Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:48 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Clerk opens fire on robber 
 Post subject: Clerk opens fire on robber
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://y.wimp.com/file/c50d643f13585ca3 ... ershot.wmv

Wow - this guy gets off a bunch of shots and did a great job of concealing that he was drawing his weapon.

Now, why did mom just stand there at the counter in front of the till smiling while it was going down and not get the hell out of the way?

Clerk maybe cut it a little close with mom and his zone of fire.

Wonder what the whole story is?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

I bet some ears were ringing after the adrenaline wore off...

+1 on cutting it close

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Actually, the guy that did the shooting is a member of glocktalk, and posted about it there. The camera angle is poor, but both he and mom said that he had a lot of room to fire and they were not close to the path of the bullets at all. The clerk fired three times, all good center mass shots with a Glock 27. Two rounds went through. (You can apparently see them striking the door and window, but I haven't looked) The guy survived but was apparently in critical condition at the hospital. Police didn't even arrest the clerk. It was considered justified and he went on his way. I'll try to find a link to the thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Got it. That was easier than I expected.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=512797

Post subject: Re: Clerk opens fire on robber
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Now, why did mom just stand there at the counter in front of the till smiling while it was going down and not get the hell out of the way?
Looked like it happened pretty quick and most likely she froze up. It can happen to anyone in a lot of situations.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:51 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

I'm not going to trash this guy, but one thing (other then the lady standing there) is, why did he fire at the guy running away? I would love to do that exactly the way he did it. But, I don't think it would have turned out as nicely for the shooter if he were in MN.

Who robs a Super 8?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:04 pm 
The Man

Pakrat wrote:
I'm not going to trash this guy, but one thing (other then the lady standing there) is, why did he fire at the guy running away? I would love to do that exactly the way he did it. But, I don't think it would have turned out as nicely for the shooter if he were in MN.
?
Why? Because he'd clicked on, and didn't click off -- blood flow changed in the brain, adrenaline way up, etc. As Dr. Rudd will tell you, people can keep 5-9 things in their mind when not under stress -- he was probably down to about two or three, and the four requirements for the use of lethal force didn't make the cut.

In MN, he'd have been guilty of something -- the video makes it clear that he was shooting at a fleeing man, and there's no indication that the robber was moving to resume the attack from either the door or outside. The prosecutor might have declined to prosecute -- although Amy Klobuchar's office would have tried to stick it to him, if it happened in HennCo.

The video could easily have sunk him.

In practice, it could go either way here, assuming that he was smart enough to shut up and lawyer up. Maybe, from his POV, it looked like the robber was moving to a better position to continue the fight. Maybe he heard something that doesn't show on the video -- a cry of "I'm going to kill you," say. Maybe the prosecutor could be made to worry about jury nullification. Maybe . . .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:17 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

The mother was likely shocked that was happening - thus no immediate reaction - happens - like standing there not believing your eyes.

As for the shoot - I was not there and do not know all of the particulars of the incident - after reading a lot of the comments - apparently this perp was armed and was shooting on his way out? I dont know - I would have to assume that he was pointing a gun at them on the way out - this guy wass apparently not charged with anything - I think this would be consistent with the story.

This is MY OPINION

I would have done the SAME thing - if he was pointing a gun at me - coming or going - this clerk used great tactics to conceal his draw - great thinking.

That happened really quickly as all armed encounters do - he shot apparently well enough - perhaps saving the lives of innocnets (himself first - then the mom and child and the other clerk)

What if this guy did fire a couple of parting shots - he had ability - motivation and intent - this clerk did the right thing and I am GLAD that he was spared the wrath of the justice system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

So a quesiton.....

He seemed to utilize his co-worker as a shield and barrier, so what would have happened if by his shooting at the BG, the BG returned fire and shot the co-workerand the co-worker died? I would think that it would at a minimum be a very big suit on endangerment up through nelegent manslaughter, based on the film as evidence and his actions recorded therein.....?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:33 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

He was not using her like a meat shield.

Come on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

hammAR wrote:
So a quesiton.....

He seemed to utilize his co-worker as a shield and barrier, so what would have happened if by his shooting at the BG, the BG returned fire and shot the co-workerand the co-worker died? I would think that it would at a minimum be a very big suit on endangerment up through nelegent manslaughter, based on the film as evidence and his actions recorded therein.....?

Hmm. My opinion, he wasn't using her as a body-bunker. He was using her temporarily to gain a tactical advantage. Her purpose was to block the attackers line of sight, not the attackers fire. He moved out from behind his coworker when it was time to present the gun. I think that she could bring up a suit, and depending on the leaning of the jury it's possible for it to go somewhere, but I doubt it. I would think that problems would come into play when you use a person that's trying to retreat as an unwilling body bunker.

For another part, partly, the attacker didn't initially have the gun pointed if I understand correctly. When the clerk presented his gun and issued commands, the attacker pointed his gun at the clerk. The defender ducked behind the counter when that happened. The gun pointed was probably his mental go button to start firing, and that switch to not firing can be kinda hard to flip if your expectations aren't met.

My opinion, I wouldn't want to have done quite the same thing. Whether I actually would or not is a different story. Up until the gun was pointed looks good, but I would have liked to see him shooting the attacker the moment the attacker raised his gun, rather than wasting time ducking. As for the shot while he was running, they were fast. I might have snapped a few off too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

I can't get the video -- server error. Did someone download it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:57 pm 

Try this
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=512797

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ah. Leads to this link:

http://media.putfile.com/How-To-Make-Swiss-Cheese80

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:02 pm 

Pakrat wrote:

Who robs a Super 8?

I've found that it is a LOT easier to START shooting than it is to STOP.

YMMV

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.