Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:11 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Pistol-packin’ soccer mama brings on heat 
 Post subject: Pistol-packin’ soccer mama brings on heat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, this didn't happen in MN, but somehow, I could see it happening here.
Quote:
Pistol-packin’ soccer mama brings on heat
By JOHN LATIMER
Staff Writer
Lebanon Daily News

Meleanie Hain wears her loaded Glock 26 on her hip when she attends her 5-year-old daughter s soccer practices and games at Optimist Park. It s not that she s expecting trouble, Hain explains; she carries the weapon everywhere. (Jim Zengerle / Lebanon Daily News)
What’s the difference between a bulldog and a soccer mom?

In the case of Meleanie Hain, it’s a loaded sidearm.

On Sept. 11, Hain created a stir among other parents when she wore her weapon — a loaded Glock 26, about the size of an adult hand — in a holster to her 5-year-old daughter’s soccer game at Optimist Park in Lebanon, also known as Southwest Park.

Although she did not break a law by carrying the weapon openly, she is now facing the loss of her concealed-weapons permit. But she is not giving up without a fight.

“I’m just a soccer mom who has always openly carried (a firearm), and I’ve never had a problem before,” she said. “I don’t understand why this is happening to me.”

Parents were upset by the presence of the weapon at the game being played by 4- and 5-year-olds, said Charlie Jones, who coaches one of three under-age-6 teams, known as U6, in the Lebanon Recreation Youth Soccer program.

“More than one parent was upset,” he said. “I did not see it, but it was brought to my attention.”

Jones, who is also the county’s public defender, said he wasn’t certain if Hain was breaking the law by wearing the gun, so he did not ask her to remove it. However, he explained to her that its presence was making parents upset and asked her to view the game from the other side of the field, away from the sideline were the kids were standing. She complied but continued to wear her holstered weapon, he said.

There was no confrontation, and police were not called to the park, Jones said.

Hain’s version of events is roughly the same as Jones’. However, she claims he raised his voice and talked over her when they spoke after the game. He denies that.

“His basic message to me was that if I was not carrying it because I was concerned about the other parents, then I should leave it off the field and keep it in the car,” she said.

Hain, who lives in Lebanon and operates a small business she declined to specify, said she carries her gun everywhere as a security measure and had worn it to her daughter’s other games and practices, but it was never noticed.

Hain was not breaking the law by wearing a holstered weapon, claimed her attorney, Robert Magee of Allentown.

“The state has a law requiring a license to carry a concealed firearm, but it does not require a license to openly carry one. ... Carrying a firearm openly is legal everywhere but in Philadelphia,” he said.

The end of the game was not the end of the incident for Hain. In the days following, she received two notices about her decision to wear a firearm at the game.

The first came from the Lebanon soccer-program director, Nigel Foundling, who had been contacted by Jones.

A former district judge from Jonestown, Foundling sent an e-mail to Hain the day after the incident advising her that carrying firearms was against the program’s policy. Foundling told Hain any future attempts to do so would cause her to be banned from attending her daughter’s games. He also said he would inform police about the matter.

“A responsible adult would realize that such behavior has no place at a soccer game,” Foundling wrote.

The e-mail and other information about the incident were provided to the Lebanon Daily News with Hain’s permission by Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of the OpenCarry.org — an organization promoting the right to wear firearms openly.

Hain said Foundling had no right to prevent her from openly carrying her gun, and she has not abided by his orders.

“After I received the e-mail, I continued to carry,” she said. “Because they play on public property, they are not allowed to prevent me from carrying even though they are a private organization. ... Nigel seems to think he could throw his weight around and pick on me even though he is not a judge anymore.”

Foundling was unavailable for comment.

A few days after receiving Foundling’s e-mail, Hain received a letter from county Sheriff Mike DeLeo, the local authority in charge of issuing gun licenses. A parent of another child contacted him about Hain.

In response, DeLeo revoked her concealed-weapons permit under a statute of the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act that denies permits to any “individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a dangerous manner to public safety.”

Although DeLeo has never met Hain and does not know her, he based his decision on what he considered a lack of judgment in bringing an openly worn weapon to a youth soccer match.

