Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 IDPA Southern MN or Mankato area 
 Post subject: IDPA Southern MN or Mankato area
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:39 pm 

I've never been to an IDPA match and from reading up and other's comments it sounds like a blast. I would really like to come and watch to get a feel for the events and then hopefully participate after that. Just wondering if I can get some good tips on preparing for matches and what I should watch for. I have read the rulebook online but it's all a little intimidating at this point.

I live in North Mankato so some info on matches closer to home would be appreciated!

Also, I don't really understand the ammo rules for matches. Do you use SD ammo or do most shoot range/target ammo?

Post subject: Re: IDPA Southern MN or Mankato area
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

smithk4 wrote:
I've never been to an IDPA match and from reading up and other's comments it sounds like a blast. I would really like to come and watch to get a feel for the events and then hopefully participate after that. Just wondering if I can get some good tips on preparing for matches and what I should watch for. I have read the rulebook online but it's all a little intimidating at this point.

I live in North Mankato so some info on matches closer to home would be appreciated!

Also, I don't really understand the ammo rules for matches. Do you use SD ammo or do most shoot range/target ammo?

I can't help with matches further south (I'm a TC metro boy), but it is indeed a blast!

You'll need formal holster training for your safety and ours. If you haven't done much holster work, it'll get you practicing correctly and safely. I find that quick acquisition is my biggest weakness...the COF may seem slow when other people shoot it, but it goes FAST when you're at the line.

I shoot range (ball) ammo, as does pretty much everyone I know.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:13 pm 

I'm running IDPA events at the Fairmont Trap Club near Fairmont. All of the shooters there are really new at it. Cost is $5 for members, $10 for non members.

Here is a list of the dates I have set up for the year.

May 6
May 20
June 3
June 20(Sat)
July 1
July 15
July 29
Aug 12
Sept 2

They are all Wednesday nights at 6:00 except for June 20th which is a Saturday from 9-noon.

They also do IDPA at Key Cities Conservation Club near Madison Lake. If you contact Cobb on the forum here he might have more information for you. I shot IDPA there the last couple of years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:42 am 

Sixstring wrote:

They also do IDPA at Key Cities Conservation Club near Madison Lake. If you contact Cobb on the forum here he might have more information for you. I shot IDPA there the last couple of years.

This. I had a membership there last year and IDPA was always great fun. My first night there everyone was so cool and helpful, I learned sooo much. I'm pretty sure you need a membership out there though. I wanna say they are like $75 but I'm not positive. I would buy another one this year if I wasn't a poor college kid. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:53 am 
Longtime Regular

We do IDPA matches at the Faribault Rifle & Pistol Club on Wednesdays starting about May 20. There are 3 IDPA stages and I run a seperate IDPA BUG (Back-Up Gun) match (3 stages 15 rounds) in one of the bays. No club membership required for the league matches.

We also do IPSC matches on Tuesdays.

I also attend the IDPA matches in Mankato. Mankato requires membership but has a reduced price membership if you only shoot the league matches there.

Post subject: IDPA Mankato
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:27 am 

By Mankato do you mean Key Cities or another range? Who would one contact to get a membership?

Post subject: Re: IDPA Mankato
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:20 pm 

smithk4 wrote:
By Mankato do you mean Key Cities or another range? Who would one contact to get a membership?

Yes. He is talking about Key Cities. You can contact Cobb about a membership. He was in charge of memberships last year. If he's not this year, I'm sure he will point you in the right direction.

Post subject: Re: IDPA Mankato
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:05 am 
1911 tainted

Sixstring wrote:
smithk4 wrote:

Yes. He is talking about Key Cities. You can contact Cobb about a membership. He was in charge of memberships last year. If he's not this year, I'm sure he will point you in the right direction.

Yes, I still am doing the memberships for KCCC.

The IDPA dates for KCCC are

May 11th & 25th
June 8th & 22nd
July 13th & 27th
August 10th & 24th

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.