Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:59 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 AW prices in the Twin Cities area 
 Post subject: AW prices in the Twin Cities area
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:44 pm 

Prices down here in South Florida are outrageous. I finally gave up on buying 2 Sig 556 SWAT models down here because #1 nobody could get them after 4 and a half months of them being on order, and #2 I'm being told now that the price I was quoted in January would now be double if they come in (by my LGS).

So, I decided to wait until I move up there and some time passes. What would be a good place to buy a Sig 556 or FS2000 up there? I also might need a Kahr MK40, just because nobody around here has one for sale and the distributors don't have any to send.

I realize I'll have to get a permit to purchase. Will I be eligible once I move there? I have a Florida Concealed Weapons permit and an ATF C&R FFL. Not sure if that would help speed up getting a permit to purchase or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

No, your FL CCW nor your C&R FFFL will not help you get your P2P faster.

By law, your local police chief has 7 (or 10, I don't remember) days to issue your permit to purchase. The P2P is good for 1 year.

If you get a MN P2C, it will also function as a P2P and is good for 5 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:59 pm 

Ok.

I just figured that since the point of the 7 days is (to my understanding) to serve as a cooling off period. I wondered if significant evidence that you already own a firearm or multiple firearms would render that purpose null.

I think I asked in another thread, but once you get a permit to purchase, is it good for multiple purchases within the year that it's valid?

Also, what are the requirements of residency if any to get a permit to purchase?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

LawGuy wrote:
I just figured that since the point of the 7 days is (to my understanding) to serve as a cooling off period. I wondered if significant evidence that you already own a firearm or multiple firearms would render that purpose null.

Nope. The law doesn't always make sense, LawGuy.

LawGuy wrote:
I think I asked in another thread, but once you get a permit to purchase, is it good for multiple purchases within the year that it's valid?

Yes.

LawGuy wrote:
Also, what are the requirements of residency if any to get a permit to purchase?

Probably just a MN driver's license, although I'm not sure about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:10 pm 

That's a problem. I have a Florida driver's license. What's the period of time to apply for residency in MN? Over 30 days mandatory?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:25 pm 

Bill's I think had a Sig 556 in stock, or two, last time I checked... (Bill's Robinsdale, not North) - not the best of prices, but considering the market...might be better than waiting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:12 am 

Cabelas in Rogers had a string of different EBRs in late March & early April. Several M&P15s (mostly OR), some Bushmasters, and a Remington or two. Prices seemed reasonable, all things considered. An M&P15OR with MSRP of $1,209 was selling for $999. Haven't seen any there for the last few weeks though.

BB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

LawGuy wrote:
Ok.

More to give the police the time to run the background check.

Bear in mind that the seven-day limit is widely ignored by police departments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:33 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Exactly, It's always fun to go down and have Minneapolis PD tell you it might take up to 3 weeks because the guy that does it is out of town.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
LawGuy wrote:
Ok.

lol...I'm still waiting for my PTP. It's been about 2 weeks....and I WORK where I applied. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
LawGuy wrote:
Ok.

lol...I'm still waiting for my PTP. It's been about 2 weeks....and I WORK where I applied. :lol:

Ah yes, nothing like violation of the law because there really isn't a penalty... :evil:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

BigBlue wrote:
Cabelas in Rogers had a string of different EBRs in late March & early April. Several M&P15s (mostly OR), some Bushmasters, and a Remington or two. Prices seemed reasonable, all things considered. An M&P15OR with MSRP of $1,209 was selling for $999. Haven't seen any there for the last few weeks though.

BB

They had all of the above last weekend also (May 16&17). Prices have moved up only slightly. They had at least one Sig 556 on the rack, not sure if there where more in back.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:22 pm 

oh well

Last edited by gman1868 on Fri May 22, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't believe there is a time limit to establish MN residency, at least not for a drivers license application. Apply right away. They might want to see something delivered to your address like a utility bill, a student ID card or a copy of your lease. Once you get the DL, you can apply for your PTP.

Now if you were applying for welfare or something they might require that you have resided in MN for a certain period of time.

The easiest way to find out is to call your local Chief of Police's office and ask them what the requirements are for the PTP.

Here is where you get the form:
http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/Forms/Documents/MNUniformFirearmApp.pdf

Here are the restrictions:

Quote:
The following restrictions apply to the possession of firearms, to transferee permits, and reports of transfer for handguns and semiautomatic
military-style assault weapons.
• Must be at least 18 years old to purchase a handgun or semiautomatic military-style assault weapons from a licensed dealer, and under federal
law must be at least 21 years old to acquire handguns from licensed dealers.
• Must not have been convicted of a crime of violence (as defined in Minnesota Statutes §624.712, subdivision 5) in Minnesota or elsewhere unless
civil rights have been restored and during that time you have not been convicted of any other crime of violence.
• Must not have been convicted of fifth-degree assault as defined in Minnesota Statutes §609.224 or domestic assault as defined in Minnesota
Statutes §609.2242 in Minnesota or elsewhere since August 1, 1992: (1) within 3 years of a previous assault conviction under Minnesota Statues
§609.221 to §609.224; or (2) where the assault victim was a family or household member, unless 3 years have elapsed since the date of
conviction and during that time you have not been convicted of any other fifth-degree or domestic assault.
• Must not have been judicially committed to a treatment facility in Minnesota or elsewhere as “mentally ill,” “mentally retarded,” or “mentally ill and
dangerous to the public.”
• Must not have been either convicted in Minnesota or elsewhere of unlawful use, possession or sale of a controlled substance (other than
possession of a small amount of marijuana), or hospitalized or committed for treatment for the habitual use of a controlled substance or
marijuana, unless you possess a certificate from a medical doctor or psychiatrist, or other satisfactory proof, that you have not abused a controlled
substance during the past two years.
• Must not have been confined or committed to a treatment facility in Minnesota or elsewhere as chemically dependent, unless you have completed
treatment.
• Must not be a peace officer who has been informally admitted to a treatment facility for chemical dependency, unless you possess a certificate
from the head of the treatment facility discharging or provisionally discharging you from that facility.
• Must not have been convicted in Minnesota or elsewhere of a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than a year (other than offenses
pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, restraints of trade, or similar offenses relating to the regulation of business practices)
unless your civil rights have been restored or the conviction has been pardoned, expunged, or set aside.
• Must not be a fugitive from justice.
• Must not be an unlawful user of any controlled substance as defined in Chapter 152 of Minnesota Statutes.
• Must not be an alien who is illegally or unlawfully in the United States.
• Must not have been discharged from the armed forces of the United States under dishonorable conditions.
• Must not have renounced your United States citizenship.
• Must not have been confined to a treatment facility in Minnesota or elsewhere as “mentally ill,” mentally retarded,” or “mentally ill and dangerous
to the public” or found incompetent to stand trial or not guilty by reason of mental illness unless you possess a certificate from a medical doctor or
psychiatrist licensed in Minnesota, or other satisfactory proof that you no longer suffer from this disability.
• Must not be subject to a court order that (1) was issued after a hearing of which you had actual notice and at which you had an opportunity to
participate; (2) restrains you from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner, a child of an intimate partner, or your own child, or
engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to that person or a child; and (3) includes a
finding that you represent a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child or by its terms explicitly prohibits the use,
attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury.
• Must not have been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as meant by 18 United States Code section 922(g)(9).

Last edited by Dee on Thu May 21, 2009 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Between Owatanna and Rogers, which one has the bigger "gun & gun accessories" (King of the Hill spoof intended) section/ ammo selection . . . typically?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.