Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Looking for range to host big name non-MN based instructor 

Would you be interested in taking a tactical/FoF course?
Yes  67%  67%  [ 8 ]
No  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe  33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 12

Looking for range to host big name non-MN based instructor 
 Post subject: Looking for range to host big name non-MN based instructor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:51 pm 

I need some help from everyone. I am talking with what in my opinion is a big name non-MN based training company about hosting one or more training classes here in Minnesota. At this point I don't want to get anyone's hopes up as to which company should this whole thing fall thru so please give me some leeway.

First location:
I want to arrange for the course as close to the Twin Cities as possible but needless to say we are kinda short of (outdoor) range facilities here. I checked the DNR website for ranges but I can't go visit each range to go see how good/bad it is or even if it still exists.

The range needs to be big enough to allow 5 feet of lateral movement for each student. They will only come out to train us if there is a minimum of 12 people to who sign up I think this should not be a problem though. I think we might be able to run 2 strings of shooters, so we need at least a 30-35 foot wide range.
Who knows of a range which would meet these requirements and would they rent it out at a reasonable price? Please keep in mind that range rental fees will simply be added on to the course fee, so the rate they will end up paying will just be added onto your course fee. So please don't try to over price it.

A good class/meeting room would be a plus but not required. We can always rent a meeting room close to the range.

Second location:
I also want to arrange a force on force course using simunitions etc. Does anyone know an empty office building or warehouse where we could conduct the FoF training? Last resort we could do it in an open field but a more realistic setting to simulate office/bank/home would be better.
This one could be further out away from the cities.

Anyway, your help is very much appreciated. Should I be able to make this work, I will get it posted here immediately so everyone has a chance to sign up.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

Might call up Beaverbrook Gun Club. They have a nice range. I don't have the number readily available, but can probably get it. They're just north of the Ham Lake area.

For simunitions training...
The building next to the Fridley Police Department, forgot who owns it, on University Ave and Mississippi St has been used for that by the police before. Might contact the owners. Excellent type of building for that type of training with a variety of different styles of floors. You might call up fire departments and ask if there's a chance of using a couple floors of their fire towers.

I'll ask a couple people for some other suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:56 pm 

Camp Ripley has facilities that would be perfect. Back when we rented the ranges, you had to have NRA certified instructors to be the RSOs on any range you rented.

That was for LEO training. I do not know whether or not they still rent to civilians.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:31 pm 
1911 tainted

Any more thought on this?????

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Not my most favorite range in MN, but there's the option of Del-Tone/Luth range in St Cloud. For an event like this they COULD make the room.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:33 pm 

Thanks for everyone's help. I am working on Del-Tone/Luth range, no more weekends available until October though. Now working on Mon-Tue and/or Thu/Fri days.

I am amazed at how few ranges there are anymore and how fewer ranges are will to allow (commercial) tactical training around here. If only I had a money tree so I could some land and get a good range set up.

Nothing on the FOF front yet. I am still working on a good Twin City location.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.