Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 A local crime not in the news (yet?) 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:27 am 

I don't know much about the Somali community or their culture, but would I be mistaken to think that they are a very small, small number of CCW holders?

And if so, mostly males?

I'm not sure if in their cultures women usually have guns. This could make a big difference. Even if she could, doesn't mean she will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:16 am 
Longtime Regular

It's shameful when the perps families harass the victim.
It's even more shameful when the victim has to decide to go against her culture, her entire community, and her own family. There's a real risk of that in these cases.

Let's hope this young girl can get the help from her family and community to stand up and tell the world that in America women are citizens and equals and the barbaric practice of blaming the victim for the barbaric acts of predators is unacceptable.

This story, if all the facts check out, has the gut level feel that would strike a chord with many and would make an EXCELLENT investigative reporting piece.

If the girl and her family are brave enough and resolute enough to come forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:12 am 
Longtime Regular

Add me to the list of those willing to provide anything to help.

The Somali community is a male dominated one, the women are pretty much expected to be subserviant to the men and don't have a lot of freedoms.

This stuff really sucks, it is not uncommon in east africa for women to be executed for being raped. They afterall have had sex with a man they are not married to.

Well all that aside let me know what I can do to help.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:27 am 
Longtime Regular

There are a number of things here that work to the victim and her family's disadvantage. The male dominance is one, but the really big one IMO is the general reluctance to "rock the boat" in a fairly insular immigrant community.

I really hope the girl takes up one of the offers here. This crap needs to be stood up to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:14 am 
Longtime Regular

A small update:

The girls have been sent to live with relatives in an unspecified location in another state, maybe even separate places.

That would appear to be a reasonable choice under the circumstances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:12 am 

White Horseradish wrote:
A small update:

The girls have been sent to live with relatives in an unspecified location in another state, maybe even separate places.

This seems a bit bogus to me, especially if there are no news or police reports to substantiate it. News outlets would gobble stories like this for breakfast.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:51 am 
Journeyman Member

usmarine0352 wrote:
I don't know much about the Somali community or their culture, but would I be mistaken to think that they are a very small, small number of CCW holders?

And if so, mostly males?

I'm not sure if in their cultures women usually have guns. This could make a big difference. Even if she could, doesn't mean she will.

I think you could say that in almost any culture women will be in the minority as far as gun ownership is concerned. Considering that amongst the entire MN population there are a small number of permit holders, it would make sense to say the same thing for the Somali community.

I really hope the press doesn't turn this into some kind of culture thing, where the race of the victim or the rapists comes into play. Those guys were sick, plain and simple. It doesn't matter to me if they were white, black, or anything else. They committed a crime, and a particularly savage one at that. They need to be punished!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

gyrfalcon wrote:
White Horseradish wrote:
A small update:

This seems a bit bogus to me, especially if there are no news or police reports to substantiate it. News outlets would gobble stories like this for breakfast.

Know alot about east African communities do you?

Obviously not, there is a strong distrust of any offical involvement in these communities. In many cases in such insular societies they will not tell any outsider what happened, especially not the police given the incidents I quoted in the thread you accused me of being a liar.

I think you need to read a few books or refereed articles before you start talking out of your ass again.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

jac714 wrote:
gyrfalcon wrote:
White Horseradish wrote:
A small update:

Obviously not, there is a strong distrust of any offical involvement in these communities. In many cases in such insular societies they will not tell any outsider what happened, especially not the police given the incidents I quoted in the thread you accused me of being a liar.

I think you need to read a few books or refereed articles before you start talking out of your ass again.

What's more, the victim here was a minor, so you won't see a lot of details in any press coverage, anyway.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:05 am 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
jac714 wrote:
gyrfalcon wrote:
White Horseradish wrote:
A small update:

What's more, the victim here was a minor, so you won't see a lot of details in any press coverage, anyway.

I'd go a step further. Minor, who is a member of an often disdained ethic group. Let's face it, the media usually only reports on the Somali community when one of their members does something bad...not when something bad happens to one of them.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:08 am 

chunkstyle wrote:

I'm not looking for details in press coverage, I'm just looking for any coverage. The Nashville police supposedly arrested these guys and I can't find any information to confirm it. Regardless of the girls age the media and police would generally publicize a story like this, especially when they have the bad guys in hand.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

Post subject: Re: A local crime not in the news (yet?)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:14 am 
Longtime Regular

I wrote a message to a Tennessee LEO I know. I'm hoping he can confirm the story or agree that there has been no coverage there either.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:00 am 
Site Admin

mrokern wrote:
I'd go a step further. Minor, who is a member of an often disdained ethic group. Let's face it, the media usually only reports on the Somali community when one of their members does something bad...not when something bad happens to one of them.
-Mark

But five of them did do something bad.

However, we don't know their ages either, and if they're young that might minimize news coverage (especially if a politically correct paper doesn't want to write anything about their ethnicity).

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.