Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:15 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Who's built an AR? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:25 pm 
Journeyman Member

Finished up this build last week. Haven't been to the range yet as I'm still waiting for a cleaning kit so I can shoot-in the barrel properly.

Assembly was a snap and it was pretty fun to "build" a rifle. The only extra tool I bought was a barrel nut wrench. 80 ft/lbs is a lot of torque! The only out of the ordinary work was a little filing on the feed ramps to get the barrel extension and upper receiver to match up perfectly. Ended up with a flat top upper, collapsible stock, fold down sights, 16” barrel and some nice hand guards. Branch Custom (North Branch, MN) machines a very nice lower receiver.

I got some of the smaller pieces (sights, gas block, etc.) on ebay but most of the other parts came from various internet sellers. Pat at Cellette's Guns Inc. (a local guy) provided the lower, barrel and bolt carrier group as well as a lot of good advice.

Build price was under $900 :shock: but I had a lot of fun sourcing all the parts as well as the mechanics of putting it all together. A good time was had by all.

Post subject: Might want to check.
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:27 pm 

From the sounds of it you mounted your own barrel. You might want to check the torque spec, about retightening. Also did you measure your headspace to insure it within spec?

Just want you to be safe, those are the two things that can casue some trouble if not done properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:43 pm 

You can't build an AR-15 without posting some pics. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:34 pm 
Journeyman Member

This thread is worthless without pics.

I'm just sayin'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:18 am 
Longtime Regular

G27 wrote:
Thats funny I have also had my DPMS since Nov and ordered my Del-Ton kit on Dec 5th. Still in the waiting line for that to arrive.

I received an email from Del-Ton yesterday, they are now starting on December orders.... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:53 am 
Longtime Regular

ironbear wrote:
G27 wrote:
Thats funny I have also had my DPMS since Nov and ordered my Del-Ton kit on Dec 5th. Still in the waiting line for that to arrive.

I received an email from Del-Ton yesterday, they are now starting on December orders.... :shock:

I wish they'd get around to my NOVEMBER order :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:47 am 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi wrote:
ironbear wrote:
G27 wrote:

I wish they'd get around to my NOVEMBER order :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Crud! And I was getting hopeful about my December order!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:50 am 

Wonder why I'm not getting any email from Del-Ton?

I think my kit is getting really close. I also see that they are nearing the December orders. Hopefully it will come soon. I keep checking my credit card to see if they charged anything yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:57 am 
Journeyman Member

Pictures are not the best but at least the thread isn't worthless anymore. There are plenty of parts out there. Quit waiting and start building.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:02 am 
Poet Laureate

Nice.
Out of curiosity, since it was your own build from scratch, why did you decide to go with that awful plastic handguard instead of a free float tube? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:32 pm 
Journeyman Member

Carbide Insert wrote:
Nice.
Out of curiosity, since it was your own build from scratch, why did you decide to go with that awful plastic handguard instead of a free float tube? :?

Cost ($30 vs. $300) and I like the look.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.