Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:31 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Results of Defensive Handgun League - 12/14/05 
 Post subject: Results of Defensive Handgun League - 12/14/05
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:16 pm 

Rank Shooter's Handgun Tactical Score Total Name Used or Carry Earned Possible Hit
1 Gary Bibeau S&W 945 Tactical 413 420 98.3%
2 Steven Zerwas 1911 Tactical 408 420 97.1%
3 Kurt J ?? Unknown Tactical 405 420 96.4%
4 Brian Belanger S&W 340 Carry 333 350 95.1%
5 Bob Jahn Sig 229 SAS Tactical 392 420 93.3%
6 Keith Cekalla Glock 35 Tactical 387 420 92.1%
7 Dave Ziebol Sig 229 Tactical 365 420 86.9%
8 Pat Cannon 1911 Tactical 361 420 86.0%
9 Cindy Rodberg Para 16/40 Tactical 358 420 85.2%
10 Brian Thinnes Kimber 1911 Carry 297 350 84.9%
11 Brian Belanger Sig 226 40 Tactical 341 420 81.2%
12 Mike Flowers CZ 40P Tactical 336 420 80.0%
13 Chris Sample 1911 Tactical 325 420 77.4%
14 Dallas Laurents 1911 Tactical 317 420 75.5%
15 Rob Turner H&K USP 45 Tactical 308 420 73.3%

Last edited by IDPA Shooter on Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: More Info On Defensive Handgun League
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:31 pm 

Well, we had our second league night and quite a bit of snow. We had around 20 shooters, remember that some folks shoot, but chose not to post their scores.

As you can see the the time went up and so did the scores. Greg and I still need to tweak the times a little bit on some strings, but we'll keep it close as everyone got to fire almost all rounds.

Based on the turnout, considering short notice on the first one and snow on this one, we believe we have a league. With excellent support from John, yes a John now owns Bill's, and Ryan and his staff we have extended the league thru the end of March.

Upcoming leagues are 12/28, 1/11 and 1/25, 6:00pm to 8:00pm. We are finishing just after 7:00pm now so plenty of time to have a quick dinner and still show up for league.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Will the Defensive Handgun League Stay the Same?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:50 pm 

Well,in Joel's style, yes and no. Yes, it will always be about the shooters getting quality trigger time in a safe, fun atmosphere. We will continue to strive to appeal to a wide range of shooters and respond to concerns you raise.

No, it will not always be the same COF as that would get old, but yes we'll try to keep the rules simple and consistent.

Example, I was asked can we put more rounds in the gun. OK we will give you a choice of loading 5, 6 or 8 rounds in your gun and not have more than 15 strings of fire. Tactical vs carryclass is eliminated, we'll just go with the %. . Depending on what you are shooting that's 75, 90 or 120 rounds total.

What else should you look for? We can control the lights so look for low light strings, threat and non threat targets, targets that charge you or threats that retreat. We will ask you to bring your handheld tactical lights and practice one hand shooting so you can use the light, Crimson Trace and internal lasers are in, M3 and M6's and other external lights are out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:55 am 
Longtime Regular

I would like to see one of the COF include another weak hand only set. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have never even attempted this (probably due to no league or IDPA experience) untill I saw it on the first nights league COF. Then on the first league night, I ran short on time and didn't get a chance to shoot that part of the COF. So I have yet to execute this for real.

I'm not sure if range rules would allow this, but, how about a seated COF? Basically cover sitting in a Cafe, Robber enters, first shots seated in a chair, reload, rise and fire next 6.

Additionally, multiple targets? one person takes 2 lanes? then a mix of friendly and foes? This could get really interesting with on advancing and one retreating, etc. This would take more time... but on one of the COF, it may not be too bad.

I'm hoping to bring an additional shooter at the next league night, if she can make herself available - This would be really good as then my wife may tag along also, and hopefully get involved. :oops: :oops: ahhh, not really as bad as it sounds, as the "other woman" is the wifes friend who heard about the league from my wife. The other woman use to shoot leage in Germany while her hubby was stationed there. anyways....

Take care, Thanks for pulling this together - its a good time.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:10 am 

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:

I'm not sure if range rules would allow this, but, how about a seated COF? Basically cover sitting in a Cafe, Robber enters, first shots seated in a chair, reload, rise and fire next 6.