“That is my personal opinion,” he said. “I believe that, and that is why I revoked her permit. She has the right to pursue an appeal, and if the court rules that I was not justified I will be required to give her permit back.”

Magee said he is preparing to file an appeal.

“There is a provision of the Pennsylvania Constitution that specifically prohibits any government agency from interfering with the right of an individual to openly carry a firearm,” he said. “He’s basically punishing her for doing something she is permitted by law to do.”

DeLeo said he was well aware of the irony that his revocation of Hain’s permit to conceal a weapon will actually force her to wear it openly if she chooses to carry her firearm. He said he wanted to bring the matter to the public’s attention, but he did not have the right to take away her gun, so revoking the permit was his only option.

“I felt some action was needed, and I do believe that something like this should be brought to the public’s attention so the public is aware of what took place,” he said. “The public has the right to complain about the issue, and if the Legislature wants to do something, then so be it.”
http://www.ldnews.com/lebanonnews/ci_10545914

Here is a video, if anyone is interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

I wonder how some of the parents around here would react if they found out their child's coach was carrying, albeit concealed.

This story pisses me off on several levels, but the biggest one is how the sheriff decides that doing something LEGAL makes her likely to be dangerous. Then he admits it's only his opinion, and that revoking her permit forces her to carry open! What an idiot.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Happened on 9/11 how ironic is THAT? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:55 am 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:
I wonder how some of the parents around here would react if they found out their child's coach was carrying, albeit concealed.

I'm not a parent and I'd like to keep it that way for a while, but I think I'd probably say something to the effect of "thank you" if it was my kid.

I used to work as an EMT at the National Sports Center during the USA Cup and some of the smaller tournaments. I did that for about 4 years. Dear lord, some of those games could get violent. Parents sometimes ended up in fist fights, at one point an entire soccer team jumped a referee, and players getting into it was commonplace. I was told one day to park and wait near a particular field because they believed the parents were going to become physically violent with each other and they wanted medical nearby once the fighting was stopped. They had to stop the game and move the parents of different teams to opposite sides of the field, and they weren't sure that was going to be enough to keep them apart. All over children's soccer games. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:07 am 
Poet Laureate

I've been following this story pretty carefully. It's one of the main things going on right now over at http://www.opencarry.org

If I was in PA (or if it happened here), I would be enjoying the next fine children's soccer game in person, OCing, standing by and chatting with my new friend as she supervises her child. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:11 am 

Wonder if any other parents are actually in favor of this woman carrying at the games, and if so, are they standing up for her? I certainly would...heck, I would carry openly right next to her.

I hope she appeals and wins. Shame on that sheriff for taking her license away without even so much as talking to her first.

AGoodDay wrote:
I used to work as an EMT at the National Sports Center during the USA Cup

I used to live in a townhome over there, just north of the fields. We always dreaded those tournaments, as the traffic and pedestrian levels were unbelievable. Watching the games was fun though! (...and I always carried!) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:33 am 
Longtime Regular

I wouldn't have thought I'd say this. When I was in PA, I liked that permits were cheap, didn't require classes, or much time. $20 and 20 mins. My PA permit expires in a couple of days, so it hasn't been that long ago that I was a resident. . . . anyway, I never thought I'd say I am glad for the MN law, the requirement for a class and the cost. I think those things and especially the hard work and networking among trainers, makes the carry community here much stronger. In terms of political lobby I think the MN law creates a solidarity. In hindsight, PA's permit system is something you can squeeze in among other errands and forget about . . . I think it actually weakens their carry community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:50 am 
Longtime Regular

There is no shortage of assholes in that article. I hope she prevails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:30 am 

Wouldn't it be wonderful to see others come join her on the side lines open carrying. Think about it first one person comes, then awhile later another one and by the end of the game there are 30 people with guns standing there watching the game with this lady. That would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:46 pm 

http://deadspin.com/5054906/its-melanie ... says-it-is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:01 pm 
Journeyman Member

DevoBill wrote:
http://deadspin.com/5054906/its-melanie-hains-turn-to-bring-the-team-snacks-when-she-says-it-is

Yeah, she's real menacing to society and it looks like she exercised poor judgment in having her side arm holstered, complete with full trigger guard, hand off weapon, and standing quietly on the side lines not looking like a crazed parent.... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

My P3AT fits perfectly into my Adidas coaches shorts right front pocket. My roster and pen go in the weak side pocket.

