Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:41 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 CMP Sales, looking for Advice 
 Post subject: CMP Sales, looking for Advice
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:28 pm 

I think I recall someone on here having experience with CMP sales, I am looking to pick up an M1 (in stock) but would like to ask a question or two to make sure I'm not messing up too bad. I think I had a PM from you, but my PM abilities are disabled (board disabled?)

Please reply and/or contact me through email.

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

There is a CMP forum which is very active. I'd check that. Everyone is usually happy with CMP. I bought an M1, rack grade; it shoots better than I can. The ammo is a good deal too.

You won't get stuck with a bad gun, they'll exchange it if you are not happy. It's a hassel to do the paperwork, you have to prove citizenship (birth certificate) and belong to a shooting club that is affiliated with CMP.

Google the Mauser Shooting Association, membership is free for life. They'll mail you a certificate.

Pretty simple, actually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:51 pm 

I'm US Army, so I don't have to worry about the whole pesky club thing :wink:

They have Service Grade and Field grade, just wondering if it's worth another $100 to get a Service Grade over a Field Grade...

Got a web address for the CMP Forum? (cmpforum.com?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:34 am 
Longtime Regular

EricMN wrote:
They have Service Grade and Field grade, just wondering if it's worth another $100 to get a Service Grade over a Field Grade...

Yes - do it. The CMP is very fair about their grading. It would cost you well over $100 to try and turn a Field grade into a Service grade.

You'll never regret it. They aren't making anymore and the supply is drying up fast.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've bought 5 rifles from the CMP and have been extremely pleased with each one. I have three M1 Garands, an M1903 and an M1903A3. I consider each of them to be great investments, but I'd never sell one.

I'd definitely spend the extra money for the Service Grade. All mine were service grade. At the very worst, you'll get a rifle worth every penny you paid for it.

Here's my first M1 Garand:
More pictures here: http://www.pbase.com/lehnherr/us_rifle_caliber_30_m1

The other two are still in the box. I bought one for each of my two boys (5 and 9 years old) and I think I'll leave them coated in cosmoline until they can shoot them. This way they get (have) to remove it and be part of the process of cleaning up their piece of US military history.

Here's my M1903 before being cleaned:
More pictures here:http://www.pbase.com/lehnherr/m1903

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:54 pm 

Thanks guys! I am waiting on some money to clear the bank, but as soon as I do, I am ordering an M1 plus some ammo. I appreciate all the advice!

(also, any advice or pointers on where to go to learn how to clean it would be greatly appreciated, I only know the M16 series and my USP)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:23 am 
Longtime Regular

EricMN wrote:
Thanks guys! I am waiting on some money to clear the bank, but as soon as I do, I am ordering an M1 plus some ammo. I appreciate all the advice!

(also, any advice or pointers on where to go to learn how to clean it would be greatly appreciated, I only know the M16 series and my USP)

Check out the Surplus Rifle site:
http://surplusrifle.com/garand/index.asp

They have some great PDF files you can download to go step by step in the disassembly and reassembly of your rifle. They have a video as well.

When I get some more time I'll try to post some links to discussion of the removal of the cosmoline (if there is any...my first rifle did not have any). What I do is strip the rifles down as much as I can, use acetone to wipe down the wood, poor boiling water down the barrel, then boil all the small metal parts on the stove. The boiling water heats up metal enough that they dry extremely quickly and rust is not an issue. Lately I've also experimented with using a steamer to steam the cosmoline out of the stock. That appears to work well without damaging the wood. Another trick is to wrap the wood in paper towels or newspaper, then wrap that in a black garbage back and leave it out in the sun or on your dashboard on a hot sunny day.

I then oil and grease everything up and reassemble.

So far I have not disassembled the bolt assembly or the trigger group.

Hopefully you wont' have to deal with the cosmo. It's a PIA to get completely out of the wood, if not impossible. My M1903 was soaked in cosmo and after about 300 rounds it's still weeping out of the stock every time I shoot it, due to the heat of the barrel.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

www.odcmp.com

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.