Additionally, multiple targets? one person takes 2 lanes? then a mix of friendly and foes? This could get really interesting with on advancing and one retreating, etc. This would take more time... but on one of the COF, it may not be too bad.

Mostly-

I think you have to check with Bill's as the league is simply a guest of the range.

You can run into problems on these indoor ranges. It doesn't take much to change the angle of fire. You may be at the correct firing angle while standing so you impact the back wall but if you shoot at the same target while seated the angle may change just enough that you will be shooting into the ceiling. I'm guessing that they don't want their ceiling and overhead tracks shot up anymore than they already are. The same could go for shooting multiple targets. You may be lined up perfectly with the target in your lane, but if you have to engage the target in the next lane you may be shooting into the side walls and bouncing off. (depending on how far downrange the target is) Maybe I'm wrong and Bill's doesn't care if rounds don't impact the back wall first. Might be worth it for Bob to ask. When we did IPSC and IDPA indoors we always set courses up so that all rounds impacted the back wall directly behind the targets. Some of the newer ranges allow you to shoot in three directions safely. Don't know about Bills.

Post subject: Sorry , it has to hit the Backstop at Bill's, IDPA/USPSA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:55 pm 

These are all good ideas but we have to make every attempt to hit the backstop. Keith is a highly experience safety officer in IDPA and USPSA and was our match director for two years with TCIDPA. We've already had rounds impacting the ceiling and walls as it is. We just can't do this inside with folks we have not briefed or vetted and who are shooting without a safety officer to support them and a scorer to watch their hits.

Want to engage multiple targets, shoot while moving, pull guns from a briefcase, desk drawer, empty your gun and finish the course with a J frame. How about fight your way back with your handgun, take cover and engage 5 steel poppers with a 9mm carbine you grab off a table. How about firing while laying on your back, firing a gun over your head at mutiple targets, at swinging targets, kneeling, squatting,sitting,prone,through a port and being required to engage 6 targets in tactical order. If that sounds good come to IDPA in the Spring as we did all of this last season.. Want more rounds, more gun choices and more speed and distance, that's USPSA. We'll have a class for beginners to show you the rules and discuss equipment in March sometime.

keith wrote:
mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:

Mostly-

I think you have to check with Bill's as the league is simply a guest of the range.

You can run into problems on these indoor ranges. It doesn't take much to change the angle of fire. You may be at the correct firing angle while standing so you impact the back wall but if you shoot at the same target while seated the angle may change just enough that you will be shooting into the ceiling. I'm guessing that they don't want their ceiling and overhead tracks shot up anymore than they already are. The same could go for shooting multiple targets. You may be lined up perfectly with the target in your lane, but if you have to engage the target in the next lane you may be shooting into the side walls and bouncing off. (depending on how far downrange the target is) Maybe I'm wrong and Bill's doesn't care if rounds don't impact the back wall first. Might be worth it for Bob to ask. When we did IPSC and IDPA indoors we always set courses up so that all rounds impacted the back wall directly behind the targets. Some of the newer ranges allow you to shoot in three directions safely. Don't know about Bills.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Hey I'm getting better!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:08 am 
Longtime Regular

I was exactly in the middle this time; 7 people above me & 7 below. BUT I didn't realize that there were unrecorded shooters -- I'm going to assume that they mostly didn't write down their score because they were unhappy with it, therefore they were probably worse than me and therefore I'm going to consider myself above average. :)

Thanks again, Bob, for organizing this.

And for everybody's entertainment, <a href="http://www.skypoint.com/~goon/stuff/glued_sight.jpg">here's how I made sure my front sight wasn't going to fall out of the dovetail again: Gorilla Glue.</a>

Post subject: Re: Hey I'm getting better!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:30 am 

You are welcome Pat. I'm really enjoying it and so is Greg. It is kinda like an IDPA Lite, without the set up, tear down, begging for help and the four hours on the range for 3 minutes of shooting. The hell of it is I really miss the IDPA shooting, gotta move South so I can keep shooting outdoors year round.

You are correct on the folks who don't post, some had gun troubles, some shooter problems, some had ego issues, but we all start somewhere.

While I've not seen anyone miss 10 and not write it down, I'm fine with folks posting what they want. BTW we only tripped up one person who took out the non threat, and no it was not one of the LEOs.

