admit that muscle memory is a perishable commodity; eg, "However, if an individual becomes ill and is bedridden for any length of time, (even) walking must be relearned.."

Also perishable without constant practice is the refined shooting process of stance, grip, sight alignment, sight picture, breath control and trigger squeeze.

When a life or death combat situation is suddenly thrust upon you the fight-or-flight adrenaline response may further incapacitate the more refined elements of target shooting for even the highly trained.

See "What Really Happens in a Gunfight": http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/what_happens_gunfight/index.html

Remember that Darrell was teaching a basic handgun survival technique to students who may have recently purchased a pistol and may have very little range time under their belts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Certainly there are distinctions, and the existence or nonexistence of muscle memory is not the determining factor in evaluating point shooting.

Still, his insistence that the concept is an invention of gun writers makes me wonder: On what other fallacies are his theories based?

As with all training and lore, my take on it is this: take what's useful to me, leave the rest, and no hard feelings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Sure you can, but the adrenalin is not rushing through your body..most LEO's can't even tell you how many shots they shot...

Sure, but for the most part, they do remember how to work their wacky triple-dipple-retention holsters and their guns.

I am going to stick with my intuition: Practicing is better than not practicing.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.