Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Who's built an AR? 
 Post subject: Who's built an AR?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:58 pm 
Journeyman Member

I'm would like to build an AR but I want to talk with some local folks who already have and might have some pointers. Are there any "I built an AR" groups that meet in the TC's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:24 pm 
Journeyman Member

Ive had my DPMS lower since the end of November, ordered an upper kit from Del-Ton on Dec 4th, but the wait time will still be another few months for me :cry:

So no, I haven't built it yet, but am trying.

Post subject: Just finishing my first
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:25 pm 

I'm just finishing up my first and hopefully not last AR.

I did have the barrel mounted for me but other than that it is really a matter of basic assembly.

Drop me a PM and we can chat, I'm on the westside of the cities by St Michael if you want to get a cup of coffee and chat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:41 pm 

Vfrdirk and I built our own. We used pre-assembled Bushmaster kits. Those kits were assembled upper receivers (headspaced and test fired), the lower parts kit and buttstock.

Lowers were purchased from out of state and transferred locally.

We used the U.S Marine Corps Technical Manual (TM 05538C-23&P/2) Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Corps-5-56 ... 1601700229 though perhaps better prices to be found elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Is a AR a full automatic ?

Post subject: Nope
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:58 pm 

There are semi-auto in the configuration we're talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:00 pm 

JimC wrote:
Is a AR a full automatic ?

It depends on what you build it with. (full auto would require an auto sear and a few other goodies)
I assume MP9 is looking to build a semi-auto AR-15, not a full-auto M16.

http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/AR15-M16Parts/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:07 am 

I've done a couple lower receivers and those are defintely a piece of cake. Haven't done an upper yet... mounting the barrel and headspacing is what would concern me - though I've heard it's not difficult.

MADFI Certified Instructor (#60)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:32 am 
Longtime Regular

I built-out 4 lowers and purchased a 5th built by cmmg. - The lowers were a snap to do. the uppers are too involved for me so Ill buy those in the future. The lowers are what is considered "the gun" and must be purchased through your local FFL. The uppers are 'parts' and can be purchased online etc... and shipped to your house. Here is a build-it link: http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:25 am 

I'm re-building a DPMS right now, I bought it with an A2 upper and I'm swapping it for an LMT flattop upper with M4 feedramps. Should be a simple job, but it's new territory for me.

I've got an upper and parts for another gun on the way from Del-Ton...I'm #26604 and last time I checked they were working on the 23000's.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:26 am 

Nords,

Thats funny I have also had my DPMS since Nov and ordered my Del-Ton kit on Dec 5th. Still in the waiting line for that to arrive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:48 am 

So.. people doing swaps or new builds

How are you checking headspace? Or are you even worried about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:20 pm 

I'm doing a build. The upper comes complete and headspaced so I don't have to worry about that. Just assemble the stripped lower with the lower parts kit and add the stock and pistol grip and you should be good to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:21 pm 

You picked a pretty rough time to get started. Parts are hard to come by and many people who have them will gouge you. It’s not a bad idea to try and find a complete lower. That way it’s probably good to go even if the evil black rife gets some kinda ban. It would suck if you are waiting on a takedown detent and a ban goes into effect. Besides you can always take it apart once you get it…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:21 pm 
Journeyman Member

G27 wrote:
Nords,

Thats funny I have also had my DPMS since Nov and ordered my Del-Ton kit on Dec 5th. Still in the waiting line for that to arrive.

:D

Yeah, I've been following the thread on AR15.com in "Industry" and then del-ton forum. People are giving their order # and when they got it. They are getting closer to the 'end of november' orders shipped, but since the number of orders then was exploding, it looks to be a good 2-4 months before ours are shipped, unless their new facility allows them to make more than 250 units a week :(

I'll let you know here when my M4 kit arrives.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.