Pat Cannon wrote:
I was exactly in the middle this time; 7 people above me & 7 below. BUT I didn't realize that there were unrecorded shooters -- I'm going to assume that they mostly didn't write down their score because they were unhappy with it, therefore they were probably worse than me and therefore I'm going to consider myself above average. :)

Thanks again, Bob, for organizing this.

And for everybody's entertainment, <a href="http://www.skypoint.com/~goon/stuff/glued_sight.jpg">here's how I made sure my front sight wasn't going to fall out of the dovetail again: Gorilla Glue.</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:54 am 
Longtime Regular

Pat:

Just remember that one half of the people that you know are below average.

Bob:

Is there a source where an individual can get some of those practice targets that you use for the Defensive Shooting. Not the cardboard outlines but the thin paper ones......thanks

Post subject: Target Barn is my choice for Target Supplies
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:21 am 

hammAR wrote:
Pat:

Just remember that one half of the people that you know are below average.

I like targetbarn.com. They stock the paper IDPA targets we use and the USPSA ones. along with a lot of others. Not bad prices on the Glock mags, etc. We were only using the cardboard ones as I ran out of paper and Bill's supply were not in yet.

If you want to pick and choose 10 of this, 20 of that St Paul's own http://www.letargets.com/html/home.html Law Enforcement targts has a wide variety and their service is good. They also have good sales and closeouts.

Bob:

Is there a source where an individual can get some of those practice targets that you use for the Defensive Shooting. Not the cardboard outlines but the thin paper ones......thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:38 am 

Blasted snow anyway, :x Its how I afford my toys :D but it kept me from making it wed night, I figured I was ready had my practice mags and ammo all laid out on Sunday night so I wouldnt forget. Come wed night I had been up since 6 tuesday morning and still had the rest of the week to go finally got home around 6:30 fri night. Now all I have to do now is start thinking about what new toys I will be wanting. Tiss the season for toy money for me. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Will the Defensive Handgun League Stay the Same?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:38 am 

IDPA Shooter wrote:
We will ask you to bring your handheld tactical lights and practice one hand shooting so you can use the light, Crimson Trace and internal lasers are in, M3 and M6's and other external lights are out.

Does this mean that a laser/light is a requirement, and those of us that don't have them will not be able to participate, or will be at a major disadvantage?

TomK
Mpls, MN

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Tactical light and Lasers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:20 pm 

Not at all, that would defeat the purpose of the league which is to get a little timed trigger time. At the distances we are shooting the laser gives folks little advantage over sights.

As to the handheld tactical lights I just want to give folks that have them a chance to use their handheld lights so they can try the different techiques. We will be shooting in low light, not no light. If even one person our your side has the tact light they will be lighting up the range. Besides we can see who is the flashlight king, it ain't me, I only own 3. I have a buddy that does not feel properly dressed without one on him and at least two others with him. He refuses to say how many he owns, but I bought one of his 3 Surefire Aviator lights as he decided to part with the red LED one.

I do want to avoid taking lights on and off the gun itself during the matches, thus no M3 or M6, etc.

W0THK wrote:
IDPA Shooter wrote:
We will ask you to bring your handheld tactical lights and practice one hand shooting so you can use the light, Crimson Trace and internal lasers are in, M3 and M6's and other external lights are out.

Does this mean that a laser/light is a requirement, and those of us that don't have them will not be able to participate, or will be at a major disadvantage?

TomK
Mpls, MN

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tactical light and Lasers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:29 pm 

IDPA Shooter wrote:
Not at all, that would defeat the purpose of the league which is to get a little timed trigger time. At the distances we are shooting the laser gives folks little advantage over sights.

That's good to know. Thanks! I'm looking forward to the 28th!

Another off-the-wall question: The initial post mentioned that center-fire guns are required. Is there any chance there could be a rim-fire edition? I'd love to try this with my new Sig Mosquito .22!

TomK

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tactical Lights, Lasers and .22's
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:52 pm 

Bill's in Robbinsdale already has a .22 league and I saw folks shooting in a .22 league at the North location. I think I want to stay with the centerfire rules for score purposes. If you want to shoot it not for score that's fine.

W0THK wrote:
IDPA Shooter wrote:

That's good to know. Thanks! I'm looking forward to the 28th!

Another off-the-wall question: The initial post mentioned that center-fire guns are required. Is there any chance there could be a rim-fire edition? I'd love to try this with my new Sig Mosquito .22!

TomK

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.