Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:00 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Judge: Man might have been better off pulling trigger at sch 
 Post subject: Judge: Man might have been better off pulling trigger at sch
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Proving beyond doubt the utter stupidity in "GUN FREE ZONES". :roll:
Quote:
http://tennessean.com/article/200905...gger+at+school

By Mitchell Kline • The Tennessean • May 21, 2009
Judge: Man might have been better off pulling trigger at school
FRANKLIN — A Williamson County judge sentenced a Fairview man to 20 days in jail for handling a gun on school property -- and said the man might have been better off if he’d pulled the trigger.

On Thursday, Tracy C. Clark, 37, told Circuit Court Judge James G. Martin III, that he’d gotten into a verbal altercation at Westwood Elementary School on Jan. 30, 2006 after his 9-year-old son’s basketball game. Clark said the father of rival player came to his truck and held a knife as if threatening to stab him.

Clark, who had a handgun carry permit, said he told the man he had a gun and pulled a 9 mm handgun from the center console of his pickup truck and put it on the driver’s seat. The gun was not loaded and never left its holster, according to Clark.

“I never brandished it,” Clark said. “I never showed it. I did not know what the best thing to do was.”

Martin said under state law regulating weapons on school property, Clark might have avoided a conviction if he had actually pointed the gun or used it because that would have demonstrated self-defense.

“There’s no question he was in a situation where a man pulled a knife on him,” Martin said. “It’s an extremely unusual statute… in the defense side of it. While it’s illegal to possess a firearm (on school grounds) it’s OK if you use it to defend yourself.”

The law states that it is legal for an adult to bring a weapon to a school campus as long as it is kept in a vehicle and not handled. Martin said Clark admittedly handled the gun.

Martin said he hopes his sentence sends a message that “if you carry a firearm on school property you are going to spend some time in jail.”

Martin found Clark guilty of possession of a weapon on school property, a class B misdemeanor. The judge sentenced Clark to 20 days in jail and six months of probation, ordered him to take anger management classes and said he cannot possess or handle a firearm.

“It’s ironic that, under the statute, if he’d have pointed it at him things would be different,” Martin said. “By his own testimony he didn’t display it or use it in self-defense.”

In 2006, Circuit Court Judge Timothy Easter dismissed the charge against Clark, ruling he acted in self-defense. Last year, the state’s Court of Appeals ruled that Easter erred in dismissing the charge and remanded the case for reinstatement of the indictment.

Assistant District Attorney Chris Vernon said he’d originally offered Clark the chance to plead guilty and serve one year of probation.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject: Re: Judge: Man might have been better off pulling trigger at
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hunter07 wrote:
Proving beyond doubt the utter stupidity in "GUN FREE ZONES". :roll:
Quote:
http://tennessean.com/article/200905...gger+at+school

By Mitchell Kline • The Tennessean • May 21, 2009
Judge: Man might have been better off pulling trigger at school
FRANKLIN — A Williamson County judge sentenced a Fairview man to 20 days in jail for handling a gun on school property -- and said the man might have been better off if he’d pulled the trigger.

On Thursday, Tracy C. Clark, 37, told Circuit Court Judge James G. Martin III, that he’d gotten into a verbal altercation at Westwood Elementary School on Jan. 30, 2006 after his 9-year-old son’s basketball game. Clark said the father of rival player came to his truck and held a knife as if threatening to stab him.

Clark, who had a handgun carry permit, said he told the man he had a gun and pulled a 9 mm handgun from the center console of his pickup truck and put it on the driver’s seat. The gun was not loaded and never left its holster, according to Clark.

“I never brandished it,” Clark said. “I never showed it. I did not know what the best thing to do was.”

Martin said under state law regulating weapons on school property, Clark might have avoided a conviction if he had actually pointed the gun or used it because that would have demonstrated self-defense.

“There’s no question he was in a situation where a man pulled a knife on him,” Martin said. “It’s an extremely unusual statute… in the defense side of it. While it’s illegal to possess a firearm (on school grounds) it’s OK if you use it to defend yourself.”

The law states that it is legal for an adult to bring a weapon to a school campus as long as it is kept in a vehicle and not handled. Martin said Clark admittedly handled the gun.

Martin said he hopes his sentence sends a message that “if you carry a firearm on school property you are going to spend some time in jail.”

Martin found Clark guilty of possession of a weapon on school property, a class B misdemeanor. The judge sentenced Clark to 20 days in jail and six months of probation, ordered him to take anger management classes and said he cannot possess or handle a firearm.

“It’s ironic that, under the statute, if he’d have pointed it at him things would be different,” Martin said. “By his own testimony he didn’t display it or use it in self-defense.”

In 2006, Circuit Court Judge Timothy Easter dismissed the charge against Clark, ruling he acted in self-defense. Last year, the state’s Court of Appeals ruled that Easter erred in dismissing the charge and remanded the case for reinstatement of the indictment.

Assistant District Attorney Chris Vernon said he’d originally offered Clark the chance to plead guilty and serve one year of probation.

:shock: No shit!

Never mind that this was about as good of a DGU as it gets! He showed it, and I'm guessing that the person threatening him with a knife stopped doing so. :evil:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:04 pm 
Wise Elder

Insanity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:55 pm 

It bothers me that a judge wants to "send a message" in his rulings. How about just the Law, Judge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:20 am 

boggles the mind, this sounds like a load of BS and hope he appeals it. anyways how can an appeals court say that dismissed charges were wrong? isnt this sort of double jeapordy? and now what he goes to the appeals court, and gets a new jusdge who says ok, it was self defense, what happens then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:38 am 

Good to see that Tennesse has it's share of idiots in it's government. Let's just hope that Judge Martin III doesn't create a IV, their gene pool has been greatly over used! Once again common sense has been shown to be not so common in todays world.
Hollywood couldn't write this stuff!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:48 pm 

"“It’s ironic that, under the statute, if he’d have pointed it at him things would be different,” Martin said. “By his own testimony he didn’t display it or use it in self-defense.” "

What's ironic is that he incriminated himself... Hopefully his lawyer didn't let this happen while he was on the clock.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:01 pm 

this is where the carry laws always gets to me, they make it almost impossible for you to defend yourself without getting in trouble for doing so. in this case the guy pretty much did defend himself wether he pointed the gun at the guy or he just showed it eather way he stopped any harm from happening to himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:53 pm 

Yes the judge is an idiot, that said, anyone here on foot with a knife care to mess with me while I am seated in my truck? (This is a rhetorical question, not a challenge)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:29 am 
Journeyman Member

So the judge bars him from handling or possessing firearms for a misdemeanor. How is that not Unconstitutional? Thought only felons were prohibited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:36 pm 

So what did the guy with the knife get?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.