Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:37 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 How Secure Are We? 
 Post subject: How Secure Are We?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:45 am 
Longtime Regular

I have often wondered what would happen if the Dems were to win big in 06 or 08 how hard would it be for them to repeal MMPA? Are we just one judicial or governors signiture away from loosing it? Or are they afraid of it?

We've lost it twice now, (the first time before we were born.) Can it happen again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Nothing is safe when the legislature is in session. I also fear that they may try to pass an "assault weapons" ban. Never trust someone else with your rights.

Post subject: Re: How Secure Are We?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:36 am 
The Man

gunflint wrote:
I have often wondered what would happen if the Dems were to win big in 06 or 08 how hard would it be for them to repeal MMPA? Are we just one judicial or governors signiture away from loosing it? Or are they afraid of it?

We've lost it twice now, (the first time before we were born.) Can it happen again?

Yes, it can. No, it's unlikely to.

Right now, we have all three legs of the tripod, although they're a bit shaky. We have a pro-carry governor, and a pro-carry majority in state House, and state Senate.

In order to repeal the law, the antis need all three. They may -- but probably won't -- get all three this fall. That's the good news.

The bad news is that, IMHO, they are just this side of certain to get at least one leg of that tripod. (I'd put it 95% that they get one, and better than 50% that they get two.)

If they get the governer's office or the state Senate, we're blocked -- we can make no improvements to the PPA until 2011, at the earliest. If they get only the House, we can make no improvements until 2009, at the earliest.

Similarly, if we retain one of the three, they can not repeal until, at least 2009, at the earliest.

In the meantime, we need to make what administrative improvements we can -- one well-known advocate has promised to work with the governor's office to try to get out-of-state permits accepted as per the intention of the PPA, rather than as has been implemented.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:15 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

There is some good news. Becky Lourey, who is running for the DFL endorsement for governor, voted for the PPA this time around, I believe partially on the fact that the sky didn't fall in. Hopefully, she'll continue to support it if Pawlenty loses to her, which he hopefully will not do.

Also, two of the most hysterical anti-gun Senators, Jane Ranum and Wes Skoglund, are not running for reelection, so we don't have to listen to them anymore. (Remember the body armor?). Happily, this means Joel doesn't have to peep into his window anymore :P

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How Secure Are We?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

gunflint wrote:
. . . We've lost it twice now, (the first time before we were born.) Can it happen again?

I was under the impression that we actually lost it in the mid-'70s, though maybe I'm wrong. Before that, as I understand it, our laws were something like Vermont's -- that is, you could carry if you were otherwise legal.

And some of us were born before that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.