My players parents are none the wiser, but they'd likely not be surprised if they found out...

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:58 am 
Longtime Regular

Whoa! I wouldn't mess with her if she didn't have a gun!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:04 am 
Longtime Regular

Screw them! I’m glad she is going to fight this. ““A responsible adult would realize that such behavior has no place at a soccer game,” Foundling wrote.” Seems to me “soccer games” are some of the most violent sporting events on the planet. Not those of 5 year olds of course but, hey wait a minute; I’ve seen how some of those parents can act at kids games. Maybe I will include those games too.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pistol-packin’ soccer mama brings on heat
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:22 am 
Longtime Regular

JimC, please forgive me for bringing this old thread back to life.....

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2009/10/gun-toting_soccer_mom_is_shot.html

Quote:
Gun-toting soccer mom is shot dead
By Steve Farley
October 08, 2009, 12:00AM

Meleanie Hain, the pistol-carrying Lebanon mom who received national attention for taking a loaded gun to her daughter’s soccer game, was shot to death Wednesday night with her husband in an apparent murder-suicide, police said.

Hain, 31, and her husband, Scott, 33, were pronounced dead by Lebanon County Coroner Dr. Jeffrey Yocum shortly after 8:30 p.m. at their home at Second Avenue and East Grant Street, police said.

The couple’s three children were home at the time and were not injured, and are staying with relatives and friends, police said.

Autopsies were scheduled for Thursday, police said. No other details were available at press time.

Neighbor Mark Long said Meleanie baby-sat his 3-year-old son and that she and Scott had been having marital problems for the last week. Scott left on Tuesday and Meleanie did not know where he went, but he came back Wednesday, Long said.

Meleanie Hain was thrust into the national spotlight when she took a gun, in plain view and holstered on her hip, to a soccer game Sept. 11, 2008, at Optimist Park in Lebanon.

Her permit to carry a gun was revoked by Lebanon County Sheriff Michael DeLeo on Sept. 20, 2008. DeLeo said Hain showed poor judgment in wearing her gun to the game.

Hain’s permit was reinstated by Lebanon County Judge Robert Eby on Oct. 14, 2008, but the judge asked her to conceal it when she goes to soccer games. Hain said she would continue to carry it openly under the Second Amendment.

Hain then filed a lawsuit against DeLeo for $1 million in U.S. Middle District Court seeking reimbursement of attorneys’ fees and costs, emotional distress and lost wages.

"She has been stigmatized unfairly," her attorney, Matthew Weisberg said at the time.

The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence then offered to defend DeLeo for free.

Daniel Vice, a senior attorney for the Brady Center, said at the time: "It is a case that calls out for common sense. ... It’s ridiculous to bring a gun to a child’s soccer game."

A hearing on Hain’s suit was postponed in May after one of the attorneys in the case was involved in an auto accident.

In an interview with The Patriot-News published Dec. 27, Hain said: "I am happy being a gun owner."

She said she had no intention of changing her views on gun ownership and noted her critics had no intention of changing theirs.

She acknowledged the publicity had detrimentally affected her life. "I have read all sorts of slander, personal attacks, and even threats toward me, my family, and, yes, some specific to my children," she said in the interview.

"The publicity surrounding me as a person makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable. As stated previously, I am willing to talk to the press because the issue is so important, but the focus on me, personally, has been difficult because it simply is not about me," she said.

About the decision to sue DeLeo, Hain said she did it because she was wronged

"Just the fact that he was wrong is evidenced by the fact that my license was restored to me. ... I am a victim of Sheriff Michael DeLeo’s. I am a victim of those in society as a direct result of his actions as well. The way people look at me sometimes when I am out running errands, I feel as if I am wearing a scarlet letter, and really it’s a Glock 26."

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.