Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 6:00 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Out of state long gun transfer (Iowa to MN) 
 Post subject: Out of state long gun transfer (Iowa to MN)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm going to be doing some side work this summer for a friend in Iowa, and he's interested in compensating me for some of it in the form of a barely-fired Ruger Mini-14.

What hoops are we going to have to jump through in order to keep this legal? I'll be in Iowa a lot, and he'll be in MN a lot, so we can work out whatever we need to...

Thanks,

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

In practice nothing will happen if you just bring it home or he brings it with him when he comes up here.

Legally though, you have to transfer it through an FFL in either state. If it were a handgun you'd have to do the transfer here. He can just take it his local gun shop or FFL and they'll book it in and do the usual 4473 and background check when they transfer it to you. If he brings it up here you can just go to your local FFL and do the same thing here.

IANAL

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.